Two Utah ML Elk w/story and pics

out4elk

Me and my brother started our trip 6 days before the limited entry ML hunt to put the finishing touches on our scouting. By the time our hunt started we were very excited. On opening morning both the bulls we had spotted were spooked by ML deer hunters and vanished, we couldn't find either of them so we move on to other canyons. A couple good hunting friends of mine came down on the second day of our hunt to help me and my brother. On day 3 of our hunt my brother got his opportunity at a nice bull and connected. He got his first lesson on exactly how tough these big bulls were. It took us three days to track his bull and find it dead, nearly five miles from where he shot it. It was only me and my brother hunting on the day we found the bull at 1:00 pm. It took us until 7 pm that night to get the antlers out; bull had died the first night so the meat was not salvageable.
4776765f6fb22d19.jpg

477676f3718db8fe.jpg

We got my brothers bull back to camp on Sunday night, Monday morning he had to leave for work reasons which left me on my own for the remaining 4 days of my hunt. Monday was day 11 of hiking this mountain of foot with pack. I was physically and near mentally done hiking that pile of lava rocks, with nobody to give me a pep talk I didn't get down in the nasty stuff again. On Tuesday evening I went for a ride with the wife and twins to do some glassing. We found a herd of elk two ridges west of me that had a 6X7 bull with good mass and palmations. I decided that I would take this bull and started the sneak on him. I was sneaking through quakies and for the life of me couldn't stay quiet but this bull kept bugling and never left. I had finally snuck in close enough to see the elk on the opposite ridge through the quakies but I was still a bit far. As soon as I started moving again a deer busted me and ran right for the elk, I was sure it was OVER. Much to my surprise the elk didn't leave and the bull kept bugling. I finally snuck within shooting distance of the bull but he was not giving me a shot. His cows were frozen and he was running back and forth across the top of the herd trying to push them down into the draw I was sitting in. He actually bull dozed one of the cows with his chest and knocked her down the hill, this gave me my shot. Remembering how tough these bulls could be I reloaded and gave him one more.
47766dba19311dc9.jpg

47767b56201d2615.jpg

The best part was my wife watched the whole thing happen in the spotting scope. My dad and another good friend of mine from the area came up early the next morning to help cape and pack him back to the truck.

When we got back to camp on Wednesday my wife had lunch fixed and camp packed up. I would not have been able to hunt the way I did without her. She had breakfast fixed every morning at 4:30 and had dinner warmed up at night when we got back to camp; after 14 days of this routine she wanted very much to head home.

My ONLY regrets with this hunt is pictures. I never took the time to take good pictures throughout the hunt and once we got the bulls down we went to work and didn't take time for pictures until the work was over.

?Here?s to the hero's that Git-R-Done!!?

Congrats to the both of you on successful hunt along with the stories and pictures, thanks for posting them.

Brian

Very nice bulls! Thanks for sharing your story. As a new muzzleloader guy, what were you shooting for slugs, powder charge etc. To what do you attribute the long track job on your brothers bull? Was it a bad hit? Too bad he lost the meat but way to stick with it and not just shoot another bull! Have a great Holiday!

Chad

Elk fever facilitated a good gut shot. My brother also got excited and started trailing the bull right away which I believe put the bull in travel mode. By the time we found him we had used an entire roll of orange marking ribbon.

Both of us shoot A&H muzzleloaders with Silver 338 gr PB's and 100gr of 777

Congrats on a couple of fine bulls! Good job on sticking it out and finding your brothers bull. It's unfortunate the meat was lost, but at least he tagged the bull he had shot and you guys didn't just give up and go look for another bull to shoot.

Just for my info, do you think your brother jumped the bull? In other words do you think having waited would have meant the bull was found a lot faster and a lot closer?

Great bulls, congrat's! Where there a lot of broken horned bulls (I flip flop between muzzy and bow apps in Utah)?

Also, great job sticking with looking for a the bull, to date that is the longest time/distance I have heard of recovering an elk. That alone deserves congrat's, way to stick it out! To bad about the meat, but it never goes to waste, nature takes care of it.

I think that had the bull been given time after the shot he might have let the sickness get the best of him a little sooner but who knows.

We followed his tracks until we ran out of tracks and then we spent at least two hours circling trying to pick up more tracks with no luck. While eating lunch Tad decided to back track and follow our tape trail again. After lunch was over Tad decided he was going to hike halfway up the north slope of the canyon and check out a little patch of quakies. I started back tracking and all of a sudden Tad started screaming, I thought he had hurt himself. The bull had traversed the sidehill into that patch of quakeis and bedded down (I think the on the first night) and died in bed. We tried to find out where his trail hit the side hill but couldn't.

My brother did an excellent job on the bull even with a little bit of elk fever. He knew that he hit the bull of a lifetime and would not give up. I can tell you right now that it was the sick feeling in our guts that kept us looking that last day, we were both literally sick that morning. Looking back there are always things we would do differently but all we can do is apply those to next time.

I saw very few broken antlers during the ML season

It all ended well that what counts, Nice bulls, a good time that about as close as it gets.

>So how were you and your
>brither so lucky to draw
>2 ML tags? What
>unit were you hunting?

you said it "LUCKY"

I had 9 pts, my brother had 5 pts and my dad had 10pts but didn't draw. He didn't speak with either of us for at least a week either.

Actually my brother figured out the secret to drawing so listen up everyone.

1. Buy a new house and relocate to the opposite side of Utah
2. Start a new job and have no paid vacation earned
3. Have a new baby

You must do all of this within a 6 month period, the 6 month period must start in April right before the draw results are posted.

Great story! Thanks for sharing, and hats off to you and your brother for sticking with the wounded animal, and tagging it. And I totally agree with earlier post, although yall didn't get the meat, it was not wasted, some scavengers will be much fatter going into winter.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom