Unit 17 mule deer youth hunt.

JTJ81

This is my first post ever on monster muleys, I've seen how you guys have helped so many hunters on this site. So I thought I would ask for a little advice. My 11 year old boy drew his first ever deer tag, we are planning on going for the opener during thanksgiving and getting there a couple days early to scout. I've looked over maps and really don't know weather to go on the east or west side of the San Mateo mountains. I'm not looking for my boy to kill a monster, just looking to put him on his first buck of any size.

Thanks for any info. Jason

Jason 17 youth should be a great hunt. We have always had great success hunting either side of the San Mateos. There are probably more deer on the East Side, but bigger bucks on the West. Either way you should see lots of deer, and definately a shooter for your little guy. PM me if want some better info. Best of luck.

Jason, I too will be heading up to unit 17 for my sons youth hunt aswell. Although, I have not hunting unit 17 I have been doing alot of research on the unit and talked to the wildlife biologist and several forsest rangers. The wildlife biologist suggested the southern part of the unit is where most of the deer have been located. The game and fish did an airborne study of the area, and counted 60 deer per hour. Down from 100 per hour from last year and the year before. I will be heading for a scout next weekend. Will be happy to relay any information after next weekend.

Good luck, birddog301

Hey Jason,
I did go and scout unit 17 this weekend. I didnt see but one buck. But this buck is very big, and hoping he will be in that same area next week. Definatley, going after that guy. Anyhow, I was on the west side of the mateos. I did happen to run into the game warden in the area, and he said there is deer but spotty. I did see lots of sign that the deer are there. One problem I ran into is the there were some forest roads that have locked gates from the property owners that have forest roads going thru their property. The Game Warden told me they had the right to have them locked because they have no agreement with the state. The area still has plenty of forest roads with good access. The second rifle hunt was going on at this time and only one camp in the area. The area was not pressured with deer hunters. I like that. I hope some of this info helps

good luck to you and your son

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom