Two more days

C

crazyaboutcoues

Couple more days and we'll be off on our NM archery Coues hunt. We got some more snow today, it might make it hard to get to the area. We decided not to pack in on horse back as originally planned. Just gonna make for a long morning ride. I went out to a different area on Saturday just in case we get snowed out. I saw 8 coues deer with one being of the male persuation. This area definetly has potential. I didn't see any rutting activity, no scraps or rubs, I saw three different sets of does with no bucks following. Hopefully the does will start heating up. :)

Anyone eles hunting NM archery?

I was out this weekend too Couesy...and I din't see any rutting activity either! Strange! I looked for both sepcies and neither had bucks with does...to be honest I didn't see very many bucks...not like normal. Wonder where they are? Maybe they're all giving each other "PEP talks"! I hope it heats up too...but I''m still coming either Thurs or Fri...

Scotty G.

Let me know where your staying, I'll stop by after my hunt on the first.

I may head out with bow in hand when I get back from Texas. I have an area I had planned to pack into with the goats. I may go in there and see what kind of Coues deer I find. Tommy and Scott good luck on your hunts. I'll be back in AZ on the evening of the 1st.

Scott

Thanks,

I'm ready to go. I have rattlin antlers, grunt tube, doe bleat and doe estrus pee scent. (yuck) I hope they feel like chasing does when I get there.

Crazy- We might just stay in a hotel in Cliff...I'll call yu and let you know. Cliff is a bit closer the Silver City...if there's a room to get!

Just a few more days!

Good luck Tommy...I know your hunt is tomorrow...arrow a biggen!

SCott G.

I went out yesterday morning. I rattled and grunted in a mule deer doe and a nice three point coues. Unfortunately the buck didn't give me a clear shot. He was about 50 yards in the brush just couldn't get the angle. For some reason the rut hasn't started. I was planning on hunting the first five days, but I think i'm goint to wait till the latter part of the hunt. We'll try it again on Saturday. To be continued :)

Went out this weekend and had some intense moments. Three different Coues bucks walks by the stand. 1 spike, 1 big fork, and a 100+ 4 point. The spike came under my stand at spitting distance, the fork was at thirty yards, unfortunatley he didn't give me a clear shot. And finally the bruiser!!:) He was coming right to the trail I was over looking. He stopped at about sixty yards, I tried grunting softly to try to coax him closer. he was not having it. The big boy put his nose to the ground and continued away from my stand. I spent most of the afternoon clearing some of the branches from my shooting lanes. I know he'll be back. I watched him make a scrape right before he left.

I also had a big 3 point muley at 18 yards for about three minutes. He stood there and posed for me, gave me every opportunity to take him. Luckly for him I want to take another couesy. Don't get me wrong, if he shows up close to the end of the hunt I might have to ablige him. :)

I'll be heading out Wed. again after this front blows through. It's just a matter of time. I hope! :)

Later

Crazy: I hope the bruiser comes back by in range. I bet it was neat but frustrating to see him but just out of bow range. Hope you get a shot........ Allen Taylor......

dont u hate for the next year new january bow hunting....that's sucks...hope u ll get that one soon....good luck....haven't see a coues in a long time....

vinihunt

Yeah, I'm not to impressed with the new season for next year. Jan. 10-18. I guess the game department thinks that the bow hunters are the reason why the deer poulation is down. They don't want us to hunt them in the rut. Oh well we will make do with what we have. I'm glad I decieded to work today, it's blowing pretty hard right now.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom