Unit 21 3rd season

silverstem

Was just wondering if anyone has been seeing any in elk in unit 21? I have a cow and a bull tag for third season.I hunted unit 21 last year for deer and the elk hunting seems to be tough.We only saw 2 elk in seven days...deer was excellent, p.m. if you want too...thanks

I was up on the Atchee Ridge section for the 1st hunt. It was tough hunting... elk if you weren't afraid of hiking your azz off to get to them. We got 2 or 3 tags filled, one cow and one bull.

They opened up that side and in to Utah to full cattle grazing this year and it seems to have pushed the elk off a bit.

sled_guy

Hopefully the recent weather will help. I logged 27 miles in 3 and 1/2 of hunting. There was sign everywere I went and where I usually see elk. This year however, it was all a week old at best. First year in 6 years of hunting 21 I haven't at least seen an elk.

Good luck,

Todd

I helped a friend there last year also during the 3rd deer season for a week. we only saw one elk and this bull only had one 5 pt. antler on one side! we did see lots of wild horses that the DOW felt were too many in number and that were over grazing the unit.

Them wild horses are a pain. I see them as an invasive species. We have had several people talk to the BLM and DOW about allowing a hunting season. I am told there meat is rather tasty too.

"Courage is being scared to death but saddling
up anyway."

just got back from there hunting 1st elk 2nd deer. 19 days totol. never saw an elk. saw some fresh tracks all moving toward the east. the elk were coming in from utah.using what few water holes were left.i know of one small bull killed in hells hole. they estamate over 2500 head of horses. these are feral horses.i saw well over 300 head.more than half of the major water holes are dryied up. the ranchers will not fix any of there holes because of the horses keeping away there cattle. the holes have large cracks in them, preventing the water runoff from filling them up.the horses are also keeping away the wildlife.this is from the fish and game.i would hunt south of oil can towards douglas pass. try east douglas creek, and brushy point.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom