unit 12 elk

LouieT

We drew first season bull tags for unit 12. We were planning on hunting the Vaughn lake area and to the west of that. Heard the elk will be in the tale end of the rut for this hunt. Was just wondering how the herd is doing and if people thought this would be a good starting point. We plan to do a lot of walking to get away from people and quads. Thanks for any input.

Not sure on the area but they were screamin last year the first day in the fog and snow but shut up once it cleared up and the shootin started.

In a general sense, that is an outstanding area. Specifically, you won't know until you hunt. That's why they call it hunting. Unit 12 leads the state in elk kill every year.

First day get back in early,find a good vantage point where you can see good ,set and let other hunters push the elk to you. You will not be alone ,no matter how far you walk in.Unit 12 holds alot of elk,but it also holds tons of hunters. Take advantage of the other hunters.
I would bet that half or more of the elk killed in unit 12 ,is killed in the first 3 hours of season.

I was near Vaughn Lake last year the 1st day. I heard very few shots. The elk just weren't there last year, but this year could be totally different.

I was in unt 231 last year ,east of unit 12 and we could not find any elk either. All the signs of elk was there ,but could not locate them.

Thanks for the info. Is it worth carrying a spotting scope back in with us to glass or is it thicker cover? I hate to carry the weight if it will not be useful. Thanks

Where I have hunted in unit 12 a spotting scope would not do any good. I like a good pair of 8x42 binoculars.

North of Ripple Creek Pass is good. The hunters that take horses into the Cyclone Park do real well and the trail going back is pretty easy. Expect to make about a 3 hour hike in the dark unless you backpack in.

Cyclone park sounded like a dove shoot last year on opening morning,alot of hunters but plenty of elk.Whiterock is dead on about the elk there and plenty of folks.I had better luck hunting small clearings surrounded by thick stuff than big open aspen like areas,and the bull I shot was sneaking thru the black timber like a whitetail at about 60 yards.Watch those places with fresh sign.

A buddy of mine hunted in that same area last year and had a group of 17 hunters come right by him single file. He said he did see elk and shot a 5x5 but wasnt going back because of so many hunters. He said it ruined the experience- Hatrick

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom