unit 014 deer and predator control project

gundog2

I drew my first NV deer tag for unit 014 late, with 9 points. I have hunted antelope in unit 61, which was a was a great experience, but otherwise I don't have any experience hunting in this state. Needless to say, I am excited about this deer hunt.

I have read a few interesting things about unit 14 deer and the predator control project in this area. It seems that some people say it has been successful improving deer numbers, but others say not so. I suspect very few hunters really have much experience in this unit because it is pretty hard to draw, but I would be very interested to hear if any readers have a historical perspective on this deer herd and the predatory control project in this area.

Also wondering when deer start to rut in this area. The early rifle hunt ends on October 10th and my late hunts runs from October 21st to November 5. This will also be my first time hunting mule deer in November.

Gundog2,

Congrats on drawing the 014 deer tag!

I haven't hunted it before so I can't help in that regard but as far as the predator control program the latest issue of Muley Crazy had an article on that very thing that you might be interested in. It was written by doctor who was one the former Nevada Wildlife Commissioner's and he uses the 014 predator control program and the NDOW's own printed deer herd data to conclude that the deer herds would rebound in other units if predator control programs were implemented there as was done in 014...

Good luck on your hunt!

Horniac

You will begin to see some bucks moving out by November 5, but the rut won't get hot for another week or more. They'll be there, but tougher to find. Hope for snow.

There's an article in Muley Crazy May/June 2013 about unit 014 and predator control interesting read.

I have been trying to find Muley Crazy in the Logan (UT) area, but no luck. Is this magazine sold in stores? I am too cheap to pay the $3.00 shipping fee required to order it by mail.

I hunted unit 14 last year during the early season, ended up shooting a 170 deer on my last day, if you want any info go ahead and PM me.

I found the Muley Crazy mag with article about the Project 18 predator control project. I thought the author makes a good case for the benefits of predator control for mule deer herd, but unfortunately the reported cost of this project, nearly $0.5 million if I am not mistaken, was not convincingly justified in my mind. As the author pointed out, this is one of the smallest management units in the state. There is now way that the NDOW can pay that rate across the whole state.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom