UGH!!!!Access!!

P

PLP

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 04:55PM (MST)[p]Who else is going thru this?Trying to talk to landowners about simply crossing their land on an existing road in order to reach landlocked land..in Wyoming...well I talked to 4 today..keep in mind i just want to drive a small section of road

#1 says they are leased out..call the leasee..so i did,and was told NO ACCESS and is pretty blunt,and doesnt want to talk anymore about it..

#2 says he is worried about the fire danger,so no..maybe next year

#3 says they let people hunt their land..about 150 at no charge,but they want to cut back on the hunters,and the antelope are really stressed,and most of them are long gone..so in a nice way..NO

#4 says their land is leased out and absolutley no access across..

I thought there was supposed to be friendly people in WY,that were just eager and willing to let anyone hunt,or cross land to help with the pesty antelope...gee wiz western hunting is not what the magazines make it out to be...well they are mostly all hunting on leases,so I guess that western hunting is what you see on tv..Anyone else going thru this?

That's some funny schnit right there, I don't care who you are. What've you been smoking since the internet started rolling along. Anyone who has researched anything about Wyoming hunting knows yer not gonna get on quality landlocked public ground without some cash or are a friend of someone with connections. And I ain't talking about hunter access lands. Good luck in your search...

LAST EDITED ON Jul-17-12 AT 06:56PM (MST)[p]+1 It ain't like the good old days when I was growing up where all you had to do is ask politely and they said to have at it and even told you the best spots to hit. I guess the OP hasn't looked at all the units with red stars showing difficult public access in the application booklet and I'd wager money he has a tag or two in one of those units.

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 02:12PM (MST)[p]I just moved here from GA...Always hear guys say the landowners welcome them with open arms...just meet people at the store,or call them,or knock on doors..Well...Im getting a rude awakening..lol
I wish you would wager..lol...Im not an idiot..just not from around here..I am trying to secure access BEFORE i buy a leftover..or else just deal with what I have to in whichever area I decide to..

So pay up..lol

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 04:07PM (MST)[p]Ive had pretty good results just knocking a few doors in WY. Being polite and offering to help with things like mend fence or keep an eye out for poachers has worked. Also taking say maybe a doe or 2 the first year has gotten me an invite back and establish a relationship. Also if you want to hunt that public ground that bad pay the trespass fee and go hunt it.

It has been many years since I last hunted in WY but there was a coupon on your tag that you would drop off at the landowners place where you took your animal. They got about $7.50 for it if I remember correctly. Most anyone that I asked for permission to hunt their land was very gracious about allowing me if I was sure to drop the coupon in their box if I was sucessful. Guess things have changed.....do they still have the coupons on the tags for the landowners?

I'm not sure...I finally got some good news tho!!After several days of not getting any help from WG&F(called GW's with no call backs,called 9 different biologists,only one answered but he was too busy to talk{why answer?},and making about 20+ phone calls to landowners it finally happened..Found a landowner who was willing to let me on his land,and gives me access to a total of about 14,000 acres.For a real reasonable fee!So..got a place to go..got tag secured..going to go visit him in a few weeks just to come shoot pdogs with my family,and I am going to bring him some burgers...Things are finally looking up!

Hope to have a successful hunt and be able to share my 1st antelope hunt with pics later in the season.Good luck to all!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-18-12 AT 08:57PM (MST)[p]Good for you, and incidentally, I live in Michigan, LOL! The $7.50 landowner coupon must have been many moons ago because it's now $16.

You mention bringing the landowner some burgers, we have found ranchers to be a big fan of some prime pork and chickens. I ain't talking just a few pounds either. We'll bring um a couple of whole pork loins and whole chickens. Has worked in the past.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I work for a popular name brand hamburger factory and my wife is the office manager.It still costs me,but I can load em up..lol

It is sad that our hunting traditions have changed so radically. I grew up on a small ranch and remember taking my gun and just going, crossing any fence I came to. Nobody seemed to care, as long as you took care of their property.
Now most good land is leased out to outfitters or well-heeled hunters and obviously, they are going to control access.
The good news is, that you can still obtain access to great hunting with some work.
Every spring, my son and I go talk to landowners. We always stop and help out a rancher or farmer when you see them stacking hay or fixing a fence. We also volunteer to go brand or some other chore. We generally manage to gain access to new places, and maintain our access to places we had in the past. Do this well before hunting season.
Then take them a nice basket of homemade food (we do smoked chickens, turkeys, brisket, salmon, jams, cookies, etc.). We also take the a bottle of wine for the Missus and a bottle of good stuff for the rancher/farmer.
We do that again right before hunting season and volunteer a Saturday to help out around the place.
We are now good friends with many of the people that let us hunt. Just don't expect access right before season, and especially if you are knocking on their door at inconvenient times. Plan it out way in advance.
Good Luck,
WyMo

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom