Unacceptable!!

never_catch

Long Time Member
LAST EDITED ON Jun-26-12 AT 02:38PM (MST)[p]Last time I checked it was 2012 and there is not a single optics company on the frickin planet that sells a rangefinder with incline/decline technology, for bowhunters with slider slights, that you can actually see thru and read the numbers in low light conditions!! I've used friends and owned various rangefinders and find one of two results EVERYTIME. 1) I can see thru it in low light just fine (Zeiss and Leica) but it has no incline/decline technology OR 2) it has incline/decline technology but can't see thru the damn thing in low light (Nikon, Bushnell, ect)!! I also have no problems with my eyesight whatsoever.

IMHO, it's complete bullshit there isn't a rangefinder out there with the best of both worlds!! The technology is out there, somebody ####### build one already!! This is unacceptable!!

~Z~

Swaro and Leica don't make a rangefinder with incline/decline technology, they have ballistics data...not useful for a bowhunter. I've spoken to Leica, Swarovski, and Zeiss...none of these companies make a rangefinder with incline/decline technology.

Vortex calls their version Horizontal Component Distance (HCD). From everything I've read it's their own ballistics data, useful for rifle and useless for bowhunters. Convince me otherwise??

~Z~

never_catch, what is the difference in the new Swaro-Aim and the incline/decline technology you are looking for?

I'm not being sarcastic, I really am unfamiliar with what you are trying to find. I didn't know there was more than one option of angle-compensation.

Grizzly

Grizzly, I'm no expert on this stuff either but I can give you an example of what I mean. Last time I shot my bow, a buddy had a Leica 1600 with the ballistics technology in it and my uncle had his Bushnell with the incline/decline technology. We were shooting at a steap angle downhill. Just judging distance I guessed it to be around 85-90 yards to the target. The Leica read 77 yards and the Bushnell read 41 yards. I set my slider sight to 40 yards and drilled the target. I had previously sighted my slider pin in at 90 yards on level ground. Both rangefinders read within 1 yard at that time.

From what I understand the ballistics technology in the Swaro, Leica, and Zeiss rangefinders is very useful for high power rifles out passed 500 yards but it definitely isn't useful for a bow beings how it doesn't cut my yardages at inclines or declines at closer ranges (30-100).

~Z~

My complaint is simple. The glass that can be seen clearly thru at low light, does not cut yardages. The glass that does cut yardages is impossible to see thru, and see the yardage readout, in low light conditions.

If the Nikon Riflehunter 550 or any of the Bushnells didn't black out at low light they would IMO be the perfect bowhunting rangefinder. If any Leica, Swaro, or Zeiss rangefinder cut yardages for inclines/declines, that would be a perfect rangefinger for bowhunting...

~Z~

The new swaro el range binos do compensate for angle, the vortex 1000 does the same thing. Yes the leica 1600 is advertised to do so as well. Just do your homework, you have quite a few choices...

I feel the exact same way. I too have called the big 3one about this very problem. Another major down fall with the Swarovski and Leica is the fact that the operation button is on the wrong (LEFT) side. Also, the minimum range on the new Swaro is 30 yards. I believe if one of the big 3 produced a product with right hand operation and angle compensation with a 15-20 yard minimal range that they would sell a ton of them. I'm sure hoping it happens in the near future.

Just picked up the vortex ranger this week and it does the angle compensation.. the vortex is ideal for the bowhunter so not sure where you heard wrong..

I did some testing with the Vortex during turkey season and it works perfect for what you want. It has pretty darn good optics for low light use and the readout can be adjusted to three different brightness levels. Its angle comp worked great and its really the only mode i use, other then just playing around. Small light and has worked great.

>I did some testing with the
>Vortex during turkey season and
>it works perfect for what
>you want. It has
>pretty darn good optics for
>low light use and the
>readout can be adjusted to
>three different brightness levels.
>Its angle comp worked great
>and its really the only
>mode i use, other then
>just playing around. Small
>light and has worked great.
>
Can you tell us what the max degree slope it will shoot?..the nikon 550 says it will do 89*...good to have if your out west shooting off cliffs..
Thanks!
Mike

Unless you plan to take game from a helicopter I cannot imagine why anyone could possibly need 89 degrees of angle compensation... I guess you never know.

yeah I personally thought 60 was way more than enough, i highly doubt you would ever need a degree angle better than that where the yardage really is going to be an issue for a hunter..

If your hunting out west, 60 degrees is not enough! Mulie bucks love bedding under cliffs. Given a choice, Ill take 89 degrees.

Hey never_catch... Check out the Opti-Logic rangefinder.. Should be exactly what you are wanting and I would be surprised if it wasn't..

The Swaro bino/range deal is useless to bowhunters as it does not range below 33 yards. They only had gun hunters in mind when they came out with it.

Fellow Bowhunter here...

"If your hunting out west, 60 degrees is not enough! Mulie bucks love bedding under cliffs. Given a choice, Ill take 89 degrees. "

I agree, much of the country these bucks are hanging out in is steeper than 60 degrees.

If its straight down, your compensated yardage is 0.

My lowest pin is 30 yds, a deer would have to be a long way off to be further than 30 compensated yards and still be greater than 60 degree slope.

Probably too far to shoot.

Grizzly

I could be wrong but the Nikon Archers choice or the Nikon Rifle hunter 1000 may fit what your looking for. I have the Nikon Rifle hunter 1000 and I love it. It has the ID technology that you want and has an auto brightness feature, so when it starts getting dark it changes so the readings are in orange not black. The only difference between the archer model and the rifle hunter model is that the archer reads to 200 yds only, and the rifle hunter reads to 999 yds. The technology is the same with either model. There is a $20 difference in price. And I believe they also read to a 89 +/- degrees. And they have been out for a couple years.

What you some of you guys don't understand is that the glass in Leupold, Nikon, Bushnell, ect...SUCKS HORRIBLY in lowlight conditions!!!!!!!!!!!!! I've yet to look thru a single rangefinder built by any of those manufacturers that doesn't black out at first or last light!!

I called AWHOLELOTTABULL and I'm going to buy a new Vortex rangefinder from him. I'm hoping it's the one I've been looking for.

I appreciate the responses and hope I didn't offend anyone but some of the glass you guys are reccommending is complete garbage in my opinion!! Obviously the Swaro/Zeiss/Leica isn't garbage but I'm not looking for a Bino/Rangefinder combo, I just want a rangefinder with great glass that compensates angles for bowhunting...it's that simple. Sounds like Vortex has done it and if they have, they're going to sell a million of em!!

~Z~

Gonna play you a Song ~Z~!

[font color=red size=redsize=18"face"]SHOW THEM TO ME![/font]
If You Love Your Country,SHOW THEM TO ME!

I've got Wild Honey Tree's and Crazy Little Weeds growin around my Shack!
These Dusty Roads ain't streets of gold but I'm happy right where I'm at!
All these Perty little Western Belles are a Country Boys Dream!
They ain't got Wings or MM Halo's but they sure look good to me!

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Great Deals at Camera Land

Camera Land - Optics, Cameras, & More

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics

Camera Land - The Place to Buy Optics
Back
Top Bottom