Uintas Mountain Goat

T

tjackson

We finally drew a mountain goat tag for the central Uinta mountains (Yellowstone and Uinta river drainages). Can anyone give me some ideas about where to start scouting this summer?

Thanks!

Maybe you could start at the heads of the Yellowstone and Uinta Drainages. Probably above timerline, of course on the highest peaks in the unit. Good luck on the hunt, scouting will be the real hunt, shooting them is easy.

Hey TJ,

I drew the willard peak goat tag this year. I'll send you an email with my contact info, we should stay in touch and share tips and tactics.

I'm a bit lucky because I know where they are in my unit, i've been watching them for years and I live where I can see them in a spotting scope from my house. The challenge for me is going to be finding the best billy and getting close enough for an archery or muzzleloader shot, without having him fall off a 1000ft cliff!

Corey

With the traveling distances then the hiking into the primitive area I'll only be able to do two scouting trips before the season opens so I'm hoping to narrow down the search just a little.

My step dad drew the tag with 5 bonus points. He has already drawn a Henry's mountain buffalo tag, a Manti elk tag and a Pansauguant deer tag (plus an Arizona elk tag with 0 bonus points last year). He has more luck than anyone I've met.

The good part for me is I can be a full participant in the hunt (except for the shot) and I don't have to buy the tag nor pay the taxidermist! At least this makes me feel a little better after I didn't draw anything.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom