Twist Rate on Black Diamond XR 45 cal.

M

Montanafan

I'm interested in buying the Black Diamond XR 45. In looking over the specs, I noticed that the twist rate is 1:20". Most of the other 45 calibers and even the 50 calibers have a 1:28" twist rate. How will this affect my choice of bullets or sabots? Is this twist rate suitable with CVA Power Belt bullets? Thanks for any help!

montanafan: Bart, what you have done is stumble into the newest point of discussion in muzzleloading after Pyrodex 777 synthetic powder! The 1:20 twist seems to shoot the PowerBelt and BlackBelt bullets pretty well, and also seems to handle the saboted rounds pretty well. It seems, though, that the length of the barrel is pretty critical. From what I have experienced, the longer barrels seems to do a better job of stabilizing the rounds. I would recommend a barrel somewhere in the 28 inch lengths, or longer, if they are available.

Bluelk: Thanks for the information. If that's the case, do you think the Thompson Omega .45, with a 28" barrel would be a better choice than the Black Diamond XR .45, with a 26" barrel? The only reason I was leaning toward the Black Diamond, was the fact that it handles musket caps and percussion caps, which are mandated in a few states.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom