Unit 101 or 102 Deer

elkhunter7pt

Have max points and wondering if it's worth trying for one of these units. I know 101 has only 75 tags and 102 has around 300 tags. Not looking for anyone to pinpoint a spot just would like to know what I would be looking at on a hunt in these areas. Thanks Much and appreciate any help.

Res or non?Low draw odds,lots of public land;lots of deer in 102,fewer in 101.Hunt hard for a 170 class buck in either area.Good access in both units.

I think 102 is the better area. My son and I saw several nice bucks while hunting cow elk in 31 last year.

From what i've see you can get a better buck on average in 101 but you will have to hunt harder, easy access, roads everywhere, count on seeing 20 to 50 bucks a day if you spend enough time looking you'll have a chance at something big 2 guys I work with shot 185-190 class bucks in 102 last year

I wonder how hard they got hit this winter.

"I have found if you go the extra mile it's Never crowded".

LAST EDITED ON Feb-28-10 AT 04:00PM (MST)[p]Gator,
There hasn't been a much of, if any, winter in that portion of wy this year.

I would love to see 102 in a few years if they cut the buck tags in 1/2....

So I've decided it will be 102 with max points that I try for this year. What can a person expect to see on a average day. I know my odds are still terrible.

Depends a lot on several factors including what time of the season you hunt and what the weather is like, but in an average day you might see 20 bucks. During the archery hunt I saw a lot more bucks, 30+ per day, 0 bigger deer. If you're lucky maybe one of those will be 170-180. If you're even luckier, you might see a bigger one. The biggest challenge is not to loose patience after seeing a lot of "nice" bucks.

Not a lot of snow in 102 this winter so the deer should be fine. Only thing I don't like is I think they give out 400 tags now. I would look at 102. Lots of bucks, every now and then, a stud comes out of there. Great bow hunt as well. Killed a buck pushing 180 in 2004, had good mass, great fronts, weak backs killed the score. Saw lots a good deer though.

you'll see a lot of 3 points,and some really big 3 points if you look hard enough ton's of 140-150 type bucks the end of the season is the best because the rut is starting to get into swing, they might give 400 tags but a lot of guys go home empty on the last day last year I saw atleast 50 people who hadn't tagged out yet

30' 3x3's with out eye guards.... that the choice buck for the most part who hunter there! bigger bucks indeed but its hunting instead of driving and using $1200 bino's instead of $100 ones and same for spotting scopes!
(great glass is everything!)
scout-scout-scout!!
4a2c3c3419e430ad.jpg

rackmaster

The real beauty of 102 is that your tag is good for "Any deer" whereas 101 is "Antlered deer" only.

:)

Eel

Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety.

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom