Unit 13

silverstem

Our group was thinking about a 4th season elk hunt in unit 13 this year and wanted the pro/cons about this unit? we have never hunted this unit, driven threw, but never hunted.We usually hunt 3/301, but its time for a change.Had some friends hunt this unit and they did very well and thought we would check it out this year..

LAST EDITED ON Mar-09-14 AT 00:46AM (MST)[p]>Our group was thinking about a
>4th season elk hunt in
>unit 13 this year and
>wanted the pro/cons about this
>unit? we have never hunted
>this unit, driven threw, but
>never hunted.We usually hunt 3/301,
>but its time for a
>change.Had some friends hunt this
>unit and they did very
>well and thought we would
>check it out this year..
>

I have hunted it for deer. There is not hardly any public land at all. The public is steep and nasty, ie think the Hamilton canyon. Also the public is irregular shaped and poorly marked. If you are willing to really hunt hard on the public. Ultimately we were able to take a few good bucks but the only chances we got were at first light and we were working hard in the dark to cut off animals heading to private.

It would not be very high on my list and when it made my list to hunt it was as a last resort...

Look on the maps the public is very limited to the sw part of the unit and all along the steep nasty rim rocks in the canyon. There is a chunk of state land but it is open sage and visible from the highway. If there are elk on it you have to cross the river.

This photo shows the public land on the left. There are only certain places you can get up due to the rim rocks. River bottom on right is all private.

Here is one of the bucks we took. Again we worked hard in the dark to get ahead of animals ...

If I planned on hunting unit 13,I would try to locate some private property to hunt on.Usually that comes with a hefty trespass fee.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom