Unit 16D NM Elk 1st Rifle Hunt

mistertwister

How does unit 16D look this year as far as quality this year. What would be an expected size to hold out for based on this years conditions and years past averages. What is average and what would be top end? Are drought conditions affecting horn growth? Fires?
Thanks for any replies

MT

That's a great tag you have in one of my favorite units.

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but if you know anything about elk, you should have any problem finding mature 6x6 bulls on that hunt. I can't really speak for the conditions this year in regards to antler growth. There are big bulls in that unit, but not 400"ers behind every tree as many believe. I wouldn't hesitate to drop the hammer if I had a clean shot at a bull that I thought would surpass 350", but I probably wouldn't shoot at anything less than 325".

Don't know of any fires affecting that unit at the moment...

Good luck, take pics, and let us know how it goes.

Went camping recently up there and the conditions are so dry, it was unreal. we saw a ton of deer down in the valleys, but spotted no elk, they must be way up high. Good luck !!!

16D is the hidden secret in NM Don't expect much reply but you have the best tag in the state that you can get. Go kill a big one and p-ost the story and pics.

My point with my statement was only that 16A seems to get more attention on this forum when 16d has much better quality and a larger population of bulls.

In the past 8 years i have rarely missed a year in 16d on an archery hunt. In those 8 years there have been a couple of dry ones. On the dry years i have noticed in the gila in general that the bulls have very weak 5ths. I am an arizona resident and our bulls seem to do much better than gila elk on a given dry year, especially their 5ths. I would expect to see some really good bulls this year with 350-370 frames with 320-330 5ths on their 6 point frames. I drew 16a archery this year and will be very curious to see the 5ths this year on those gila bulls. I would rather hunt elk in the gila than arizona, as there is something very special abouut the gila. I think if you know 16a really well than 16a can easily match 16d in quality of bulls and numbers. I have had several 16d tags and almost as many 16a tags, and my biggest bull came from 16a (385 gross). Good luck to all this year and i hope the bulls have 5ths longer than 14 inches this year. Love those new mexico elk!!!

Damn Couesmagnet, congrats on your multiple elk tags in quaility areas over the years!!! I wish I had your luck in drawing an elk tag in NM. I can't seem to draw elk or antelope in my home state, no matter what choices I put down (Hard or Easy units). I have had better luck at drawing Oryx, Barbary and Ibex than I do elk, antelope and/or deer. Figure those odds??? Congrats again on beating the system on elk and good luck this year, hope you hammer another monster!!
TRC

>Damn Couesmagnet, congrats on your multiple
>elk tags in quaility areas
>over the years!!! I
>wish I had your luck
>in drawing an elk tag
>in NM. I can't
>seem to draw elk or
>antelope in my home state,
>no matter what choices I
>put down (Hard or Easy
>units). I have had
>better luck at drawing Oryx,
>Barbary and Ibex than I
>do elk, antelope and/or deer.
> Figure those odds???
>Congrats again on beating the
>system on elk and good
>luck this year, hope you
>hammer another monster!!
>TRC
Thanks brother, but in the early 2000s drawing the gila was at least reasonable for non residents if you were willing to hunt the early hunts. On the years we didnt draw we bought landowner permits for public land in 16a or16d, before the prices went thru the roof. When i got priced out, i went with my dad and brother who could handle the tag prices. I have been lucky though and drawn 2 16d tags and 2 16a tags. I also drew an awesome arizona elk tag this year that has some of the biggest bulls in the state. I get punch drunk just thinking about september. I also might draw the strip(13B) archery deer this year as i have 12 points for the draw in the resident pool. I cant wait to leave for 2 months and stick everything that moves with a big rack. I just wanted to say that its a tragedy that all those tags have been taken away from nonresidents, but i understand the residents side also. Just gonna miss the gila, my favorite place to be when the rut is on. Guess i better go back to guiding the gila so i dont miss out on much.

I have max points for deer in AZ, but will wait a couple years when I can do the hunt right. I drew 23 South archery in AZ last year and killed my largest bull to date 374 6/8. I wish it didn't take 12 to 14 years (normally)to draw a decent tag though.
good luck again and keep us posted with your updates and pictures.
TRC

LAST EDITED ON Jun-29-11 AT 08:16PM (MST)[p]>I have max points for deer
>in AZ, but will wait
>a couple years when I
>can do the hunt right.
> I drew 23 South
>archery in AZ last year
>and killed my largest bull
>to date 374 6/8.
>I wish it didn't take
>12 to 14 years (normally)to
>draw a decent tag though.
>
>good luck again and keep us
>posted with your updates and
>pictures.
>TRC
TRC, we have met and talked for awhile last year at the hotel in young. My little brother killed that 374 bull in 23 north with his bow. I saw your bull in person and spent time with your dad i believe. Your bull is a stud for sure. My name is dave.

Dave good to hear from you...Small world!!
I'll PM you my e-mail info and fill you in on my end.
GREAT TO HEAR FROM YOU!!
Terry

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom