Unit 125

COtransplant

Just found out I drew this tag nonres. Wasn't expecting to draw this year and truthfully don't know what to expect. I do know the area a little bit, as I grew up across the border in Montana, and my daughter spent her summers at her moms in Worland and Greybull.
Anyone willing to share input/ideas/opinions on the terrain, places to avoid, or the best place to eat a burger...not looking for an intimate description of your honey hole.
Feel free to pm if you'd rather
COtransplant

Wow! You must be a busy dude if it took you a week after the draw results were posted to find out you drew 125. Good luck, as you drew my tag, so I can't say much about where to go or you might shoot the buck I'm after.

Hate to admit it topgun, but I have been. My excavation business has had me running full days for almost a month now. It's a good thing, but it does cut into the important things in life...like checking tags!,
Hate to hear I got your tag, but excited to hunt up there. What's top end deer in that unit gonna score?

>Hate to admit it topgun, but
>I have been. My excavation
>business has had me running
>full days for almost a
>month now. It's a
>good thing, but it does
>cut into the important things
>in life...like checking tags!,
>Hate to hear I got your
>tag, but excited to hunt
>up there. What's top end
>deer in that unit gonna
>score?

***I figured you were still a working man, LOL! Seriously though, I was kidding when I said you got my tag. That was the unit I had planned on hunting, but it's not worth the PPs it takes now because it's gone downhill so bad the last 5 years or so. If things work out I'm going down on a high country hunt in Region G next year to use my PPs. If I were you from the two times I've been in 125 helping a resident friend with that tag, I'd shoot the first 150" or better buck I saw and be happy. Also, if you don't have the time to hunt the entire two week season, hunt the second week as the rut starts to get the better bucks on the move and do a lot more sitting and glassing than walking.

I live in basin and the unit starts about 500 yards from my house. and to be honest the area isnt what it used to be... there are some giants taken out of there every year though. My buddy and mom drew it this year. Last time I hunted it was 2008 and I shot a small 130 (my biggest at that time)but I have seen some big ones there. the gooseberry has the highest consentration of does. so lots of miles on your glass and you should do fine. Its a big area... when you are done and looking for a warm meal the choices are limited.. Lisas in Greybull is pretty good if you want to drive that far...

Hunted it a couple years ago and will go along with the others' opinions. Low deer numbers, with many deer on private. Seems a couple decent bucks are shot every year, but you might have a hard time finding 3 year old 150" bucks. The walk-in-access areas get pounded. Go have fun and don't worry about the inch game on that unit.

You guys are awesome. Great input. Sounding like the 4 days of overlapping season will be spent in colorado. Chances for a big one are better here sounds like. As you guys were saying, it will be a fun hunt. New territory, new views, and yes, new places to eat.

I would second Lisas place to eat, as I was there last Fall for the first time and found it excellent.

I will make it a point to eat at Lisa's in Greybull as I will be there in late Oct. for my ELK hunt close to that area. In fact, if that Lisa's has not changed names in 27 years, I had one of the best Ham Steak dinners back then while staying in town, more than I could eat.

Thanks for the reminder on Lisa's.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

A buddy and myself had the tag a few years ago. Seen one bruiser on nov 7 but he didn't hang around long. He and a freak were hanging around with some does. He busted out and the goofy buck hung around my kid wanted me to take it he was pretty excited so I decided since my buddy and son were there why not. Made some great memories. Spent night in a wall tent that had icecicles hanging in the morning stayed in truck Not comfortable lol and even treated ourselves to a motel a couple nights in Worland. We didn't harvest big deer but had a great time and had chances at a couple others that were 160-170" types. Go Have FUN and enjoy the experience.

I also got lucky & drew. I only had 2 points & bought the special tag. Figured I drew one of the two random tags. Planning a solo DIY the first 7-10 days.

How are the access roads? Should I bring 4-wheeler or leave it home?

Any suggestions on a good place stay & to get meat processed? I live in WA & need to have it cut & wrapped before I meat home.

I apologize for the thread jack in advance. Good Luck!!

>I also got lucky & drew.
>I only had 2 points
>& bought the special tag.
>Figured I drew one of
>the two random tags. Planning
>a solo DIY the first
>7-10 days.
>
>How are the access roads? Should
>I bring 4-wheeler or leave
>it home?
>
>Any suggestions on a good place
>stay & to get meat
>processed? I live in WA
>& need to have it
>cut & wrapped before I
>meat home.
>
>I apologize for the thread jack
>in advance. Good Luck!!

Yep, you had to have drawn one of those two random tags with only 2 PPs even if you applied in the special draw. I would suggest that unless there is no away you can hunt other than when you mentioned that you make your hunt as many days as you can later towards the end of the two week season. The further you get into November with the rut heating up, the better you'll have of seeing a good buck during legal shooting hours. If you can set up a good camp out in the unit, that is your best bet to not waste hunting time driving back and forth to Worland. Otherwise, you're probably talking about going to a motel in Worland or staying in the campground on the north side of the main drag as you go east out of there heading to TenSleep. Several nice motels are within several blocks of that campground on the east side of town and there are plenty of eating establishments from fast food to nicer places along with several big grocery stores and plenty of gas stations.

There are plenty of legal roads to get around on in the unit with a 4x4, but like any of the unimproved roads in the state you'll need chains if you get moisture and that time of year it is likely to be snow. If you have a quad and the means to take it with you, I would certainly suggest that you do so. That could save your bacon if it really gets nasty where you wouldn't want to even try to take your truck out anywhere.

There is only one real small meat processor that I know of around the Worland area and I don't even know if he's open that late in the year before he heads south for the winter. It's out about 7-8 miles on the west side of the highway going north out of Worland. If he's open and you have to use him, I'll tell you right now that I quit going there after seeing what I considered very poor sanitation practices when I went inside to pick up my antelope salami I had him do a couple years ago. If you're driving, I don't think you'll need to have the meat processed in Wyoming with the cold weather you'll have in November. I don't think unit 125 is a CWD unit, so I would think you could just either quarter the animal or bone it out and ice it down in a cooler or two and either process it at home yourself or a place that is near your home that you may be aware of. Good luck!

Crazy...I drew it with 2 points as well. Both of us lucky dudes just happen to frequent MM. Coincidence? Nah
I have had some very informative PMs from guys on here. You rock
I plan to hint the last 10 days or so due to tag conflict in Colorado

>Crazy...I drew it with 2 points
>as well. Both of us
>lucky dudes just happen to
>frequent MM. Coincidence? Nah
>I have had some very informative
>PMs from guys on here.
>You rock
>I plan to hint the last
>10 days or so
>due to tag conflict in
>Colorado

That is unreal that two MMers would get the only two random tags in that draw. I hope you both fill with big bucks!

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-14 AT 08:00PM (MST)[p]Thanks you guys this was helpful. I promised I'd go hunting with my brother 11/14-11/19 in WA so the last day I can hunt WY would be the morning of 11/12.

I'll be driving a 2013 mica colored Tacoma. Hope to see you COtransplant. With all the moisture this year there should some good horn growth & maybe a couple whoppers for two lucky MMers!!

Hope to have a great story & pics to share after the hunt. Good Luck. :)

Went to family's in montana over the 4th. Spent a day down there scouting. Man, that country looks like the jackrabbits carry canteens! Saw a lot of deer, a big herd of little bull elk, but no wolves...my buddy up there tells me the wolves are fair game in that unit. Wouldn't that be a neat story to share on MM?
Reckon I'd trade my deer for just one wolf
I'll be hunting up there the 5th through the end of the season. There is so much BLM a guy won't be able to see it all. Looks like a great challenge

LAST EDITED ON Jul-07-14 AT 06:47PM (MST)[p]Sounds like ya have the right dates planned, I would hunt the last days of the season for sure, Sounds like ya seen some critters so that's a plus. Good call on the wolfs, lay them down!!!! Good Luck

update...
I went up November 5 and hunted through the 14th. Man was it tough hunting. It was 70 and 75 degrees the first 5 days. I was carrying a lotta water in my pack. I spent tons of hours on the spotter, walked a bunch of miles in some of the better terrain/cover i could find, and found deer every day. But not a single mature buck found. Plenty of 2 points and a lot of 3 points, but no mature deer.
Being new to the unit, i spent the first days exploring and trying to figure out how to tie in major roads with connecting "trails".I hunted Squaw Teats on the Meeteetse side, 15 mile creek, Corral creek, Fenton Pass, behind Manderson, Gooseberry, and everything in between. Two of those days i spent on the atv. Wore myself out on that thing, did over 100 miles of rough stuff. No mature deer.
Then on Monday, the bottom fell out. Temps dropped nearly 40 degrees overnight, and it snowed a bit. It was in the single digits with periodic snow the remainder of the hunt. I was excited for the cold weather, as i thought it would bring on the rut and bring the big boys out of the hills.
out of desperation, i tried driving the highway along Gooseberry to see if there was anything mature in the private that i could figure out how to find across the road in the BLM. The road was a zoo with hunters parked all over watching the deer in the private irrigated fields. Once again, plenty of bucks, but nothing mature. Tried the same thing along the north side of the unit(actually a couple miles into the neighboring unit)on the private irrigated Actually saw my only nice buck there. Nice big 5pt on one side, but deformed on the other so it only had 3 big points.
By the time I had been there 5 days, I knew the vicinity to find 6 doe herds in my unit. I continued to check back on them regularly hoping a big boy would come in and run off the little bucks.Nope
The first few days I was there, I had the place nearly to myself. It was awesome. But Saturday the 8th, everybody and their dog was out there at daylight. Looked like Christmas trees on nearly all the hills and most of the draws. I hunted til about 9am and quit for the day.Just too many people. Went to Montana and spent the day with my grandma and went back to it Sunday.
I had some pickup problems in the temps that ran down to -20. Battery cables lost connection from the cold. Happened to exchange numbers with a couple fellas from Idaho to exchange information while hunting different places. When my pickup wouldnt start on my return from a hike, Walt came 15 miles out there to rescue me after dark and in the cold. Only in the hunting world we love can you call a virtual stranger and get help. If youre reading this Walt, thank you again. Ended up having to replace both batterys and the starter to cure the problem. Sucks that it happened during hunting time, but my trusty ol pickup has 285k miles on her. Cant blame the truck.
This Colorado boy gave up 1 day before the season was actually done. I knew Saturday would be a zoo again and frankly was discouraged.
Residents I talked to up there said they had EHD pretty severely last year and drought for several years. Also rumors of CWD issues. Maybe that explains the shortage of big deer. I was reassured by several locals that if I held out, a big one would show.
One final note...I bought a new GPS and Xmaps for it just for this hunt. That bugger got me into multiple tight spots! Hunt til dark, walk back to the truck, fire up the GPS to try to find the most direct route back to town. Ended up dead ended, washed out, and having to backtrack many miles to get out. Apparently due to budget cuts, BLM isnt doing any road maintenance. 2 nights I didnt roll into town until after 9pm due to getting deadended on multiple routes in the dark. I think its a wonderful thing they arent maintaining roads. In fact they should eliminate half the roads/trails out there. That part of the world has trails on nearly every ridge and draw. Small wonder the bucks have a hard time reaching maturity. Lesson learned...dont explore new routes after dark!
I had a great hunt and an awesome voyage. Just didnt see any mature deer that were huntable on my tag. Unit 125 needs a break WGFD. I would hunt it again, but not for a couple years.

Shawn,
Sounds like you should of stayed home in the honey hole! lol

Oh well at least you had fun, and got to visit your grandmother!
Thanks for the update.

My buddy and I were hunting ELK in Unit 41 the last full week of Oct. and the weather was warm then too. High 60's to low 70's everyday. We were up close to Shell Reserviour for almost 5 days and nothing on Elk.
We ate every day in Greybull and never had a good meal till we ate at Lisa's but then it depended on what you ordered, that first night there the steak was TUFF and baked Potato was hard as a rock.

No kidding the best breakfast and lunch was out at Dirty Annie's just before you get to Shell.

Last time I hunted in that unit it was 1987 on the Flintner Ranch and NO ELK there then either durning the first week of NOV. Now I heard that the ranch has an Outfitter running the hunts and there is a big herd of Elk on that place....go figure.

Brian
http://i44.tinypic.com/es7x8z.jpg[/IMG]

transplant,

thanks for the write up; 125 is an interesting unit; have hunted it 7 times since the mid 90's; have seen many changes in the unit over that time; last time there was 2011; the hunting pressure in the unit has definitely changed over time and not for the better; tag numbers have been consistent so that is not the problem; the unit has over 1 million acres BLM in it, in addition to the private ground; so 100 tags on that amount of area is very small, but, unfortunately, with the advent of technology and the rise of mags like Huntin' Fool, the hunting pressure has gotten very concentrated in that unit; in the 90's and early 2000's it was a unit who was hunted by mostly locals as that was really all that applied for the hunt; they all had their special areas they liked to hunt so the pressure was spread out better; as you found out, it is a low deer density unit; but, it has always been that way; over time, we have not seen the number of deer necessarily decrease, but, the buck quality and buck to doe ratio have steadily gotten worse; when we first started hunting there it was not uncommon to see 4 or 5 bucks out of every 10 deer you saw; and, those were mostly all 3.5 yr old to 5.5 yr old bucks; we used to ask ourselves were all the 1.5 and 2.5 yr old deer were! the first year one of the guys in our group shot a buck that the biologist estimated to be 7.5 yrs old

since the mid 2000's I don't know how many people we have run into out there that seems to be exasperated with the hunting, seeing very few deer, and no real mature bucks; every one of them has said: "well Huntin Fool ranked it as one of the better units to shoot a 180 buck in, but I haven't seen anything like that"; and most people simply can't take the low deer densities.

most of that unit is badland type terrain (except gooseberry) which makes for poor habitat; but there are pockets in there that do have good habitat; unfortunately, now with the internet and the hunting mags you have everybody and their dog concentrated in these small areas; and, the most frustrating is that people set up these elaborate camps, right in the middle of the best habitat areas! when we first started going, you would never see anybody camped up by squaw teats as the locals and the others who hunted the unit knew this was a prime area; last time we were there, there was 7 major camps right up by the teats; that area used to be a major deer corridor/holder; but we have seen that completely change with everybody camping up there now.

last time in 2011, we watched a 170 class buck that was 2 miles from any road, pressed right up onto the edge of the badlands; we saw him 4 times, including the last day, and he NEVER got with any does; he stayed solitary the whole time;

the unit does hold some slugger bucks, but, they are few and far between now; and, the hunting pressure is now all concentrated into the best habitat areas, and the buck quality has decreased, and the quality bucks left seem to have changed their behavior;

used to be one of the best kept secrets in wyoming, but, not anymore unfortunately; I don't think it will ever get back to what it was just because of the type of habitat that is there, and the hunter makeup now; the shift from the locals to the Huntin Fool crowd with there massive 5th wheel trailers, 4 wheel drive ATV's, all camped up in the middle of the best habitat areas seems to have changed it forever

Wyoming Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Badger Creek Outfitters

Offering elk, deer and pronghorn hunts on several privately owned ranches.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, antelope and moose hunts and take B&C bucks most years.

J & J Outfitters

Offering quality fair-chase hunts for trophy mule deer, elk, and moose in Wyoming.

Yellowstone Horse Rentals - Western Wyoming Horses
Back
Top Bottom