Unit 10 late archery

JTJ81

This is my first Nevada tag, just wanted to know if it's worth getting
a guide for the late hunt or have the deer already moved down from the
high country by then, I know the weather has a lot to do with it. Im fine
with going diy just wondering. Do you guys know if there are ranchers that
allow access for a fee? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jason

I hunted this hunt years ago. Saw 18 bucks over 26" and 2 over 30. The best was a high, heavy, deep forked, 185-190 bucks that was rut stupid.

All that said, it was very tough. The bucks were in bitter brush country with cover 2' tall and tons of doe herds between me and them. I'd do it again but hunting archery in sub-zero temps are tough.

Thanks for the response, from what I've heard the access can be a problem on this hunt. Califelkslayer did you have this problem when you hunted this unit? I would love just to see that many bucks in a trip. What part of Cali are you from?

Thanks, Jason

There is plenty of public access throughout the unit group. You shouldn't need a guide, especially if you know how to run a pair of binoculars and a spotting scope, and if you have no problem using your god given quads. Plus, I just don't see how a guy can get the satisfaction out of paying someone to do everything but put the cross hairs on an animal and pulling the trigger. Pulling a tag in a unit you initially know nothing about, doing your homework and scouting, and then harvesting a quality animal is what I believe sets the best from the rest. Plus that achievement alone will provide you with more fulfillment and satisfaction than any canned/guided hunt would.

Just a couple tips for you hunt in area 10...Most of the deer migrate once the snow starts to pile on. So, your odds of seeing deer will increase if bad weather rolls in. Sometimes that weather comes before the start of the late archery hunt, and sometimes during the hunt, and the deer will be on the move...sometimes never, much like this past year, and the deer stay high, skiddish, and hidden after being slammed by hunters for 3 solid months. I'll leave it up to you to do your homework and find out where the migration corridors and winter ranges are. If you plan well you should have no problem seeing lots of deer.

Also, as you likely know already, bucks are often in the full swing of the rut during the archery hunt. So be prepared to outwit a lot of noses, eyes, and ears, as the mature bucks will likely be keeping a harem company.

Good luck!

JT, Call the biologist in Elko. Hes a good guy and will tell you what you need to know. That hunt is fricken fun!

Thanks for all the info, bombardeer i would way rather do it diy and that is the plan I just didn't know if the private land issues were that big of a deal where I needed to pay for access or a guide that has access. I have never been on a guided hunt all my hunts have been diy. I plan on doing my home work to make this hunt the best it can be. Gazelle, thanks for the input I do plan on calling the local biologist, I've already got his number. Have you hunted this late season before?

>This is my first Nevada tag,
>just wanted to know if
>it's worth getting
>a guide for the late hunt
>or have the deer already
>moved down from the
>high country by then, I know
>the weather has a lot
>to do with it.
>Im fine
>with going diy just wondering. Do
>you guys know if there
>are ranchers that
>allow access for a fee? Any
>info would be greatly appreciated.
>
>
>Thanks, Jason

Hey Jason.... What are the dates of your hunt???

Hey Joey, the dates are Nov 10th-30th. Whats your plans this fall? I'll be going to wyoming too if I draw it's also for deer. I was not expecting to draw this tag in Nevada, I can't wait!!

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom