Unit 15 wolves

kykiller

I've hunted unit 15 muzzy on many occasions over the last 7 or 8 years.Ive noticed two things,first the quality has gone down(which most people will agree)and secondly that the numbers of all elk seem too have gone.Ive talked to some ranchers and guides in that unit and they are saying that the wolves have put a hurt on the calves,yet i here there are supposed to be only a hundred wolves in the whole gila region,16a,16b and 16d.Dose anyone know the real story,or is the fish and game blowing smoke up our a$$ about the real numbers of wolves in the gila ????

The US Fish and Wildlife Service (Feds) estimate just over 100 wolves in both AZ and NM. We think there a lot more as they don't have that many collared wolves to keep track of them. Now with the new Expanded Wolf Areas they are calling for up to 350 wolves and they won't stop there.

Last year we felt we had at least 65 wolves just in NM and with the greater Gila elk herd, that would be capacity as to what an elk herd can sustain and still have some hunting. More than that and we will see our elk herds going down severely.

Hunters wake up. It's only going to get worse. Wolves eat a lot of elk. Many of the ranchers are being hit hard also. All of us on our side of the equation art taking it in the shorts.

I don't think anyone has a way to accurately guesstimate wolf numbers.

I caught a collared wolf on a game cam in 15 spring 2014 scouting for turkeys. Seemed to be by itself.

Saw a yearling moo cow with huge chunk torn out of its hamstring 2013 in 16a. No way to prove what did it, but seems like wolf attack. Pretty sure if a bear tore out that big of a piece it would have been able to just kill the cow. And no way a coyote would have been able to rip out a piece that size.

I've said all along wolf introduction is a means to eliminate the need for hunting. They don't care about wildlife otherwise they'd be pushing to introduce bison, help desert bighorn, etc. etc. But they only push for predators.

Carl

The numbers put out for mexican wolves are a minimum, which means there are undoubtable more out there. Wolves seem to be the only wildlife species for which it is done that way. For other wildlife they count the animals then use confidence intervals to estimate how many they missed. For mexican wolves they just count and use that number, which makes it easier to argue there should be more.

Last week we scouted in 16b, I did not see any signs (tracks or scat) of wolves. What I did see were lots of Jackrabbits, to me that suggests in that particular area we hiked into there have not been a lot of wolves there for a while and very few coyotes.

They have moved out of the release area...imagine that. I have only seen sign a few times in 23,15,22b,16's area. Saw a pack in 23 kill a elk calf yearling,3 yrs ago. Seen more in 12 &13.
They are all the way to Grants and Soccoro now.

I don't know how true it is since I was not there, but one of my coworkers supposedly called one in while yote hunting in February NE of Monticelo (unit 17 south of Socorro). He did take a few pictures with his cell phone and it is no doubt a lanky, scrawny, wolf.

The only thing I can say is that I am thankful that these inbred skinny, Mexican wolves are not anywhere as good at multiplying as the northern variety up in Wyoming, Idaho, and Montana.

For five years or more we've been encountering them on our ranch in the east Manzano mountains. Called game and fish and they blew it off like I didn't know what I was talking about.

They know. They had to trap and relocate one in the refuge near Socorro.It was wearing a collar.
They are just a bunch of hybred dogs really.Nothing like the native Northern ones that have been gone a LONG time here.
Now cross breeding with yotes.

Saw one in the Bandelier just a few months after the Las Conchas fire. That was a long ways north of the Gila. I wonder if they included that one in their counts...

Yeah the last two times of hunted 15 i've run into a pair of wolves(did'nt seem to be to afraid of me and the following year i was putting a stock on a nice herd bull that had a few cows with him and i spooked up about four wolves that looked like they had the same idea that i had.It seems like the fish and game don't give a ?uck because in ten years when 15 looks like a waste land where elk use to thrive,who's going to support them finanicially(the tree huggers,NOT!!!!)

Go ahead and shoot them... just big coyotes... The guy in Utah got off because he thought it was a big coyote. No big deal.And make sure you target the ones with collars on... much more fun to cut the collar off and drive arround a few hundred miles with it... leaves them scratching there heads about how far they can travel...LOL
Jack

For five years or more we've been encountering them on our ranch in the east Manzano mountains. Called game and fish and they blew it off like I didn't know what I was talking about.
Yeah my son and I Broke down about a year ago and we're followed by a pack of about seven or eight wolves when we hit the edge of the clearing with clearing started about a mile from where we broke down they were in the trees and a u-shaped completely around us they all started howling only wolves hell like that coyotes don't have like that dogs don't have like that wolves how like that it was bone chilling definitely wolves I've heard him several times out here we definitely have wolves in the Eastman's on the mountains

Saw a yearling moo cow with huge chunk torn out of its hamstring 2013 in 16a. No way to prove what did it, but seems like wolf attack. Pretty sure if a bear tore out that big of a piece it would have been able to just kill the cow. And no way a coyote would have been able to rip out a piece that size.

Wolf. That's how they kill. They don't crush windpipes the way a lion does to suffocate.

Coyotes do the same thing to deer when they run them down. They tear at the hamstring muscle and tender underbelly to debilitate them, and then eat at their leisure while the animal is still alive.

Maggots is what they really are.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom