Ulmer Broadhead???

A

azbucksnbulls

Ive heard many rumors about the new broadhead that Randy Ulmers brother Rusty has developed. Does anybody have pictures of it, or know where i could see some? Ive heard things like it will change the whole archery industry can anybody tell me if this is true or not?

I've heard the same thing. I heard it is a lot like the RAGE that his brother shoots, but designed to keep the blades from deploying without having to modify the blades.

Rusty and I have worked out a deal and the new broadhead will be marketed as a Trophy Taker product. I met Rusty on a hunt years ago and have known Randy for a long time as well. They are both exceptional hunters and great guys. There has been alot of testing that has gone into the concept he is using on the broadhead design. We are working on the project now and will be releasing the first models as soon as possible. As with all new products it takes a while to get things in production, so I don't have a release date yet. We will be introducing this Broadhead design as a 2012 product, but are hopeful that we will be shipping before hunting season (this year).

I don't have pics available yet but here's a general overview; The first models have two blades and are a modified "rearward deployment" system. In flight the main cutting surface of the broadhead is completely protected inside the ferrule. Upon impact a smaller portion of the blade (that is exposed)swings the main cutting blade out from the rear. As the main cutting blade(s) reach the fully opened position (1.5" cutting diameter) they lock together with a truely unique lock system. once locked in position the blades pivot together as a unit, this allows them to "rotate" around hard objects like bone. If the arrow does not pass through the animal the blades will fold forward and again lock at 1.5" cutting diameter (the back of the blades have a sharpened edge also), this makes it effectively "cut in and cut out"... this also ensures that the broadhead is not considered barbed. One of the features that bow hunters will really appreciate is the fact that the broadhead is easily set to "practice mode", by inserting a small set screw the blades are locked inside the ferrule and will not open. This allows you to practice with the head without dulling the blades. Remove the set screw and you're ready to hunt.

This design has a very small surface area in flight, opens reliably, blades lock together consistently, cuts in and out, and will not open in flight. And you can shoot practice shots with the same broadhead/blades you hunt with.

Several Big game animals have been killed with prototypes and it has been tested to confirm field point sized groups at 100 yds.

Thanks,

Dan Evans
Trophy Taker, Inc.

The initial model has an Aluminum ferrule, a steel ferrule model is in the works.

thanks dan for the update, sure sounds like a great product.
If you can get any out before hunting season this year send me a PM sometime and I would be more than happy to buy a pack and try them out.

I will try to post on here when they will be shipping... you can check on the Trophy Taker website as we get closer to hunting season also.

Thanks,

Dan

Dan I look forward to hearing more about the new head and seeing some pics of it. I know if you guys are making it that it will be built like a tank and top notch like everything you guys make.

Black Gold Bowsights Staff, John's Customs ProStaff
Owner FatBoyzArchery & dealer for= Black Gold sights, TrophyTaker, Doinker, Harvest Time Archery, Tight Spot Quivers and alot of other stuff.

7451broadhead.jpg

This is supposed to be the prototype model. I heard the actual broadhead they market will look a little different cosmetic wise.

Rusty posted that picture over on Archerytalk on a thread I had started about them...That's a prototype model, he took an old Rocky Mountain Snyper 2 blade and redid it to fit what he needed. There are no pictures of it floating around with the blades open, numerous guys on my thread on AT asked for them and Rusty said he couldnt post them right now because of patent & copyright stuff...Pretty much he doesnt want someone else copying his design, which I dont blame him for. He did say that when the heads actually hit store shelves later this fall they will look different. Also he said they are playing with some Trocar style tips on them too along with a blade style tip like the prototype has. Guess we will have to wait and see what the final product looks like. Sounds like it's gonna be a hell of a head from some of the stuff Rusty has said about them, I cant wait to get my hands on some of them.

Owner FatBoyzArchery & dealer for= Black Gold sights, TrophyTaker, Doinker, Harvest Time Archery, Tight Spot Quivers and alot of other stuff.

I really like the design. I killed my bull, small mulie and coyote last year with a prototype. Probably the thing I liked best was the set screw. Once the broadhead was spin tested and on the arrow, you could practice all day and never dull the blades. The concept of moving around ribs, bone etc.. is great. On all animals I got complete pass through.

Thought I would give an update: Rusty has been testing some small design tweeks on the blades, and I have been working on ferrule changes with the machine shop. The "blade lock" system on this broadhead is exceptional already, now we are making sure the ferrule is durable and holds together well when it impacts bone. We felt that the ferrule that was used for the first rounds of prototypes definitely needed some improvement. I will try to keep you up to date on the progress.

I would like to hear some input from you guys! What have you found works the best for you in expandable designs? I don't want to call out the pros and cons with other broadhead brands, but I would like to hear what features have proven the best under hunting conditions.

One of the ferrule changes that we are making is adding a steel tip that completely caps the front end of the ferrule. This "Trocar" style cap provides plenty of front end strength and prevents the ferrule from splitting when it impacts heavy bone.

the design of the swhacker broadhead has always had an appeal to me because the blades open after penetration, which wont spend alot of energy trying to push 2'' worth of blades through a ribcage of an animal (elk). another good thing about that is the blades are still razor sharp when they deploy and begin to cut inside of the cavity of the animal, in other words they wont become dulled upon impact to the animals hide/ribcage. I have yet to see a "failproof" rubber band or o-ring that goes with these mechanical heads these days, so it would be nice to have a mechanical head that shoots well without having to consistantly worry about the rubber band or whatever keeps the blades secure in place.

I'm not a big mech fan, but I definitely will not shoot one that has a long aluminum ferrule. more than once I have seen such designs hit bone and bend. Best case, it inhibits penetration. Worst case, it locks the blades in and prevents them from opening. The only mech I'd consider shooting would have a short, machined steel ferrule.

Danevans...
Any updates? I still have not seen anything about this on manufacture you mentioned web site or heard anything more about this broadhead.
Thanks
TRC

As we thought we do not have enough ready to start shipping before hunting season, but the new heads are being (and will be) used by several hunters to make sure we have everything worked out on the last round of design changes. Randy Ulmer already grounded a giant mule deer with one last week... he said the the head worked perfectly.

Dan, any chance you can throw up a couple of pictures in closed and open positions or are they still top secret??

GBA

Dan, any chances you or Rusty have pics of Randy's deer he shot with them??? I've been trying to swindle Rusty out of a 3 pack to use this fall forever for pronghorn & Iowa whitetail with no luck..I'm a dealer with TrophyTaker, any idea when we might be able to place orders for them???

6645expandable_opened_and_closed.jpg

Here are pics of the open and closed position. We have still been tweaking a couple small things, but just about have it nailed. As I said earlier; the thing that really sets this design apart is the way the blades lock together in the open position (while still allowing the blades to fold forward so they are not barbed), the fact that you can lock the blades closed (inside the ferrule) for practice, and the fact that the blades are sharp on the back side allowing for a "cut in & cut out" action on non-passthrough shots.

http://www.monstermuleys.info/photos/user_photos/1548randy_ulmer-_2011_(low_res).jpg

This is the great buck that Randy Ulmer just killed with the new broadhead. Congratulations Randy on another giant! Good luck the rest of the season.

Paste the whole URL and it works, here it is, courtesy of Dan.

8498ulmerbuck.jpg

Hunt Hard. Shoot Straight. Kill Clean. Apologize to No One.

Wow! Awesome buck again! Wonder if it was a quartering shot towards him through the front shoulder and blasted through it?

>>>---->
For the love of the game

4346randy_ulmer-_broadhead_on_antler_pic_low_res.jpg

Here is a pic of the prototype broadhead that randy used for this kill... the head held up very well, even though it exited through the bone in the shoulder. This head was not anodized, so the ferrule was "sharpied" to reduce glare.

Thanks Dan for putting up the photo?s. It looks like a very robust Broadhead. Congrats to Randy but also a big congrats to Rusty and yourself. Looking forward to getting my hands on them.

GBA

Wow, looks alot like a smaller cutting diameter rage. Assuming the blades will stay closed in flight better than the rage and theyre more durable than other mechanical heads, i think i may be liking these already, we all know that they can kill already...Would these be orderable by november time?

Azbucksandbulls, they're not going to open in flight unless you hurt or break the dental rubber band that holds them closed. See the notches on the blades, the position of where the rubber band sits is a lot of leverage holding those blades shut inside the ferule. Now the other situation you WILL run into is pre-deployment in your quiver when you shove them in. I get so aggravated with people who try out mechanicals then gripe because it came open when the shoved them into their quiver. They all open on contact! With mechanical/expandable heads make accommodations in your quiver for them, its not rocket science and can be done to any quiver.

Dan, another question for you, PM me if you'd prefer. Can you close the head back up somehow unlocking the blades to pass each other or do you need to remove the set screw, put the blades together and slide them back into the ferrule together? Even if removing them may be the case it would be a real easy way to re-sharpen them that way, just not as friendly in the field to close back up. Also are the wings sharp in a bevel so that when they line up with the apposing blade edge they aide in cutting? Same question for locking the blades shut for target practice. Are they (the blade wings)sharp for penetration into a practice target? Im really liking this head. Im one of the few that believes one day a mechanical can become robust enough to use on elk and a design such as this one may be the one that never fails in the field.

GBA

Dan is out on the road getting ready to chase elk and likely won't be checking in here now for a while but I'd be happy to answer the questions....

Yes, you can close the blades once deployed...you have to grasp the end of the blades and twist them in opposite directions and fold them back together while applying this lateral pressure.

The deployment arms are not sharp...in Rusty's extensive testing over the last year, he found that sharpening them could in rare circumstances result in a "non deployment" of the main blades. As such, we elected to go with blunt edges to guarantee deployment in every circumstance.

As far as practice goes, they penetrate any standard broadhead target fine with no ill effects in spite of the dull deployment arms. Definitely would not want to shoot them into a bag style target!

To answer a previous question, no we will not likely have production models available in November...that is my target date, but realistically speaking, it will probably be very near the first of the new year.

Thanks for the feedback guys!

TTakerTech, thank you for taking the time to answer my questions. I'll be looking forward to them this winter. It makes sence to not sharpen the arms and it obviously had not slowed the head down on Randy?s deer. Just curios, is Dan Archery hunting Elk and will he be trying this head out or has he decided to use something else until you guys get the other little tweaks he mentioned done? Again, thanks for your time.

GBA

GBA,

Dan is archery hunting elk and yes, I know he has several sample prototypes among his projectile collection for this fall's elk hunts!

The "tweaks" at this point are things like fine tuning weights, tolerances, overall appearance, etc. Fundamentally, this head was sound when Rusty finished his testing over a year ago...we are just finalizing it for market now.

I do know that Dan has T-Lock broadheads and the new mechanical both...not sure exactly which he will use where and when.

TTakerTech

TTakertech, thanks again for the info on Dan, What state?? Hey keep us posted on his hunt, it think we would all like to hear how he is doing regardless of which head he decides to go with.

GBA

GBA,

Not sure which tags start when but I know he will be in several western states this fall before I can get him back in the office for some real work...ha ha!

Will try to keep you guys posted!

TTTech, I bet you guys dont see Dan much during elk season do you?? lol...Doesnt he just make elk season one big roadtrip every fall? I know he kills some freakin monster bulls every year. Dan is one of those guys alot like Randy Ulmer where I wish there was just more video of him and more articles out there about his hunts, I'd love to see Dan make some elk hunting DVD's with all the studs he kills every year with a bow.
A buddy of mine out west who works in the archery industry texted me a couple days ago and said they got a couple of the Ulmer heads in to check out and he said they were very impressed with them so far.

Is this an aluminum ferule broadhead? If so, why did you all go with this instead of steel? I have seen muzzy's, and grim reapers bend when encountering bone. Thanks!

JDaddy and bldrbuck,

Yeah, Dan does spend his fair share of time in the elk woods each fall. He typically drops back in the office a time or two during season but mostly we just keep in touch and deal with any important issues over the phone when he is gone.

Yes, Dan is a phenomenal elk hunter and quite frankly, I've learned a lot from him over the years. Capturing footage on video is just very hard to do when you hunt Dan's style which is mostly spot and stalk or interception...the extra body with the camera just complicates the issue dramatically but he is trying to get more and more footage amassed each year.

As for the aluminum ferrule question...yes, it is aluminum and yes, we prefer the strength characteristics of steel. However, steel weighs almost three times what aluminum does on average. Therefore, to make a broadhead like this one that has the blades completely enclosed in the ferrule, and yet has a substantial cutting diameter, you have to make the ferrule too long to use steel (the steel version in the same dimensions would weigh nearly 200 grains).

However, this new head does address the strength issues where possible. It has a heat treated stainless steel tip threaded onto the ferrule, the blades pivot around the central set screw upon deployment to help steer around bone, the blades open in such a way as to limit the amount of exposure to the heavy bone (versus cam open styles that are "broadside" to the bone as some point in time during entry) and finally, we made it as short as we could while still preserving an adequate cutting diameter.

Hope this helps answer some questions.

Here is a link to an informational video clip that John Dudley put together about the new Ulmer Expandable broadhead.

I am back in the office after an extended time chasing elk! I had a good run in the elk woods this year.

Randy Ulmer has been knocking down some huge animals with the new broadhead!

I've always been a bit wary of long ferrule heads made of aluminum. I've seen them bend and lock the blades in place, preventing them from opening. Is that a concern with these?

Of course anything made out of aluminum can bend... I do feel like the way these blades deploy make it much less likely that the ferrule could bend before the blades are open. Many animals have already hit the dirt from this broadhead, including some big elk. I have not heard any report of bent ferrules yet. This ferrule is made of a harder aluminum alloy than the normal 6061. The blades are 420 stainless and are 0.032" thick. Obviously anything can fail, but I think Rusty has done a great job heading off normal problems with this design.

Understood. Thanks for the honest answer. A friend of mine put down a slammer Strip buck with one this year. Said it was impressive. I know they work. I wish you the best with them.

Having shot the Gator for years(still do) I would have to say this is a great broadhead. Don't change the chisel tip at all. When the Gator went to the cut on impact tip it started having issues. I wish they never would have changed. Looks like I'll have a new broadhead now!

Ulmer Expandables is what we are planning to use as the "blanket name" because the plan is to have several models as time goes on. We are still finalizing on the model name(s).

BigPig-Good observation.

Here is a little background on the alloys Dan mentioned to add to your relentless pursuit of all things archery.

A 6000 series aluminum alloy has magnesium and silicon added to improve the machineability of the alloy. A 6000 series responds to heat treatment, known as precipation hardening for aluminum alloys. Higher strengths can be achieved with the 2xxx series, (which is alloyed with copper), or a 7xxx series, (which is alloyed with zinc). The highest strengths are achieved with the 7xxx series alloys, ie.7075-T6

I don't know what Dan ment when he said that the aluminum alloy used was not the normal 6061. It could be that:
1. A 6xxx series aluminum but not 6061
2. A 6061 alloy with a different treatment to give it higher hardeness properties.
3. A different series of aluminum alloy altogether.

The 420 stainless steel is a common cutlery-grade alloy. 420 can be quenched and tempered to achieve good hardness and wear resistance. The final tempering temperature is critical in how the final product performs.

Although material designations and trade-names can be helpful in understanding and evaluating a particular product, I think that those terms are often used for marketing purposes. Some things may be proprietary or have patents pending which is understandable, given that this is a new product. Each one of those numbers in the alloy designation are critical in communicating what the exact alloy is and what was done to it in terms of stress relieving, work hardening, annealing, and heat treating to give the material it's final metallurgical properties for all of us metal geeks out here.

Yes, putting an extra hole in the ferrule will weaken it. We feel like on this model the trade off is worth the added benefit. And we have added some "beef" and used materials that should help address this. Being able to lock the blades closed to practice is a very nice feature for many.

To help with this issue we are using a 7075 aluminum alloy, I am not a metallurgist for sure, so I leave that end up to the guys that know. I can't tell you, off the top of my head, the exact properties or the quenching and tempering process or temperatures used in the blade manufacturing process.

The outcome that we see when actually testing is the most important to those that take the product to the field, so we tell the metal guys (sounds like dingo is definitely in this category!) what we want the ferrule and blades to do when they encounter various situations, they recommend the best metal alloys and processes.... we get prototypes made, test, then decide if it needs more tweeking to consistently get the results we want (if so, we repeat). This process can take a long time if you want to make sure you have it right. This is one of the reasons this design has been in the "development" process for so long.... two hunting seasons have now gone into the testing stages.

Dan-Thanks for following that up. Congradulations on some successful elk hunts. Here is a little more info to chew on when you are sitting in blind or glassing a canyon. I am always learning...makes me better at whatever I'm doing.

7075 is an aluminum alloy with zinc as the primary alloying element. It also contains magmesium and copper. The addition of these alloying elements is what makes 7075 respond to heat- treatment.

A little rabbit trail to help understand the properties of materials.

If you were to pull a sample of any material (tension), it would resist movement. As more and more force is applied, the material would eventually begin to elongate and neck down in the center of the sample. Then at some point, the sample would snap in half. The peak amount of force exerted on the sample divided by the cross-sectional area of the sample would be the ultimate tensile strength (uts). If the force is measured in pounds (p) and the cross-sectional area is expressed in sguare inches (si), the uts would be psi, and if the force is per 1000 pounds (k), then the uts would be ksi.,(ex. 63.8ksi=63,800psi)

Mild steel (ex.alloy 1018) 63.8ksi.
Pure aluminum (ex. 1100) 13ksi.
6061-0 18ksi.
6061-T6 45ksi.
7075-0 33ksi.
7075-T6 78-83ksi.

The "O" designation refers to the annealed state. The material is heated below the melting point but hot enough for everything to be uniformly distributed throughout the material. Then it is cooled slowly. The result is a relatively soft material that is "relaxed". A piece of bailing wire or copper electrical wire are examples of something in an annealed state.

If a material responds to work-hardening, then it will get stronger the more you stress it. Bending, hammering, or rolling will cause some materials to get stonger. Take a piece of copper wire and bend it, then try to straighten it back out where you just bent it. The bend will be harder then the unbent section. If you were to heat the bend with a torch, it would become soft again.

If a material responds to heat-treatment, then it will gain strength through a process of heating, quenching, reheating, and cooling. What is causing the increase in strength are internal changes in the microstructure and composition of the material. The annealed material is heated to a predetermined temperature and allowed to stay at that temperature until everything is uniform internally. This can be done in a furnace or salt that has been heated until it melts to a predetermined temperature. Then the material is quenched to remove the heat and "freeze" everything in place. Water, oil, or even air can cool a particular material fast enough to get the desired properties. At this point the material is very hard, but brittle. An example of this would be a metal file. If you hit a file hard on a table, it will chip or snap in half.

Then the quenched material is then reheated to a predetermined temperature, (tempering temperature). The material responds to the temperature and the result will be a material that is slightly softer but much tougher. An example of this would be a spring, knife, or lawn mower blade. The hardness of the material will be directly proportional to the strength of the material. The hardness is tested by pressing a hard tool into the surface of the test material with a uniform amount of weight. The depth or size of the indentation is measured and that corresponds to a hardness value. That is why sometimes if you look closely at a knife blade or a heat treated aluminum part you may see a tiny indentation left from a hardness test. That is done to verify that the material meets specs.

In aluminum alloys, an "H" designation indicates work/strain hardening and a "T" designation indicates heat treatment.

Enough of the metallurgy lecture. Just some background information to help understand metals and expand your knowledge of the process. The important thing to realize is that pure aluminum is very soft and weak, (ex. aluminum wire). But when alloyed with other elements, the strength can be greatly increased through work hardening or heat treatment. 6061 can be heat-treated to a high strength. 7075 can also be heat-treated to a high strength that is almost double that of 6061 and is approaching or exceeding that of mild steel. 7075 is also more expensive then 6061 and the heat-treating process adds extra steps but is necessary to achieve optimum strength.

Drilling a hole through anything will "weaken"
it to a degree, but sometimes the loss of strength still exceeds the minimum requirements for good performance.

As you correctly point out, the true test is in the field. You have obviously done your homework on your material selection. The only thing stronger while still maintaining the light weight would be titanium. If it proves that your new design can perform reliably every time even when conditions are less then ideal and the result is more accurate shot placement and more animals recovered then it is all worth it. After all, what good is technology unless it can help me be a better hunter or catch more fish! I wish you all the best for future success with your new broadhead.

Dingo, I would like to thank you for posting all of that information. Very informing and interesting to me. One question on the 7075-T6. Is this material that much harder to machine? In other words, aside from the higher cost of the material itself, would it be much higher in manufacturing costs to machine it?

GBA

GBA-It wouldn't require any additional cost to machine one over the other. 7075 actually machines quite well. In my experience with machinning it, which is limited, it was not gummy and made short chips. My interest in it was for weldability, which it is not. That is a whole different discussion. I could go into it, but it is more of a "campfire" topic as opposed to an "archery" topic. Don't know what kind of response I would get for starting "Weldability study of Aluminum Alloy 7075".

About the set screw hole: Have you thought about two production runs and supplying a practice head with the set screw hole and 3 heads without holes in the pack?

It would be unique in that you're effectivly getting 4 heads (the practice one still could have default blades) for the ultimate cheapskates lol.

Bill

Bill, I think that is a good idea... Jerrod and I talked more about this today, I think we will offer an option of getting this head without the set screw hole for those that want the maximum strength. The idea of having one with the set screw for practice definitely has merit. We will come up with something down this line. Thanks for the input!

When and where will these heads be available for purchase? I have a January deer hunt and would really like to give them a try.

What is the diameter of this head? Is this head going to flush on Axis ST type arrows?

I will also be hunting deer here in Arizona in Jan and I'd love to do some testing for you if you want send me some heads... wink wink! lol. I'd love to give them a try, I'd also be happy to pay for them if you lead me in the right direction.

"The deadliest weapon in the world is a Marine and his rifle." General John J. "Black Jack" Pershing, US Army
"Most men go through life wondering if they made a difference, Marines don't have that problem." President Ronald Regan

125 grain version has not started shipping yet. We are just about caught up on 100 grain backorders.... as soon as that happens we will start shipping the 125 grain.

I have also been testing various configurations of this broadhead to be compatible with the Injection insert system. Here is a link to some testing on the solid stainless 125 grain injection sized broadhead.

Mine just arrived in the mail. I was excited to get out and see how they performed with my setup.

At first look out of the package, they appear to be a very sturdy head. Installation of the set screw to make the broadhead ready for practice was a breeze.

I shot about 20-25 practice shots from ranges varying from 20-40. No issues with arrow flight, they were hitting where my field points were hitting. No issues with the set screw, seems to be holding up so far.

Can't wait to get em in the field for the ultimate test but so far, so good. Nice product!

If you need a list of dealers near you that have received them please call the office (Trophy Taker) @ (406)826-0600. They should be available from pretty much all the major stores, assuming they already placed orders.

Thanks,

I've been shooting them for a while now and I shot the prototype when Rusty was first designing the head. First and foremost I am a fixed head shooter and am leary about mechanicals for many reasons. That being said I really and I mean really like the idea of having the set screw to practice with and then removing when hunting. That is a big plus IMO over other mechanicals. I hate having to unscrew the head after practice in order to hunt with it.
Second the low profile makes them fly better than any other head I've ever shot. I tune my bow so I can shoot any broadhead with my fieldtips, but even then often times I get a bit of planing or wind effect. I havent' had a drop of problems with these heads.

I still not sold on their durabilty, hopefully this year I will try to get some more testing of my own done.

Finally got around to shooting the broadheads this weekend. I was very impressed by the design and how well they flew. Field points and broadheads were exactly the same out to 80 yards. I really like the design and can't wait to test them on a buck next weekend.

I bought four packs and was impressed with the design and flight, but I was VERY UNHAPPY with how dull they were. I can run my finger down every blade, with pressure, and it will not cut. I took three of them apart and had to sharpen them. With the single bevel edge it took me longer to get them sharp. I am thinking about contacting Trophy taker and see if they will do anything. When you spend $160.00 on broadheads for the family you expect them to be sharp!

UPDATE - I just received an e-mail from Colette at Trophy Taker and they are sending me replacement heads for the ones I purchased. She was EXTREMELY helpful with a quick response and solution to my problem.

I wish all companies listened and were as prompt in helping as Trophy Taker was/is. I have purchased their rests in the past and with this service I am a loyal customer and will purchase other products and pass along the GREAT WORD OF MOUTH they have shown me!!

THANK YOU TROPHY TAKER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TRC

TRC,

We are very glad to hear that you are pleased with the customer service but disappointed that you had some blades that were not sharp enough to start with. Since this thread has seen a lot of activity and had a lot of views, I thought I should address this issue directly.

The first 10,000 blades that went out of our door were 100% inspected for sharpness. We were very pleased with them and thus put our confidence in our blade supplier so that we could reduce our efforts to a spot check. Unfortunately, later in the year we received a complaint about blades that were not sharp enough.

Per our policy, we replaced the packs in question. We were very surprised to discover that those blades that were returned were not sharp enough for our standards. Bringing the concern to the manufacturer revealed that a critical fixture used in grinding our blades had moved slightly and resulted in some blades that were not adequately sharp.

We immediately pulled every pack in inventory and did a 100% inspection for sharpness and implemented a 100% sharpness test for all blades in the future. We also added a couple more steps to the Quality Control process to ensure this does not happen again. Our apologies!

We do offer a sharpness guarantee so if you are not satisfied with the blades you receive, we will always replace them for you. Because of this policy, I have received a few packs back in house. Some of them have had the blades that were not sharp enough but some have had "hair shaving" sharp blades in them.

As a result, I do want to point out that we suggest testing the blade sharpness by either removing a blade and shaving hair with it, or using a rubber band test (cutting a rubber band under tension) or a paper cut test. Due to the fact that this blade is a single bevel blade, the edge is not as thin as that on a double bevel blade.

The "thicker" edge will likely not feel as sharp to your thumb as say the edge on an X-ACTO knife. However, every blade leaving Trophy Taker is literally hair shaving sharp (my arms and legs look like I have mange) and we are confident that with an objective sharpness test, you will be very pleased with the sharpness. The good news about a "beefier" edge is that it will hold an edge longer under hunting conditions...like slamming through the side of a mud caked bull elk!

Good luck this fall!

Dan I was wondering when the shipment will get to Cabelas? Ordered 4 packages 4 weeks ago and still no word on delivery? Do you have a idea when they will be shipped?

Hey Guys,
Just confirmed that a Cabelas shipment went out last Friday (the 13th). Hopefully your product will ship to you from Cabelas shortly. Sorry for the delays, we appreciate the support.

Stopped into a pro shop last night to pick up some more field points and they had the Ulmer heads there and a few of them. I'm kind of surprised Cabela?s doesn't have them yet. Hold tight, it should be real soon now.

GBA

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom