UAC--3 strikes, You're out!

velvetmonster

I've made my last visit and/or phone call to the Utah Archery Center. The last two times I've been there I've walked away feeling like I did something wrong. Either they didn't like the equipment I was shooting or they were putting someone else down. Today I called looking for a price on a bow for my son. I asked if they could put together a package bow for him with some reasonably priced accessories. The guy acted like I just beat his kid with a stick. I explained to them that Humpries Archery was offering a package deal on a Hoyt Ruckus but that I'd rather buy it from UAC. I wasn't even asking him to price match. The guy said, "We're not doing that so go buy your stuff from them". I will take his advice and will never again do business with the Utah Archery Center.

VM

Sorry to hear you where treated that way. Humphries has treated my wife and my self with the upmost respect. So they continue to get our buisness from now on. Just waiting for the new Jewel for the wife.

+1 - I went in to shoot on their range a week or so ago and got the same feeling. As soon we walked in the door my buddy and I got that look of "what the hell are you doing here". No thanks...

WOW!! They didn't have a combo sale!
They looked at us funny.... WAH WAH WAH what a bunch of cry babys... UAC has been top notch for me I have been there way after their regular hours so they could help me out and get me on my way. Besides alot of other things, I have to stand up for them. G is the man and will always have my buisness.

A friend of mine told me to go there to get some work done on my bow, he said they had always done right by him, so I went. I tell them what I shoot, they say it's junk and I'm doing my self an injustice by even shooting it. Then they turn to my wife and say if you love him you should buy him a new bow. Didn't appreciate the whole experience. Needless to say I will NOT EVER be going back! Some guys may like them, I say to each their own. Just my. 02?

Wow! Southslope....is your name Gerald? You sound just like them.. Better get your help from them soon...from what I hear they won't be around for long...You know nothing about me but yet you call me a crybaby? You may change your tune if we ever meet in person..

As far as UAC...I'll tell 10 people, they tell 10 people..Trust me UAC cannot afford to lose ANY business. I guess time will tell if the way they treat customers is a good business plan for them.

Oh, and if you could read you would see that I wasn't looking for a "combo sale", just a little courtesy to a paying customer.

VM

SouthSlope...Say what you want about others comments but you would have to agree that if for every four customers that come into my store, three decide to vote with their feet rather than their wallet then its obvious my business plan is flawed. I am sure manufacturers like Hoyt and Mathews are thrilled to know this is the kind of service people are getting at their pro shops.

G definitely knows what he is doing, and he has done a great job for me in the past but I would never take my wife or kid in there. I don't want my 5 year old learning the "F" word and my wife yelling at me for it :)

I'm not saying that they don't know their stuff about archery, and "G" is probably an awesome guy. I'm saying if I'm the owner of the store and an employee told my customer that the equipment they're using is junk and it's an "injustice " to shoot it, I think I would be finding a new employee! I figure hoyt would like how customers owning their bows are being treated. Maybe not just my opinion.

I have nothing but great things to say about UAC because I've always been treated great by Gerald. I'll continue supporting his shop. Sorry to hear you had a bad experience...I doubt it's very common though because whenever I go in, the shop is packed with people!! :)

~Z~

I stress it time and time again. Wilde Arrow is the place to go. For as much time as I spend there only once have they not been top notch to a guy. He came in looking for a bow for self defense. Nobody, not even the customers who over heard it could help from laughing. The guy was clueless that he was getting laughed at and we all got scolded for laughing.

The guys there will set you up tune the shiz out of your bow and send you packin for the hunt of a lifetime. I dont worry about my equip[ment failing me when i buy it from there. Plus i know that if something goes wrong they have such a great relationship with the hoyt and mathews reps that crap gets done and fast.

just my 2 cents... or more like .25... :)

It was a big bodied 2 point.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-07-11 AT 11:52PM (MST)[p]never_catch--

I think you might be surprised about how common my experience is. People have come out of the woodwork with similiar stories to mine. I don't doubt you've been treated well. I was treated well on several visits (hence the reason I called them in the first place). I'm also not discounting G's knowledge...he does know his stuff. I gave them three shots at retaining me as a customer and they failed (for the record, only once was it G). I've spoken with several people who go there only because of the location and aren't sure of an alternative. I've referred people to Wilde Arrow, Humphries, and now Full Draw. I'm not saying you shouldn't go there if you are treated well. I'm saying that for those that feel like me....there are other, better options.

VM

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-11 AT 00:23AM (MST)[p]I'm not arguing with you but I only deal with G so I know exactly what service/information/results I'm getting before I even walk in the door. If I had to wait a month, I'd wait a month...never had to, just sayin!! NOBODY knows thier chit when it comes to western big game archery hunting or how to set up a hunting bow like G...that's why I ONLY deal with him. I've had G setting my bows up for over 15 years and never had a bad experience with the man. I bought a full priced bow from him a couple years ago when I could have got it for several hundred dollars cheaper because I felt I'd owed him for the great service he had always given me. Again, sorry you had a bad experience...

Side thought...if I were in your shoes I would talk to G about the guy who treated you bad instead of blasting negative chit all over the MM about his shop.

~Z~

I had nearly the same experience and will never go back to them EVER!!!! Even if it's opening morning, and they are the only shop open and I need a new string. NEVER. I gave them too many chances, and I hated being treated like sh#t. Whether it was about some new girl they were hitting, going to the gym, going tanning, or sh$t talking, that's all I heard in there. Sure Gerald knows his stuff, but so do a lot of other people, and if I have to drive 30 minutes to get a little respect and appreciation for my business, it's well worth it to me. I will never reccomend that anyone goes there.

Oh and nevercatch, it was G with whom I had bad experiences with, he's one of the worst there, so I don't feel bad about saying these things.

LAST EDITED ON Aug-08-11 AT 02:07PM (MST)[p]I like jakes they are quick you never get treated like garbage. Cool staff customer service is excellent and they are fast.

I have had good luck at Wilde Arrow and Top of Utah Archery. For tune ups and work done on a bow, I always use Top of Utah. Lnce is really good.

Wilde Arrow is really good if it is a brand they sell.

never_catch,

It appears that you know G very well. If that is true what do you think his response would be? Yeah, exactly. Waste of time. No one is going to tell G how to run his shop, and no one should. It's his decision. I just think it's going to put him out of business. I don't hope for that and I would love to see him be successful if that's what his customers are looking for in a shop. I'm just not one of those customers anymore.

VM

Just checked out a Mathews Craze for my son from Wilde Arrow. Good people that seemed to appreciate my business. I'll be picking the bow up later this week. Happy to give them $500 for a youth bow and accessories. And, because we have two Mathews bows and one Hoyt in the family, they will be our new go to shop!

VM

Hope all you "Cry Babys" stay out of UAC that way I won't have to wait in line so long.. lol Yeah I will admit its not the kind of place to take your kids or hear kind words or anything he is not going to tell you what you want to hear he will tell you how it is... I drive many hours one way to G and as long as he is in biz I always will. I want a Pro to handle my bow not some softy full of shizz thats kind in his words and good at customer service. For me he works great and I send everyone I can that way.

I gave up on UAC after buying 2 Hoyts and 1 Mathews in a three month span all fully rigged with quivers Sure Loc's etc. My wife went in to have the draw weight on her bow adjusted, she waited and waited and waited. She wasn't waiting for anything more than the G man to finish a bull session with the usual crowd. Another thing I noticed was everything you buy from UAC has already been tried out by G' s buddies. Nothing comes in a package. I have watched them take stuff out of the drawers and put it on and take it off their bows. WTF. I have since taken my business to Wilde Arrow, pretty damn happy with what I have been getting from that shop. G is a great tuner but that isn't enough to get me back in his shop

While I'm ranting would it kill UAC to have some inventory? I'm a lefty and Wilde Arrow always has lefty stuff in stock. UAC doesn't have chit in stock.

Southslope82, you must feel like a big man talkin' so much crap to some guys you never met! I'm glad you like UAC, saves me the trouble of having to meet your sorry carcass. This whole post was about voicing concern with a certain shop, not trying to upset you. Good luck on the upcoming hunts.
Sincerely one of the " cry babies "! Lol

I'm not arguing with anyone on here, learned long ago arguing on the internet is pointless...I'm happy with G and UAC so I'll continue doing business with him, simple as that. AGAIN!! sorry you had a bad experience...

And I don't know G really well. I simply know that he knows his chit when it comes to setting up a bowhunting rig...and what would his response be?? Ask him if you want to know...

~Z~

never_catch,

You are absolutely right...arguing is pointless and I didn't start this post to argue with anyone. However, the responses speak for themselves. Of the 13 posters thus far, 2 will continue to use UAC, 10 seem like they won't ever go back, and one would never take family there (not sure if he will go back). That seems like pretty substantial evidence that my experiences there are common.

And, no, I won't ask G anything. My new shop (Wilde Arrow) and new range (Full Draw) suit me just fine.

VM

Hey southslope, you should apply for a job at UAC. You seem to have the perfect personality and class they look for.

UAC is more a "Bro" shop than a "Pro" shop. Like most poeple, I like Gerald, I respect his opinion and skill, but I have stopped using his shop.
There is an "us against them" culture in his shop. He cators to the hard core, young, elite bowhunter.
Hey G,
Don't forget the average hunter can't afford a $2000 set up every year. (We only wish we could}

Wow im surprised by this post. Ill admit im a faithful customer to g and uac. Never once have I been treated wrong. I take my wife and kids their to shoot, g and anyone working there have always helped with anything me or my kids have needed. Yesi have had to wait months at times to get what I want, not on Uacs inventory list but because g carries top of the line equipment and it sells quick. G buys all accessories from jakes so if jakes is out then so is uac. I've never heard them talk bad about any other shop until someone asks. I've watched countless walk in after buying from wilde arrow or any other shop. Just remember every shop has upset someone one time or another. There isn't 1 single person in utah running a shop that's as good as g is at archery related know how. Whenever my kids are in there they are always respectful of their language. They know how to control that in their presence. Until G pisses me off I will keep going there without fail...

Sorry to hear about your bad experiences... but its not like that with everyone..

I have to disagree with you. I think the guys at wilde arrow are more intune and up to date with their bow knowledge than geral is or could ever be. Its a generation thing. The guys at wilde arrow know their shat and stay in the know about everything. They buy there stuff from dealers so if Jakes is out then its ok, Wilde Arrow still has plenty of equipment.

I brought this topic up at Wilde Arrow with some of the people that were in there and they had the exact same "complaints" as most on here do.

"he doesn't have anything in a package. It come off his bow or someone there's bow and onto mine. I never feel like I'm getting a NEW product that I pay a NEW PRODUCT PRICE FOR."

Another guy said he couldn't take his wife in there and has since moved his business to a more family frienly shop.

If you are the league night heavy beer drinking kinda guy with no filter on your mouth thats the shop for you.

But I'm not that guy. Thats why WA is my shop of choice.

It was a big bodied 2 point.

OUCH!!! I dont blame you, i own a archery shop and if i found an employee acting like that they would be fired on the spot!!

LAST EDITED ON Aug-12-11 AT 04:16PM (MST)[p]The last two archery shops were 180 degrees from one another. Tue first shops that I dealt with back in Texas was good when I first started going there, but after a while it went downhill, the guy that was the manager got another job and the guy that was left from when I started going in there got out of archery and into shotguns. That was about the time that I got moved to Alaska, and that was where I got introduced to Uncle Bill. Bill Cyphers is the gentleman that owns Backcountry Archery, and he is an awesome guy to deal with. There was times I would go in there to BS with him rather than shoot. He didn't have a wide selection, but he could get you anything you wanted. Also something else that was interesting, I called him before I moved to Alaska and asked him how much a new Switchback XT was running. Here was the next shock, it was about $100 cheaper with him than the shops in my town in Texas was, when I told him that his reply was, "Why?". So he was always good to his customers, even those that got bows from someplace else. I recommend any of you that if you need archery work on a trip to Alaska, go to Uncle Bill in Anchorage, you won't be disappointed.
WVBOWAK

Tabby--

Wow, I guess I should thank you for bringing this to G's attention. It will at least enlighten him to some people's perception of his shop. It's now up to him as to what he does to try to change those perceptions. I would love to see him get on this forum and tell us what changes he is talking about.

VM

G is the man and knows everything...but that kid Wes he has working for him is a duche bag

>I showed G this post and
>he assured me changes at
>UAC will be made

Glad he is following the number one rule of business. If you don't take care of the customer, someone else will.
WVBOWAK

This is a funny post because me and my dad had this same experience there 5 years ago. My first bow was a PSE Nova and the dude at UAC told me it was a piece of crap. I was like wow I'm sure glad I just bought this bow and its all I can afford as a teenager. Never went back. Which sucks for them because I spend A TON on archery equipment now that I'm a little older. I had a bad experience at Humphries with one of their newer employees not getting my arrows done on time, and not even having the decency to give me a call. when I came back they just said well come back again.When I did get my arrows it looked like a grade school kid had glued my vanes on, they weren't even adhered in some spots. pretty shoddy work for something that's so easy to do. The only shop I even go to now is Jakes because if they do something that is less than perfect and I show them, they fix it on the spot no questions asked. They also know what their talking about.

i debated weighing in on this post, but I'm in the majority here. Only I was a One and done. I don't need to hear what a piece of chit my bow is, as 5 others sit around and laugh...

And I aint crying about the treatment I got, just telling a story.

48696fc97cd60c01.jpg

Ya agreed on that jakes is very good about that I bought a half dozen of carbon express maxima hunter 250s and they kept losing blazer vanes i talked to the guy at jakes he said not a problem the fletchings are on us its our fault. Like them guys alot. One thing I can say about Gerald is he is very good at tuning a bow and knows alot about bows.

Same thing here. I was in the area and stopped in walked out wondering if I was back in Jr High. Then I drove down to Jakes. Those guys are the best. Hummpys is a joke also with their attitude of ours is bigger and better than yours and we can shoot farther than you. I'd always drive farther to deal with decent people and Jakes is far and away the best I have dealt with.

Well I agree with VM 100% on this. I have bowhunted for over 25 years and I would NEVER do ANY business with UAC. I don't know G personally but I think Jake the owner of Jakes Archery has forgotten more than G will ever know. Just my opinion but another archer that will never do business at UAC.

Wapiti,

I don't want to put G out of business. This post was never about that. I hope he actually makes changes so that we have another option. I won't be calling anyone to complain....if G continues as he has done it will take care of itself. I'm heading over to Full Draw Archery today to swap out rests on my bow and pick up another dozen arrows. There are several good alternatives that I have been using and I'm perfectly happy with them. G has now lost $500+100+130+24 =$754 of my money. No I wouldn't be his best customer but that money has gone to Full Draw and Wilde Arrow....and they seem appreciative..

VM

Debating to weigh in on this topic or not, but there is 1 thing I am for sure of and that is The Customer is #1, always. If you deal with any business that acts or believes otherwise, then a reputation is created and over time a small reputation can snowball into a Big-Irreversible reputation.

I live in the East valley down here in AZ. I had the same problem with a reputable pro shop here. I choose not to take my business to them. (no biggie, there are other options in town)

I don't get these guys at pro shops that are so prideful, always wanting to push their products on you, always pushing their opinions on you. Example: There are a hundred different arrow rests to be put on a bow, most of them will give you a great shot. But pro shops always push this and that on you. I walked into one wanting a Limb Driver with my Sure Loc sight, they said it couldn't be done and were pushing a capture rest.

It almost makes me want to go start my own pro shop.

And what really hurts us is that when these experiences happen we end up taking our business to the Big Box Stores and it hurts the little guys that can really tinker and tune our bows the right way.

One more unsatisifed customer here. Hope they see this and recongize there are some needed changes due.

Archery gear is big bucks and I'll be damned if I'm spending my cash at a place that makes you feel like an outsider or a dumbass. Heaven forbid I ask a few questions.

Now to be fair, the work they did was great, but come on customer service 101 was clearly a class they all missed.

They have never seen a dime of mine and absolutely never will. There are a few on here that I value their oppinions very highly. I don't need to experience piss poor customer service myself to learn a lesson. This "G" dude better make some serious changes but I'm afraid that the damage is already done. Does this guy know how valuable word of mouth is? MM has tens of thousands of visits per day. Ouch! Nothing like free advertising. Not sure who goes into business and thinks that customer service is not #1. Personally, I will pay more for an item if I know the customer service is excellent.

Southslope - if I were you I would start looking for another shop. From the sounds of it, if this guy keeps this stuff up he won't be there for you much longer. Either that or he will be your own personal bow tech.

It's always an adventure!!!

When I first got into archery hunting a few years ago I went into G's shop looking for help. I ended up walking out with a bow that didn't fit because it's what he had on the shelf. Didn't know any better at the time. Since then I've probably spent $15,000 at archery shops without a dime of it going to G. I also convinced numerous people to purchase elsewhere. He'll never see a penny from me again, or anyone else I can convince.

At the time I'm sure he thought he was making a little money, but in the end it cost him more than he'll ever know.

Funny, how out of 40 some odd posts to this thread, only one person claims to be a loyal customer. So if that was his client base that is less that 5% (more like 2%) of customer loyalty. Wow chitty way to run a business when you are upsetting more people than you make happy, change something or he will be kicking a can down a road and end up working the archery counter at Sportsmans Warehouse or something like that.
WVBOWAK

Okay with three loyal customers that bumps it up to just over 6%.
WVBOWAK

I have enjoyed seeing this thread pulled to the top every so often, just to remind me why I go elsewhere for my archery equip.

UAC...where you pay full retail for used shitt.
UAC...where a good BS session trumps any customer needs.
UAC...ah I'll leave it alone this is like fishin' in a barrel.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom