Unit 201 buck or bull?

J

JAC

Hi all--Was wondering if anyone has come back from unit 201 yet..How does it look up there..I have 3rd season rifle buck..am wanting to chat with any visitors up there..one question is there any cell service of any kind..?I have Verizon..or is there a phone by the refuge place up there?I think its called dinosaur..Pm is cool or call me..thanks JC

I went blue grouse hunting up there a couple weeks ago. There is cell service on the Wiggins unit SWA road. Can't miss it.

I am no good on hunting advice up there. Seen a lot of elk, a few deer with nothing big. Didn't see any blue grouse either but sure loved the country.

Good luck on your hunt.

Todd

thnks for response..I think it is important for me to know about cell service..I have daughter about to have twins,should be a little bit after I finish hunt but you never know..anybody else been up to 201 lately with a little mountain news?? JAC

Spent sept 24-27 up there scouting for a future elk tag, saw a lot of elk, and a few deer, some smaller 4 points, and a couple of bucky bucks 2 points. Sould be a good hunt, limited draw, good access, roads and open country, bring your good optics and hope for a little snow, GOOD LUCK

Plan on some rough weather as an early winter will happen this year. Chains would be near the top of my list. I have a close friend who retired last Friday and he opted to go camping for the next while up in unit 201. Not even hunting but looking and learning as he should have a rifle bull tag in his pocket next year.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway."

I have been to unit 201 a few times in past years. My son and I have 3rd season cow tags this year in 201, so we will be there this year as well. Absolutely love the unit! I don't think I have ever gotten cell phone reception there. A buddy of mine took a nice buck in 3rd season a few years ago from 201. He harvested him in Big Joe Basin. You will see plenty of bucks. In the times that I have been there during 3rd season, they are in the middle of the rut and are completely oblivious to hunters for the most part. The widest buck I have ever seen in the field was chasing does on a small hill between Middle Mountain and Diamond Peek (I had a cow tag then as well). It won't be a matter of finding a buck, but finding a good one that is worth the wait! Good luck and we just might run into you while there.

No one ever seems to post up their U201 or U2 buck, but we always see the great bulls that come out of there. Why is this? Are the bucks just not that great? I can't imagine people care to keep it a secret. The unit already takes double digit PP's for a later season hunt. It's basically once in a liftetime...

The quotas are super low. Of the guys who hunt there, only a fraction of them even use this site, and only a fraction of those wish to post their hunting pictures.

>The quotas are super low.
>Of the guys who hunt
>there, only a fraction of
>them even use this site,
>and only a fraction of
>those wish to post their
>hunting pictures.

Makes sense.

Me again--anybody been up to 201 lately with the weather ?how does it look up there?

JAC,

We just returned from the rifle bull elk season there and as tailchasers stated it is wet, access is a little difficult at times and places.
There are a few distinct spots where there is cell service, i have verizon as well.
We have a place in camp that we call the phone booth that works well, it is at the first Cold springs entrance just below the gravel pit, stop by anytime.
There is also several spots along the top of Cold Springs mountain that you can get reception on the main road.
The east end of middle mountain has reception as well as so does the top of diamond.
Not much service down low along the highway at all or at the bottom of the mountains on either side.
The intersection at 10n and cnty rd 72 has reception.

If you have a booster it will help you tremendously, especially if you need to make a call.
Text messages work when you cant get enough bars for a call.

If you need any help please let us know,
Chris

Thanks Chris for Verizon info--I do have a booster that I will take..My family is concerned for my safety(I guess I should be also)..Look forward to seeing you all up there...JAC

we had another great year with some nice bulls harvested. the snow was a bit challenging and really shut off the rut, smaller bulls had the cows and the big bulls went into hiding and winter mode and got hard to find.
The good news is there should be some good size bulls for next year.
It is evident that the elk populations are quite a bit lower than in years past, several groups of cows are gone and calf survival rates appear to be below 30%. Some groups had 50% calf crop and others less than 5%. It is my opinion that we have seen the population declines to a low point that excessive hunting - Colorado, Utah, and Wyoming, predation,weather, public pressure and disturbance, poaching, wounding loss, staggered conception and estrous cycles, dispersion, disease,politics,competition with livestock, etc... will compromise the quality and experience that we have been enjoying and expecting from the past.
CPW manages for opportunity, it is up to sportsmen and women to be vocal enough to have our voices heard to keep these units to a higher quality and even expand several more areas throughout the state to provide better quality opportunities.

Chris, thanks for the update. I sure hope I can draw one of those units before they are destroyed!
Elkhuntr

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom