Ukraine Next

...no worries, Obama is too smart to do something stupid....especially with John Kerry on point....

When you go swimming in the ocean, it is very cold, and it makes my willy small

I am sure President Obama can do for the people of the Ukraine the same as he did for the people of Libya and Syria.

Nemont

Here is a novel idea. Let's send taxpayers hard earned money (lots of it) and tons of weapons to the young punk rebels. Got to be a winning combo.

I have an even better novel idea, lets get senior officials in the whitehouse to sell arms to terrorists, and then take that money and fund the rebels.
That way congress can't get in the way, heck they wouldn't even need to know about it.

>I have an even better novel
>idea, lets get senior officials
>in the whitehouse to sell
>arms to terrorists, and then
>take that money and fund
>the rebels.
> That way congress can't get
>in the way, heck they
>wouldn't even need to know
>about it.

Fast and Furious

I think after Sochi you will see a tougher response by the Ukrainian authorities. The U.S. and EU will take political and economic measures to punish the Ukraine while lambasting Russia for supporting the Ukraine. With U.S.-Russian relations already rocky, the EU-Ukrainian standoff can only further strain these relations.

Eldorado

Seems odd there you believe there is an EU/Ukraine standoff. This is an EU/Russia standoff that goes back to Russia shutting off Europe's gas supply. The Ukraine is just in the middle.

http://eeas.europa.eu/ukraine/index_en.htm

http://www.euractiv.com/europes-east/putin-tells-ukraine-rethink-clos-news-529618

http://www.euractiv.com/europes-east/eu-ukrainian-business-double-sta-analysis-532709

The EU views the Ukraine as being controlled by Russia and held hostage by Putin over the Russian natural gas supplies that pass through the Ukraine.

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/SB10001424052702303553204579348943445424608

The Ukrainian leaders feel the weight of Russia/Putin wanting to reestablish the Old Soviet Union sphere of influence vs. the Pull of joining the EU and it's market for Ukrainian goods.

So this is really a struggle between the EU and Russia. We are just casting out lot with the EU and don't really care about the Ukraine.

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Feb-04-14 AT 06:25PM (MST)[p]The crisis in the Ukraine has nothing to do with making the EU independent of Russian gas (that fight is being waged in Syria) but it's all about extending NATO to the heart of Russia if the Ukraine ever became an EU member.

Eldorado

Obama should follow Bush's foreign policy example . that would give us something to talk about.

Stay thirsty my friends

Just one person's opinion that may mean nothing, as for your rating it as a excellent article is open to opinion also. As for the site having articles on the "cosmic story" kind of tells us where you get your reading material and insight into world events. No wonder you are such a delusional person that drank the kool aid.

RELH

why do you hate this country eldorko????

Maybe it is because he is one of those marchers in a pro-immigration rally that marches with the Mexican flag in his hand in stead of a U.S. flag.

RELH

LAST EDITED ON Feb-16-14 AT 12:22PM (MST)[p]Those "neoconservatives" still control U.S.foreign policy? Whys would a liberal like Obama follow a neoconservative foreign policy.

Stop and think for a moment about what this article is implying about Obama and his competence as a leader if he is is allowing somebody to else to get the U.S. Into a war.

Either he is horribly uninformed to meaningless as a leader.

If you believe everything in that article I bet you believe that Elvis is still alive, that 9/11 was an inside job and Hillary Clinton was duped into voting for the Iraq war.

Of course Russia is pure as the driven snow and is just a victim of our drive to dominate the world. That is some funny stuff

Nemont

So which will be more of a disaster the war in Iraq or a war with Russia. You still support a president who is playing with this kind of fire? Says a lot about the hypocrisy of the left. Only good wars are those started by Democrats

Nemont

LAST EDITED ON Feb-23-14 AT 07:48PM (MST)[p]The new Ukrainian authorities should be careful not to overplay their hand. It could lead to further unrest and the possibility of the country splitting up.

Eldorado

I have lambasted Obama many times for his criminal policies regarding Libya and Syria.

You seem to have a selective memory.

Eldorado

lol....thanks Mr. Obvious....

after doing a search I Can't find a single post of Lambasted Obama for anything. Only defended him at every turn.

You accused neocons of stirring this pot in the Ukraine without a shred of evidence. So it is up to you prove such an accusation and if a liberal Democrat like Obama follows neocon foreign policy then what good is he?

Nemont

So they end up with East Ukraine and West Ukraine. Their problem unless your favorite President decides to stick his nose into it and turns around and blames Bush when it backfires on him. Some what your problem also since you voted for him twice. You made your bed, now sleep in it.

RELH

It's been over a month since this post was started. LOL again, has Putin schooled Obummerputz again? Re-read this post and see how ridiculous some of the articles and posts are now that Putin has welcomed Cremea in to the SU.

So what is Obama supposed to do about it? com'on tough guys how far are you willing to go ?

Not only is it not our problem, it's what the people want. the vote may have not been the claimed 95%, but it's obvious the majority want to be with Russia.

Since we're going to do nothing about it the best thing to do is raise as little fuss about it as possible. Obama should use the vote as a way to back out and put this behind us.

Stay thirsty my friends

Was Obama supposed to take a tougher line than Bush? Of course not. Both men understood the limits of U.S. power to shape events in Georgia or the Ukraine. They gave speeches and took actions to show their displeasure but never anything that would lead to a dangerous confrontation.

Eldorado

I agree 100% with both of you. It's none of our business or interest. What bugs me is that our tax payers money went to Ukraine so they would destroy their nuclear arsenal in exchange for multiple millions an d a guarantee of protecting them in the future.

There are ongoing talks between the U.S., EU and Russia to make Ukraine a neutral nation with a weak federal government. While this option would clearly satisfy Russia's security concerns the likelihood of Kiev and others accepting is doubtful but not impossible given the realities on the ground. Better to be in the game than out.

Eldorado

Eldorado you just do not get it do you? Radical dictators in Iran, Syria, N. Korea, China just saw Putin back down the U.S. and the United Nations. Those dictators are now thinking about what they can grab and not fear any interferrence from us or the United Nations except for a few harsh words.
Iran will now continue full speed ahead on it's nuke program. When it looks like they are nearly finished developing a nuke bomb, Israel will strike with everything they got just for self preservation and we will be facing the possibility of a war in the middle east. Do you really think Congress will let Obama set that one out. If you do, you are kidding yourself.
All that just because Obama did not have a backbone and clamped down on Putin who was running a bluff to see what the U.S. and the United Nations would do. They blinked and he won the pot and encouraged others to try the same.

RELH

Give me a break, nobody backed down. unless you spend most of your time licking windows and think war was ever an option.

There is a local family here from Crimea and they were interviewed about the situation. they say the people wanted this all along and the celibrations are genuine, they're thrilled with Putin.

So who the hell are we to get involved in people getting the government they want on the other side of the world? at this point in time this is a non issue.

Stay thirsty my friends

We as the peanut gallery do not have all the info to have opinions on this.

Just like when GWB went into Iraq. We hear what the media and the government wants us to hear.

Monday morning quarterback is the easiest job in the world and the most pointless.

RELH, there are limits to U.S. power. Afghanistan, Georgia and now Russia proved that.

To believe otherwise is either folly or naive.

Eldorado

Both of you are too damn dumb to see the big picture. This is not over by a long shot. Putin will push again and so will other dictators. When Israel bombs Iran's nuke sites and starts a war, are you going to blame it on Obama and his foreign policy, or will you go back and blame it on someone else.
As for Putin being irrational, bullcrap, he is a very intelligent coniving dictator. One reason he reached a high rank in the KGB and he is a far better chess player then Obama could ever hope to be. He smelled weakness and played his hand based on his guesses what Obama and the europeans would not do.
The real bad part is he showed others how they can push and get by with it also and it will be coming.

RELH

Go back to eating your crayons RELH this is too much for you.

I asked, what the hell are the options? how do you not look " weak " without military action or the threat of it? what if Putin calls the bluff and readys for war? then what tough guy?

If you didn't know it, Buchanan is a republican, one 100 times smarter than you. read what he said and see if you can comprehend it.

Stay thirsty my friends

Sometimes things are just what they seem to be. if you're going to threaten a guy like Putin you better be willing to back it up.

Bush would have done the same thing Obama has done but he'd be a hero somehow. there is no other option wingnuts just like to hear themselves fart.

Stay thirsty my friends

Lets wait a year and we will discuss this again and see who has a better grasp on what is waiting around the corner. I can understand you two backing Obama as all three of you have the backbone of a jellyfish.

You can also bet that Obama will not increase economic sactions on Russia that will be strong enough to do any good. Russia has a poor economy and strong sanctions would hurt Putin's standing with his people. Also Dude, the great Russian military machine is is in shambles compared to it's glory days. Putin can not risk going to war with his poorly prepared military.
RELH

We are not going to war with Russia even if Putin took back by force the entire former soviet union. lets get that out of the way.

So then, since Putin knows that just how do you propose to stop him with huff and puff? your bante rooster crap doesn't work on guys like Putin.

Sanctions may work, to stop future action but it's not going to undo this.

Russia isn't what it used to be, but they can still make us glow. even a conventional war with Russia is something we may never recover from. no wonder you love Israel's trash talk so much you want to be like them. just remember when Israel is haired up they have us standing behind them, who do we have behind us to fight and fund our wars?. you tough guys are a riot.

Stay thirsty my friends

One of the few republicans with sense enough to pour piss out of a boot and the wingnuts blow him off. this is what's wrong with the republican party, they can't relate to intelligence so they ignore it, even fear it.

Stay thirsty my friends

>97% voted in favor of Russia...
>
>
>http://socioecohistory.wordpress.co...ainians-vote-to-join-russia-america-responds/

Seriously, Manny! Please learn to read AND comprehend! Also, maybe check your news sources on occasion......

97% of Ukrainians did NOT vote in favor of Russia! 95-97% of those that live in Crimea voted in favor! That would be like 97% of Arizonan's voting to join Mexico, and the U.S. government just saying 'OK Mexico, go ahead and take AZ!'. Ugh!!!

S.

:)

True, but Crimea got what they wanted nevertheless.

Our place is to accept that and forget about it. not our problem, none of our business.

Stay thirsty my friends

Now it is a guess if Putin is bluffing and we are only posturing.

He would not be the first leader to take advantage of a situation and consume smaller neighboring countries.

Situation is that helping these smaller countries is not popular with anyone. Sucks for them attitude, but, we got to many other irons in the fire. Putin knows this.

So eldorado you feel that is a stupid aggressive move on the part of the Ukraine goverment. Well that would show you feel your fearless leader in the white house is still making piss poor foreign policy decisions as you can bet pressure was applied by the U.S. and NATO for them to host the war games.
If course they could have refused and risked losing any support from Obama and NATO for not cowling down to them.

RELH

Looks like a make or break meeting involving the U.S., Russia, the EU and Ukraine will be held next week in an attempt to resolve the political impasse. Russia no doubt is prepared to act if a political solution is not reached soon. The situation grows tense with competing forces battling in the Russian speaking regions. Russia will not wait indefinitely while her national security interests are jeopardized by this infighting. The time has come to settle this issue with unflinching pragmatism and objectivity and not drag out this matter for political gain. That would be a monumental tragedy for all concerned.

Eldorado

Not a chance in the world that Kerry can pull a rabbit out of his hat on this one. The tooth paste is already out of the tube and it can't be put back.

Russia can't control event either so the die is cast and we will see who blinks first. My money is on the administration selling out the Ukraine and looking the other way as Russia picks over the carcass of the Ukraine for the prime pieces it wants.

Nemont

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom