Ultra Light Backpack Tent

P

PaysonOutfitters

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-11 AT 08:24PM (MST)[p]
Looking for a good solo or real small 2 man tent, need it to be ultra light, please recommend one or do you have one for sale?

I have read through some of the other threads and appreciate all the input but I am hoping to find one that is 2-3 lbs if possible.

Thanks, Eric

Premium Hunting Gear at great prices and Free Shipping. www.SantanaOutdoors.com

I spent 10 days in the rain of south west Alaska in a Hilleberg Atko. It is small but it was nice to have a bomb proof tent that I did not have to worry about.
Jay

I use the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. It's 2 lbs 4 oz if I remember right. Perfect for 1 person plus gear. Not so great for 2 but will work for 2 in a pinch.

I have/use the Eureka Spitfire. Great tent for the money. Keeps me dry, vents well and is easy to set-up. Enough head-room to sit up it also. Very small vestibule though.

The Hillebergs are "bomberproof" and if you want ultra-light take off the fly and use it alone! The fly plus a footprint on most of their tents will likely weigh less than 2 lbs and may have twice the usable floor space of other tents that weigh more!

I just bought a GoLite Shangri-LA 5, 2lb 14 oz. I got 40% off from GoLite with a rebate code. I plan on putting a stove jack in it, and buying a Tigoat stove. My research indicated it is about right with 2 people and gear. I won't take the stove if it is just me. It appears well built, and the seams are sealed. I haven't had a chance to put it up yet, but looking forward to it. Hope that helps.

Used the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 last season - great little tent. Light, sturdy in the wind (spent several very, very windy nights at 11,500ft) and plenty of room for one plus gear.

No, it's definitely lighter than that. I think including a tyvek footprint I made, it was 2lbs 11oz on my scale.

Look also at tents that fastpack, which means the tent fly is supported and can attach to the ground cloth, whether or not the tent body is used. I have a discontinued North Face model, and althouh the weight may read about 4 lbs, the fly, groundcloth and pole is about 2 lbs.

About 3 1/4 LBS free standing you can set up without stakes! Then add another 17 oz for the crossover poles if you expect snow.

I would not say it is bomb proof . The zippers and material appear delicate. Have had no issues.

http://www.tarptent.com/productsheets/SCARP2.pdf

4533imgp1618.jpg

I have used and recommend the Big Agnes 2 man, for one person and gear. It is a good value for the $$. I imagine if money is no object you can find better. Suprisingly, I have a Cabela's 3 man ultralight that has worked very well for 2 people that I have zero complaints about. I have used both it cold and wind of Oct/Nov hunts here in Idaho including snow loads with good success, but not heavy 12" storms.

The spitfire is a great little tent for the price, but if you are expecting snow find another tent! I've spent well over 45 nights in my spitfire and for the price it is pretty good, make sure you guy it out well. It is pretty cramped and as was mentioned the vestibule is really small, but I have made it work with a full pack and rifle multiple times (definitely better than a bivy). If you get a heavy snow, it will be a long night, trust me. Spent two days knocking snow off and out my tent at 11,000 feet in a 2-foot snow storm, I've had more fun and been warmer and was wishing I had a good 3-4 season tent. With the weight of a heavy snow, it caves in right in the middle above your legs, so you have to keep knocking the snow out.

52282010_deer_hunt_001.jpg

21572010_deer_hunt_003.jpg

Here is the Hilleberg Atko which weighs 3 lbs 5 ounces. A great tent with plenty of room for 1 man with a large vestibule for your gear. You can sit upright (I'm 5'9" so a taller person might have to crouch) and I think you could fit another person in it. Pretty light but not the lightest. It is a 4 season tent and can handle all 4 seasons. fatrooster.

I have a Hubba Hubba for sale right now in the classifieds if anyone is interested.

I have a Big Agnes SL2. Great tent (3.4 pounds)and is quite roomy for 1 person and gear. Two guys and you better like your hunting partner and all your gear would have to go outside. The vestibule is quite small (basically one pack) but with one person, only your boots go outside as all your gear fits inside. By all gear, I mean your pack and what you carry.

BHB

Did you find a tent? I have BA Fly Creek UL1 if your interested. Never been used, set up in the living room after I first got it.

Have you looked at Tarp Tents? Very popular with thru-hiker crowd. I have used the Squall 2 for a few years in early season hunts and it is very spacious and light. Two person tent with a vestibule and sewn in floor for 34 ounces. It is a single wall, but vents well.

http://www.tarptent.com/squall2.htm
squall2side.jpg

I have an extra Squall 2 in good shape for $165.

Ed
www.huntpacks.com

Like those HS Tarptents myself- I've had the cloudburst for many years. An especially good option for a tall guy.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom