UNIT 17 ELK

H

highmountain

WOW, where do I start out at. I drew what looks to me like 1 out of the 4 nonresident elk tags for unit 17 3rd week archery. I have heard they are around 1300 elk in this unit and about 1 bull for ever 2 cows. What do you guys think about this and do most stay in the national forest or private property? What about size of bulls? Looking to branch out from Idaho to have a chance to kill a bigger bull. I have lots of experience elk hunting here in Idaho with quite a few under my belt. I can trade info on Idaho for info on 17. I have been told apache kid and withington! Any others unknown national forest spots. would someone mind to pm me starting points? Also looking for camping spots if you know where any cool spot are. Looking to have a lot of fun and can't wait to bulge bulls!!! Like I said, can trade info in quite a few differnet state. Thanks again for any info!!

P.S. I was lucky enough to work in (NM) 3 Years ago and was only able to drive around the unit but that was all. Could use help! Thanks again.

highmountain

Game and Fish stated the carrying capasity for Unit 17 is around 300 head of elk give or take. Not 1300

Best of Luck

Scratch

Well they must be lying to one of us. You are telling me that in unit 17 there are 100 bulls and 200 cows is all? Around 300 total. I am saying this because the elk are close to 1 bull per 2 cows? Fish and game web site say's that they can substain to kill 98-198 bull and twice that many cows. Just wondering being 3 states away! I see not to many responses here on this site. I dont know if people are mad or what. I drew a nonres tag, come on! I will be lucky to hunt this unit twice in my lifetime. Any info is great, Thanks.

Highmountain, we exclusively put in for Elk in 17. We could hunt many other spots in the state being residents, but the trophy potential in 17 is incredible. They only take a few monsters out of there every year, but the one's they take, are truly monsters. My brother killed a 360 in there last year. Problem is, when the bulls are in they are going crazy, but once they get a lot of hunting pressure, they hit the road. I'd look anywhere near Pine Tank, and hit the head of Kelly canyon, can't go wrong there. Good luck.

I don't think there is any good bulls in that unit. I would just eat that tag and go hunting with your buddy that has a Colorado unit 76 tag. :)

I wish I had information for you dude. Good luck.

IB

You know me. I was ready for colorado but now I have to hunt some unit 17 in new mexico for some reason! 3rd week, bummer for sure. :) Thanks IB, cant wait to hunt goats with ya. Hopefully we both shoot some smokers!!!

I really dont know why you would hunt new mexico unit 17 over west mountain. I sure wish it would work out that i could go on that hunt!!! Brian

Brian, I am sure that nm 17elk don't have anything on the spike bulls we chase on west mountian. Those spikes are huge, maybe 30 inches total. Good fun though!! :) I hope you can go too! That would be awesome. I would hate to shoot a 300 Plus without you.

My buddy and I drew tags for the first season archery in 17. We're pretty dang pumped too.

When I get some more time I'll send you a PM, maybe we can share some info. We've learned a little bit, but are still researching too

We're taking a Ranger to navigate forest roads (yes, we WILL stay on the roads, we just don't want to beat up my buddy's 2007 Dodge diesel) and are preparing for every eventuality.

We are taking stuff to camp at truck. Taking stuff to camp at Ranger, and taking bivy gear as well in case we find some elk a couple miles in somewhere. Looks like the Apache Kid wilderness might be a good area to bivy in for a night or two and look around

Everyone has said to stay mobile, which is another reason for the Ranger. Depending on how good the roads are, we might use it for mobility. AGain, don't want to beat up the truck unnecessarily, and a Ranger can cover rough roads a lot faster and more comfortably than a full size truck

Does anyone know status of water? We're taking LOTS of water with us, but will we be able to supplement out of springs, seeps, etc. with our purifier?

Bake

bakerb, it is late rigth now but would like to talk w ya. send pm when you can and we can swap info! talk with ya soon!

Bake
are you hunting the first week of September in that unit? I am there the second week? PM me if you read this, lets trade some info.

I have hunted this unit the past two years for both deer and cow elk. The apache kid area I have found to have more deer. We see some elk in there but not as many as we see on the west side of withington. There are not a lot of hunters so you will have to hunt hard to find the elk. We have had good luck hunting along the private land off of 52. If you have an atv be sure and bring it, there are alot of forest roads

Deepat, thanks for the info you gave. It sure helps out and with others too, a person can get a game plan going. I will be hitting that area west of the withingtons pretty hard so hopefully get into some good bulls! Agian thanks for the info I really appreciate it. God Bless and have a great day! Check your PM.

My son has a youth muzzleloader bull tag for 17.
We've been busy hunting blacktail deer, but his mind never drifts far from his elk hunt.
I want nothing more than to see him score on a good bull this fall.
The NM guys are about the most helpful on this board.
Thanks to all for your generous help.
HH

HH, I hope ur kid justs the one he wants. Hope all is going well and I agree with ya on the NM guy's. Thanks you for all your help. It's going to be a great year! If it happens for me, I will post pictures for sure. Come on sept 19th, can't get here fast enough!

its game time buddy!!! if you can shoot that bow as good as you used to shoot the 3 pionters in college,,,,, it should be a gimmie. Good luck man!!!

Hey B thanks, Ya changed a few thing around on bow earlier this summer and it is now driving tacks! I am ready for sure to chase bigger bulls than we are used too. I will try n score early in the game but if it take till the fourth quarter so be it. I ready to go the distance and drop a few bombs on them. Hopefully I can drive the lane and score close but if need be I will shoot from deep too. Bow is ready! It should be easier to hit a big ol bull from 60yrds then to hit a three with a 6"9' guy trying to block my shot! Will keep you posted and we will hut together soon! Thanks again n talk w ya soon!

Highmountain, check your PM.

Anxiously awaiting a story here. Hope you found a biggun'.

I'm already dreaming of returning to NM

Bake

Check your PMs!

47d81ada2754674f.jpg

Very nice bull! I also have it on good authority that HunterHarry Jr. scored on a really nice bull too...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom