Type 1 diabetes

treedagain

Long Time Member
Just got the news my 19yr old Grandson was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and now spending a few days in the hospital. He is lean and very athletic so it was a shock...Who here has or knows of the ins and outs of this? I did not think it could come on this late? Thought it was a born condition. But apparently not.
Kind of a hard blow. ?

My wife's cousin got the same diagnosis, same age.

Sucks.

BUT, he has a insulins monitoring "device", about the size of a cell phone that controls his levels.

He does everything he did previous, even drinks beer(not a great idea). Works great.

Just got the news my 19yr old Grandson was just diagnosed with type 1 diabetes and now spending a few days in the hospital. He is lean and very athletic so it was a shock...Who here has or knows of the ins and outs of this? I did not think it could come on this late? Thought it was a born condition. But apparently not.
Kind of a hard blow. ?
Damn! Sorry to hear that. One of my close friends received the same diagnosis at 20.

sounds like he takes care of himself so he’s way ahead of most people.

Hi Treed,
My 13 year old has T1D. He was diagnosed at age 8 and T1D hasn't stopped us at all. We have done numerous archery hunts, backpacking trips, camping, canoeing ect. All like before. Don't get me wrong this is a game changer but his Dexcom CGM is the most important thing to wear, provides blood glucose readings every five minutes and he uses an OmniPod for insulin delivery. You do have to plan more, when we do backpacking trips I bring all sorts of extra stuff from pods, insulin, needles, juice boxes, receivers, battery packs, transmitters, ect but don't let anyone tell him he can't do something. We have a R2R trip planned in October. There are lots of professional athletes in every sport out there that have T1D. Last week he took second in the 14 Y and under sand volleyball tournament. There are lots of theories on why the body attacks your Beta cells in your pancreas but the cause is still unknown. There are some great encapsulation work efforts out there that look to be the best bet for a "cure" but that is still years away. You can PM if you want to talk more.

Best of luck to him Mr Treed!
I know nothing about it but from the posts above it sounds like he should live a pretty “normal” life. The new normal maybe.
Again best to him!!!
Zeke

I know more than I’d like to admit. I’ve been diabetic for 33 yrs.It will get easier as time goes on and once you’ve got it figured out it just becomes life. No reason to hold back. He should do everything he wants to do. Best of luck to your grandson and yourself. Pm me if you want to chat some more.

My dads younger brother had that same diagnosis at 23. We’ve had a few scares over the years when he’d run himself ragged bailing hay or cleaning out grain bins. Main thing is to stay ahead of it , eat right , keep your levels where there supposed to be. He’s also tall and pretty fit so that helps. Hardest part was watching him stick himself for over 30 years with those disposable syringes. Never stopped him from doing anything tho , 63 now and still kicking nicely ! Best of luck to him !

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom