Unit 17 youth deer hunt help

wallhanger

Hello everybody. My son drew the Youth hunt for unit 17 (his birthday present this year), and we're taking the whole family out for the hunt. The hunt spans Thanksgiving weekend, and the first two weekends in december. Wondering if anyone has any knowledge of where the deer will be that late in the year. We'll be camping, and from what I've been finding in my initial research, I'll be looking at the San Mateos and Magdalena mountains. Most likely in the foothills, but if anyone has any specific roads or canyons their willing to recommend, it would be greatly appreciated.

We'll be truck camping, and my youngest two (5 and 7 years) will be along. Even if you don't want to divulge your favorite big buck hideout, camping areas and general regions of the unit are appreciated.

Thanks, and good luck to everybody.

WH

Shipman canyon was good info, and the springtime campground would be a great camping spot. Lots of deer here as well, get off the roads, and hike just a little, glass early and long, and you should be in good shape. Will be lots of guys cruising on quads and in trucks, they will love looking at your deer if you get out and hunt em up. Good luck.

Really appreciate the help. We're not Quad people, so we'll get out after 'em a little. The only bad part is that my son now outhikes me, but I'll still be doing the bulk of the packing ;-)

WH

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom