unit 16 rifle for deer?

basselkNM

anybody hunt 16 for mule deer? going to b hunting this year for first time have hunted elk in the 16s for last 12years. any advice would b greatly apprecited. Thanks fill free to PM me also

I'll give what I know and I am never putting in for a unit 16 tag again. We packed in the lower side of the wilderness jan 1-15 archery this jan. We hunted the area where the gila and sapillo met; we saw 3 small bucks up high on the ridges and decent 4x4 on the gila bottom. We packed out drove around and spent several days on the north side of 16, two of us on foot one on a horse and found that elk were thriving but he deer population stunk! We spoke with a local in reserve who acually chuckled when he found out how far we came to hunt deer there. I am not saying they are not there but it is not a quality hunt as the wildlife dept says. I hope you have better luck than we did. It is beautiful country to spend time in with freinds tho.

During my rifle elk hunt in 16B last year, I ran into some other hunters who swore they saw a 30" buck in the wilderness. I personally didn't see it, though, so I can't confirm that. I can say that the only deer I saw was a 3x3 on the side of the road south of Reserve.

basselk
why did you put in for the hunt if you dont know where to go? get your ass out there and find the deer instead of sitting behind a computer asking for help!!

ha ha ok mr bullfighter quit asking me for help in 16b for elk then ha ha ha ha and dont worry ill find me a big deer come hunting season !

I PM'ed the coordinates for two nice bucks I saw Saturday. I may have closed the browser before the PM sent, so let me know if you didn't get it and I'll re-send.
Good luck,
Bob

I hunted 16 last year for deer and was very dissapointed! I scouted my A$$ off and hunted to the last day and killed a 22" 3 point muley. 1+ on hunting the junipers! That was the only place I could find any deer number's and you can utilize your optics! PM me if you like and I will tell you exactly where I found deer and killed because I will next hunt deer in that unit again!

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom