Unit 20 Archery Deer

elkfanatic

Anyone know anything about this unit for deer? I saw a few deer last year on an October off range oryx hunt but I don't really know where to hunt. And does anybody know about whether the small mountain range north of the Butte is public or not? Any info will be greatly appreciated!

Hunting the same unit FAMD Rifle 2. Not sure about the private/public issue on the Caballos and tell you the truth its a crazy place- been a few times to scout and I'm just not see'n it... I think pressure (from overhunting and also neighboring units next to 20) combined with weather/temp changes b/w now and then are going to be big factors. Its hot as hell down there now and I've seen some sign but ZERO animals- hoping that changes come Fall. Definitely interested to see if anyone has got any information on Unit 20!

Does any one have any info on this unit? I have a plan a I'm just looking for a plan b area as i have never hunted this area.

east of the butte is mostly private, it's the Pedro Armendaris Grant which i believe is owned by Ted Turner...there is a small sliver of blm on the east bank...most of the west bank is blm and some state...if i had the tag i would be hunting the caballos and most likely the east bank of caballo reservoir...get them as they are coming up from drinking is what i am thinking unless you know of some tanks in the mountains...are also some hills east of engle and near upham...good luck...

I have actally seen quite a few out in the flats between the Caballos and the base, but it is hit and miss. I would try more to the north end of the unit. Have seen deer quite a few times there.

Anymore info would be greatly appreciated! I'm headed out to scout I think October 10-11 near engle. Hoping I can find a few groups of does to focus on for January.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom