Unit 15 mule deer?

BRHunter

Heading to Idaho next month with a DAV deer tag and bear tag in hand. My buddy has a unit 15 deer tag and we will be heading out together.

I know unit 15 is a whitetail unit. My question is, do I stand a chance to find a muley in the south end of the unit (Gospel Hump)? I would like to hunt with him, but I'd prefer a muley over whitetail.

I've also been looking at the surrounding units that are open for with my tag. Wondering if I would be better off in a different unit or if I realistically could hunt with him in 15 for a muley.

We've got around 9-10 days to hunt. I thought about heading into 15 for half the time and then spending the rest of the hunt in a nearby unit. Logistics come unto play with that though and you just never know what weather and road conditions would allow.

If anyone has experience in the southern end of 15 and wouldn't mind sharing their experience I would greatly appreciate a PM. Thanks in advance.

I wouldn’t hunt with him in that area. Whitetail numbers are decent but best Muley hunting would be archery hunting in the wilderness area as there are always a few good bucks in the high country but they drop down in October rarely seen again during rifle hunting. Best whitetail hunting is last bit of rifle season during the rut and not many Muleys around then. I used to elk hunt there but the wolves have devastated that area.

I wouldn’t hunt with him in that area. Whitetail numbers are decent but best Muley hunting would be archery hunting in the wilderness area as there are always a few good bucks in the high country but they drop down in October rarely seen again during rifle hunting. Best whitetail hunting is last bit of rifle season during the rut and not many Muleys around then. I used to elk hunt there but the wolves have devastated that area.
It's pretty easy for those deer to disappear on the north side of that country. It gets pretty ugly once you get back into the treeline.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom