two way radios

fullofbull

Those of you that hunt in the way backs (dark timber), what kind of range do you get out of two ways if you use them (50%, 25%, 10% of published range).
Looking at Cabelas and Cobra has new models of two way radios with ranges up to 25 miles. I would guess that they might be good for 5 miles in rough terrain.
Can anyone shed light on this from their own experiences??

Thanks

FOB

I currently have a midland that was advertised to 7 miles if memory serves me correctly. The best range I have ever acheived was, I believe, around 1 to 1-1/2 miles in the woods. Would like to hear about other member experiences.

Have used motorola's from the start back when there was no visual number screen and still using them. Buds have used all types but the Motorola's seem to have the most range and battery life. Now using the newer GMRS "higher power" Motorola's right along with the old ones. Real range in open flat country about 1.5-2 miles with a lucky 3 sometimes. On each side of a hill not even half a mile. In the dark timber about .5 mile. Line of sight mountain to mountain we have gone 10-15 miles depending on weather.

i bought some vhf marine radios , they are heavyer than a frs but they work great in timbered idaho country, i got about 5 miles from them. in open desert i got 6-7 miles i didnt try any longer range though . i got 11 miles from home to the job site . the wife was on the upstairs deck i was on a 2 story roof. im happy with them. it seems like they cost about 115 each

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom