Unit 20 Deer

W

WIducks_deer

Great Site You Guys/Gals have here. I have been surfing through the archives for a while and decided to register and become a member. I am trying to plan a mule deer trip for this fall. The group is looking at unit 20 and 38 for a rifle hunt. I have a few questions about the units which I am hoping some people can answers.

First off, how fast do these tags sell out. What type of hunting pressure can we expect to encounter in these units during the 10/15 rifle season? Are there any decent deer numbers in these units? What type of weather is normal during this season? What would be an average buck in these areas? In unit 20 I was looking at the ironclad area, is it any good?

I realize that good hunting spots are hard to come by. If anyone could help me out with general information about the units I would be extremely grateful. Here in Wisconsin we duck and deer hunt. (Specifically Diver Ducks) I would be willing to trade Wisconsin information for more specific info about either unit.

Thank You for taking the time to read my post.

Steve

Steve,

Many of your questions can be answered by going to the Colorado website. The have a guide for each specific area, required points for a tag and if they had leftover tags. Colorado is on a draw point system that allows the person with the most points to get the tag, no random draws. With that being said there are several good areas that can be drawn with few or no points.

Just curious, how did you come up with units 20 and 38?

Rich

I have looked at the list of leftover tags. As far as I can tell unit 20 and 38 have leftover rifle tags. My group would like to do a DIY hunt. We are looking at 20 and 38 because there is public land. We would consider trespass fees, but want a DIY hunt.

Steve

The public parts of unit 20 are generally a tough hunt for deer. There are few deer when compared to areas on the west slope, the terrain is mostly very rugged, and there is a lot of timber. In most areas of unit 20 that are publically accessible, you could walk all day long without seeing a deer. That said, there is enough public land for you to hunt on and the chance of getting into some deer exists. If all you want is a last minute DIY hunt, then the unit could work for you. I don't know a darn thing about unit 38.

pm me for a good tip on the unit . Its a tresspass fee deal on private that would work to get on some deer . I would go 4 th season on this private

Probably leftover tags in better units than 20.
I hunted 12, 13, 23, 24 a few years ago and you have a huge amount of country as well as option to go wilderness. Also elevation from 6 to 10,000. Lots of hunters but you will probably get that anywhere there are leftovers!
Somebody here from CO can give you more specifics on leftover tags.
Ed

>Probably leftover tags in better units
>than 20.
>I hunted 12, 13, 23, 24
>a few years ago and
>you have a huge amount
>of country as well as
>option to go wilderness. Also
>elevation from 6 to 10,000.
>Lots of hunters but you
>will probably get that anywhere
>there are leftovers!

There are no leftovers in 12, 13, etc....

I would NOT recommend 20 for Public deer, without knowing the area (same goes for elk). Unless you live here and are able to spend some time with maps and plat books, on top of scouting. It is a waste of money. The areas you find in your Delorme that are public EVERYONE else knows of also.
On top of that the deer are just slowly coming back.We don't have deer numbers like we used too or that of other areas of the state. The DOW tried to whipe out CWD with large amount of tags(which didn't work). I have seen more deer in the last year then I have in the last ten HOWEVER they are not huntable numbers yet. GOOD LUCK

I appreciate everyones responce. My group has decided to not hunt this unit after taking a closer look at it. We agreed with the last poster and decided it would most likely be a waste of money. Good luck to everyone and be safe.

Try unit 15 or 18. If there are any leftovers I can point you in a good direction.I have hunted both a few times.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom