Two plead to killing endangered wolves

scottr

Two plead to killing endangered wolves
Updated: Friday, 07 Oct 2011, 10:43 AM MDT
Published : Friday, 07 Oct 2011, 10:43 AM MDT

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) - Two New Mexico man have pleaded guilty in federal court to killing Mexican gray wolves.

The office of U.S. Attorney Kenneth J. Gonzales announced Thursday that 60-year-old Jack Bruton, of Magdalena, N.M., and 57-year-old Ron Rains, of Reserve, N.M., entered guilty pleas to federal misdemeanors in two separate cases.

Prosecutors said Bruton shot and killed a wolf in April 2010 after misidentifying the wolf as a coyote and then removed the GPS collar worn by the wolf. Bruton was ordered to pay a $250 fine and $4,095 in restitution, including $2,095 to cover the value of the destroyed GPS devise.

Rains was ordered to pay a $250 fine and $1,000 in restitution after shooting a wolf in December 2010 after misidentifying it as a coyote.

If I'm reading this correctly...that's pretty cheap.

$4,345 for one wolf and $1,250 for the other...moral of the story is make sure you mistook the wolf for a coyote.

it is a small crazy world.. when I was hunting in the gila this year I ran across the guy from Reserve... He basically gave me the same story but he didn't mention taking off the collar... He also said that the wolf was 32lbs and looked ROUGH!!!

Sounds like he made an honest mistake and manned up..

J
www.thenewmexicosportsman.com

a wolf that only weighs 32 pounds would definitely look like a coyote...could be an honest mistake. Only thing that matters is that it's one more dead wolf.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom