Unclaimed controlled tags (1st drawing)

deepforks

picked up my bull tag at the downtown f&g office this afternoon. they said they were "hoping" to have the unclaimed tags posted by friday. that'd be nice, but we'll see.

also got a little clarification on another item: if you draw an antlered deer/elk, the one year waiting period only applies to the 1st drawing. has nothing to do with the 2nd drawing. since i drew my buck tag last year in the 2nd drawing, i could have put in for the 1st drawing this year. wish i would have known that awhile back.

You're right deepforks, and if you drew a bull/buck tag in the first drawing last year, you can still apply for the second drawing.

Good luck everyone.

That ain't a camel toe, that's a moose knuckle!

LAST EDITED ON Jul-31-12 AT 08:32PM (MST)[p]They may want to get their information straight and have a unified answer. My brother drew 2nd drawing deer last year and was told he couldn't apply for a buck tag this year in the first drawing..........

I don't feel too bad for him since he drew a smoking elk tag this year, but..........

I wish people would read instead of base their knowledge off of hearsay.

Page 82 in the big game regs.

-A person whose name was drawn in an antlered-only
controlled deer hunt may not apply for any other
controlled antlered-only deer hunt for one year except
for the second deer, elk and pronghorn application period
and leftover controlled hunt drawings or sales.

- For example, a hunter who drew a tag in an antlered-only
deer hunt in 2011, cannot apply for another antlered-
only deer hunt until 2013, in the first application period.
However, they can apply for another antlered deer hunt
in the 2012 season during the second application period.

- This waiting period also applies to antlered-only
controlled elk hunts.
- There is no waiting period to apply for any other deer,
elk, pronghorn or black bear controlled hunt tags. The
one-year waiting period does not apply to controlled
hunts with an unlimited number of tags or Landowner
Appreciation tags.

If you draw any tag in the 2nd draw you can put in and draw the next year in the 1st draw. I know a guy that drew on the 2nd last year and drew again this year on the 1st. They were bull tags so the 1 year wait does not apply if you draw in the 2nd go around.

> If you draw any tag
>in the 2nd draw you
>can put in and draw
>the next year in the
>1st draw. I know a
>guy that drew on the
>2nd last year and drew
>again this year on the
>1st. They were bull tags
>so the 1 year wait
>does not apply if you
>draw in the 2nd go
>around.

That contradicts what Idabow posted from the regs.

I agree. I read the regs. "A person whose name was drawn in an antlered-only controlled deer hunt may NOT apply for any other controlled antlered-only deer hunt for one year EXCEPT for the second deer, elk, and pronghorn application period and leftover controlled hunt tag sales".
This would lead me to believe that even if you drew a 2nd drawing tag last year, you can only apply for a second drawing tag this year and not a first drawing antlered-only tag. Doesn't differentiate between first drawing and second drawing. Drawing a tag is drawing a tag.

i have to agree with hayzeus.. even though it is an antler only tag, its during the second draw, ( which has no limitations on WHO can draw) which should have no consequences on the tag

I think this needs to be worded better in the regs.

If you draw a first drawing antlered deer/elk tag, you may not enter in the first drawing the following year.

If you draw a first drawing tag, you may apply for a second drawing the following year.

If you draw a second drawing tag, you do not have to wait a year. You may apply for the first drawing the following year.

This may not be how its worded, but its how it works. The entire point of the second drawing is to make money. If they get too restrictive with the waiting and such, they are loosing money. This way, they make you wait a year, but they still get your application fees. Its all BS, if you ask me.

I've really been scratching my head on this one, so I emailed IDFG. "Per the big-game regs on page 82 that discuss eligibility...... My understanding is that if a person draws an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 2nd drawing in 2011, they CANNOT apply for an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 1st drawing in 2012.

They can apply for an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 2nd drawing in 2012. Is this correct?

So my question really is, can a person draw an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 2nd draw in 2011 and still apply for an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 1st draw in 2012???

I kid you not, here is the reply. I don't think MM will keep their answers highlighted so I'll type "IDFG response" in front of their answer.

Sent: Thursday, August 02, 2012 12:54 PM
To: IDFGINFO
Subject: WEB SITE - email

This message was sent from the IDFG website.

Actually, all three statements are correct.

Cade Powell writes:

Per the big-game regs on page 82 that discuss eligibility...... My understanding is that if a person draws an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 2nd drawing in 2011, they CANNOT apply for an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 1st drawing in 2012.
IDFG Response: That is correct
They can apply for an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 2nd drawing in 2012. Is this correct? IDFG Response: Yes
Can a person draw an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 2nd draw in 2011 and still apply for an antlered only buck/bull tag on the 1st draw in 2012??? IDFG Response: If an antlered tag is drawn through the second application period, it doesn't affect eligibility for the next year.

I emailed back and asked for a little more clarification. LOL
I'll let you know what they say........

Thanks for taking the initiative to try to clear this up.

If I'm not mistaken, your 1st and 3rd question are essentially the same. And you got two different answers.

This is why I have no faith in the F&G. If you asked half a dozen different people the same question, you'd get at least that many answers.

Just received another email that didn't clear it up so I called HQ and asked the rep who answered my emails.

If you draw a 2nd drawing tag, you are not limited by any restrictions for applying in the 1st drawing the next year.

Another interesting side note is that there is no non/res cap on the 2nd drawing tags. Everyone goes in the same pool and whoever gets drawn, gets drawn.

Glad I have both LQ elk and deer this year and don't have to apply for the 2nd drawing!

Hope this helps.........

"A person whose name was drawn in an antlered-only
controlled deer hunt may not apply for any other
controlled antlered-only deer hunt for one year except
for the second deer, elk and pronghorn application period
and leftover controlled hunt drawings or sales."

Seems pretty clear to me. If they are telling you that the proclamtion isn't correct then they damn well should correct it. I am suspicious that whoever sent you the email is interpreting the statute incorrectly. The regulations make no exceptions for the second draw. And, the discordant answers we are gettig from IDFG says something as well, and it is not flattering.

What else means something different from what it says???

Other things that are incorrect/open for interpretation:

Season dates.
Unit boundaries.
Weapon restrictions.
Bag limits.
Everything in the regs.

If more people knew that these were just guidelines instead of set-in-stone rules, think about how much more success we'd have.

i emailed f&g after i was informed in person as well, just to have it in writing. i tried to put it in very straight forward scenerios, so i would get staight forward answers. f&g's responses are the last sentences of each scenerio.

Sent: Tuesday, July 31, 2012 8:51 PM
To: IDFGINFO
Subject: WEB SITE - email

This message was sent from the IDFG website.

xxxx xxxxxx writes:

to whom it may concern, i would like a little clarification on the 1st and 2nd controlled hunt drawings, as they relate to antlered deer/elk.

scenerio 1: if I draw an antlered deer on the 1st drawing (2010), i cannot put in on the 1st drawing for that species the following year (2011). but i can put in on the 2nd drawing (2011). correct? Yes, that is correct.

scenerio 2: if i draw an antlered deer on the 2nd drawing (2010), i can put in on the 1st drawing for that species the following year (2011). correct? Yes, that is correct

thank you

Request Received: 07-31-2012 20:50:34

It doesnt really matter what anyone tells you. If you can draw in the second go around one year and draw again in the first draw the next year it must be true because it does happen. If you guys dont want to believe it than its your loss.

How's this for luck. I have a cousin who's husband drew unit 45 deer one year and then the next year 4 people didn't pick up their unit 45 deer tag so he put in with a couple other guys as a group of 3 for the 2nd draw and they got it. What are the odds.... Actually I figured it and it is 1 in 9000. I wish I had that kind of luck!

I put in for the OIL draw, for rocky sheep and did not draw. That made me ineligible to apply for the deer/elk/ant 1st draw. Can I apply for any species I'd like on the 2nd draw??

>I put in for the OIL
>draw, for rocky sheep and
>did not draw. That made
>me ineligible to apply for
>the deer/elk/ant 1st draw.
>Can I apply for any
>species I'd like on the
>2nd draw??

Yes. I've drawn several 2nd draw tags after unsucc on OIL.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom