Unit 21 action & story..

C

CAnAZbwhnter

DAY #1: Finally got home from being out of town for the holidays and was able to make it out all day on Sunday. Prior to Sunday I had made it up a couple times but I had no luck what so ever, with the exception of glassing up a couple does. I was getting down on my spot but knew I couldnt throw in the towel. So Sunday I decided I would hike in to my favorite area. This spot includes a nice bowl that can not be seen from the dirt road and it leads back to an even larger basin. Its great habitat for the deer as it provides plenty food and good security. Last year in this very spot I hunted a herd of 12 deer that had a nice sized 4x4 running the group.
So Sunday morning I decide to get up in there before the sun came up. Once I had glassed enough and was confident nothing was in the bowl or down in the creek bed I decided to slowly make my way through the bowl checking for sign, on my way to the large basin. I ended up finding a few fresh droppings and tracks leading back to the basin. My immediate thought was YES I know where you are and its on now! I side-hilled out of the bowl and slowly worked back in to the basin about 50 yards. As soon as I started glassing I immediately locate a herd. I could not believe my eyes! It seemed like there were deer all over that hill but actually there ended up being 15 of em. The first buck I glassed up was a little forky..then I glassed up a small 4x3. I thought there is no way this guy is running the show, he is to small.
Then finally I found the big boy! This buck was solid...the antler width was honestly wider than any other buck I have ever glassed up. They shot out a few inches past his ears on each side and instead of rounding up like a U, they were shaped more like a Y. He is an awesome 4x4 with great splits (he has got to be close to 30" wide). One side is perfect but 2 points on the other are broken off, but that didnt bother me any. Id still be very fortunate to harvest him. I watched the herd all day long from 7:30 to sun down.
After learning from my mistakes last year, I decided my best way to get in close on that many deer is to try and determine what direction and area they would feed in to towards the evening. It was tuff to make a move because a couple of the does were bedded down up high while the rest of the group was down near the creek bed. But even then, the group basically took turns feeding...half fed and half slept and vice versa.

So finally after the 2 does dropped down off the mountain side, I made my move. I slipped in within 150 yards as they slowly fed towards me. It was awesome, they had no idea I was in there with them. The herd eventually had me surrounded all except for my backside. The lil forky and 4x3 were only about 50 yards up the hill from me and all the does were close behind. I sat behind a small 3ft bush trying not to move an inch as I tried to locate the beast. I did not want one of these deer to pick me off before I atleast got a shot at the big boy. Finally he was the last one to make it out of the draw and feed his way towards me. Being surrounded by that many eyes, ears, and noses I knew this was my stand and there was no chance for me to stalk closer. By the direction he was going, the closest shot I would have at him was around 70 yards...longer than I would prefer but Im confident out to 80. So finally when he came in to a shooting lane I ranged him at 67 yards. Just as I pulled back from my knees a couple of the deer sounded off the alarm call and it sent them running back a few yards. He stopped and gave me a broadside shot. I ended up connecting with what I thought was his shoulder blade. They stopped around 150 yards away to look back down the hill at me as if to say what the hell was that! I saw my arrow sticking out and it looked like it had only penetrated a couple inches tops. The weird thing was is that I could not see my fletchings.
Daylight was quickly running out and I still had to retrieve my backpack before night fall. I made the decision to return the next day (New Year's Eve) as soon I got off work. I was worried about getting stuck out there all night and simply did not have much light to track. The entire walk back to my truck I was cursing myself at taking that long of a shot, especially at such a nice buck!

DAY #2: I made it back out the next afternoon with only an hour of sunlight left to hopefully recover him. I would have had the entire afternoon but my damn car battery went out..what luck!
I immediately got on the blood trail and eventually found the arrow. To my amazement the shot was a complete pass through and the blood trail was good. Once again I ran out of daylight and had to go back yesterday to hopefully finish the deal. I was very frustrated because after finding the sign I had a good feeling he was dead. But I was not sure if the meat would still be good after a day or 2?? I brought my camera on DAY 2 and have pictures for you guys.

DAY #3: Well I got back out there yesterday to finish the deal and never freaking found him! I found a couple huge blood stains soaked in to the ground under a tree. There were also a few bloody piles of crap along with quite a bit of hair. The ground was also beat up real bad all around this. At that point I began looking for bones and antlers....I never found him! Oh man I can not explain the feeling this leaves you...it sucks!
I have attached a couple pictures of the aftermath for you guys and want to get some of your thoughts. The arrow and all of the sign were only a couple hundred yards from where I shot him.
Guys sorry for the long story but I wanted to create a good picture for you and hopefully get some advice back from you guys.

Can you guys give me some feedback:
*How long before the meat is spoiled?
*How long before predators will typically find a kill??
*Lets say I do find him but I am only able to retrieve the antlers, do I still have to tag it?? I am absolutely fine with having to use my tag...after all I did shoot him and accept responsibility. I am only asking this because I have never been faced with a situation where I think the deer may have been torn apart and eaten.

THE PICTURES ARE FROM THE 2ND DAY

...How do I post these pictures???

well it sounnds to me like a gut shot, was there any tracks that you can follow if you can see his tracks on the ground follow them and start reading his direction and look ahead to see a likely resting spot. or go in there at night and listen for the dogs they can help you locate him as far as tagging the buck i think it would only be far to do so if you can find him. i had a buck that a freind hit last jan 7 days and 3 and half miles later we found him, the freind tag the horns and called it a year.

Go back and keep looking. It sounds like he'll be there somewhere. And when you do find him, tag him. If he is dead the meat has long been spoiled. I wouldn't count on salvaging the meat. If he is still alive, keep in mind that you will need to go back with a 2008 tag to finish him off.

It's Bush's fault!!!

VERY UNFORTUNATE BUT WE ALL NO WHEN YOU PLAY THIS GAME LONG ENOUGH ITS GOING TO HAPPEN TO THE BEST OF US.I WOULD DEFINETLY GO BACK AND LOOK FOR BUZZARDS SWIRLING OR COYOTE ACTIVETY.HOPE YOU FIND HIM.

I sent them over to you. Thanks for the help. Sorry I only have pics from the 2nd day. I will be back up there this weekend though to hopefully get the antlers.

Here you go, hopefully these aren't to big:

firstblood1.jpg

goodsign1.jpg

bloodyfletching1.jpg

thanks for the help on posting these pictures. I wish I would have taken a couple yesterday of the big blood puddles I found soaked in. Hopefully I have some more pictures up by Sunday for you guys...Im spending all day out there!
Is it hard to say how long or far they will travel on a pass through shot??

sorry to hear this. always makes us bowhunters cringe just a little.even though i will happen to some of us sooner or later. my bowhunting theory is this:(its not how far can i...its how close can i....)if you have a dog or a buddy has a dog that can hike in with you it will help your odds a bunch .dogs love the smell of blood and guts(and most nasty smelling things) even if they are just a pet...hope you find him
averagejoe

I know excactly how you feel. last January I stuck a deep forked 4x4 that was a solid 32" wide desert buck. I had been watching and hunting this buck for a good 3 months.

I glassed him up on a side of a ridge with a few does so I hauled ass threw the first part of the wash and snuck the last 400 yards up the wash to get in range of him. I got with in 60 yards of him and was unable to get closer because they were side hilling the ridge and I had no real cover to help me . So I put my 60 yard pin on him and let her fly. Arrow went a little to far back and penetrated about half way in. They all took off up the ridge. So I left my bow from were I shot from and went back for my pack and wife. gave him enough time and started tracking him. We followed blood from 2pm to dark. At dark i told her we had better head back to the truck and try again when it gets light. Well that night it rained and washed all blood and track away. I spent 5 days looking for that buck and never found him...

I hope your able to find your buck this weekend and if you need a hand let me know and i will be willing to give you a hand looking for him.

In looking at the pictures, there is plenty of blood, he shouldnt have gone far. Keep looking around that area with last sign of blood. I will be in the northern end of 21 on saturday, let me know if you were in that area, and I may be able to help a little. Send me a pm.

Longshooter and Brento: Thanks alot for the offer to help out, thats very cool! I was planning on waiting until Sunday to go up but with possible rains coming I better get up there ASAP. Even if rain washes the blood away Im pretty confident he is still in that same basin dead somewhere. Hopefully some ravens or coyotes make my job easier.
I appreciate all the feedback from everyone...MM's and its members kick ass

hey,
what happened here?find the buck?quite looking?did you come back from looking?like to know what happened???
averagejoe

I've lost 2 elk to bad shots, one too far and one the wrong point of aim. (shoulder blade) BUT and this may not be a popular opinion but you worked before looking for your buck???????

Never! Never! Never!

I'd call my boss and tell him whats up, Call in sick or just go AWOL. Man, am I messed up???

I always hunt chukar the first snow, ducks when wind blows, getting off to find a wounded mammal is a no-brainer.

calelkslyer,
could not agree more!!!once you fire a bullet or arrow you have changed the tide for the animal you chose to harvest and you own it to them to do everything in your power to recover them. it makes me cringe to hear "flung" and "stuck" i say if you don't value the animal more than that play golf!don't hunt.hunting doesn't need hunters(killers) like that. i can assure you if it was one of our family members or even one of our pets that was hurt their would be no quiting? but some guys with wild animals its like oh well big whop.as bowhunters we should pride on man, i was so close it was amasing! not as close as it could get was 80 yards(cause i am a lousy hunter) so i flung one and stuck em.........sick
my 5 cents
averagejoe

Hey averagejoe, I do agree with what you have to say because we do as hunters owe it the animal to give our best to try and recover it after shooting it...giving up after a day or 2 or after hours of searching really is not an option...it makes me sick when I hear stories of a buck getting arrowed and a hunter abandoning efforts after just a short time. But if you are putting me in that category then you are way off bigtime buddy and have no clue about the effort I have put forth and time in recovering this deer. But in the case you are not making reference to me, then no worries, lets disregard this!
Bowhunting is not something I take lightly and I treat the sport with much much respect. Its not just a sport or something to do on a Saturday or Sunday. All the free time I have is dedicated to it. And for those of us with a wife and kids at home know how tuff it is to actually get the time away from home to hunt! And me not calling in sick until I found him, well thats just plain ignorant. I have a family to support but with that said, every opportunity I have to make it up their and locate that buck should be and is taken.
We all can think what we want but its evident to me if you take me as a one of those guys who cares less about hunting or shooting an animal and simply leaving it without any struggles then you have no clue who I am nor the time spent out there these past 13 days. Again if you are putting me in that category then I will sit here and happily and truthfully call you IGNORANT!
Ive been making it up there every possible minute my life has allowed. Taking my pack and gear to work with me, leaving early to get up there and continue the search...oh yeah lets no forget about the arguments with the wife as well because Im spending so much damn time up there, leaving her stuck with the baby!
Flinging arrows year round in my back yard and making it up to scout when time allows is really what any dedicated hunter should be doing. And even when thats not going on, Im doing something to prepare for the next season, so if I come off a little offended, thats because I am. I just hate to hear or see people out there make such quick judgements when they dont have a clue about the person or the entire situation. Its to bad we are all so judgemental, including myself cause I know I am at times as well.
There are many reasons I was still looking for him up until yesterday but#1 is out of dedication to the sport I love and the animal, but #2 because I was still confident I would atleast retrieve those antlers, knowing even after days of no luck that I still would be successful.
My dad even drove out from California on Friday just to help me search all day yesterday. We knew the meat was toast ofcourse, but the job still was not finished and my dad was willing to offer an extra set of eyes and hike in with me to hopefully put an ending to this story. He knows how I feel about bowhunting and understands how badly I wanted to recover this animal.
So with that said we worked our bootys off and ended up finding his remains. It was obvious he was tore up pretty bad from coyotes. We were pretty shocked to even find bear sign all over the kill. I am going to post some pictures for you fellas to show what we found. If I have any problems posting maybe I can email the pics to one of you to helpout with the pictures. We ended up finding the hindquarters, rib cage, part of the spine, one front shoulder and one front leg....missing was another leg, neck, skull and antlers. We were at a lost with where else to search. I was real happy to find him but its still pretty dissapointing.

calslayer,
wow hit right on the head!!when you shoot an arrow or a bullet at an animal you have chosen to change the animals life course.so if you do not kill that intended animal you OWE it whatever means it takes to find or look till you have exhausted all your possible ways to recover that animal.work,dark,rain whatever no excuse.if it was your family member or even your dog hurt you would look for them without sleep food whatever.i am getting tired of lazy,no skills bow hunters taking extreme range shots!rifle hunt if thats your game.(and some of them are shooting way too far for thier skill level)not in bowhunting.bowhunters that say "stuck" or "flung" an arrow have no business bowhunting!get up close and personel...1 shot one kill should be the attitude.i know that strange shots bad penetration ect will sometimes happen but, if a bowhunter has the one shot one kill mentality it will most times change the out come."flinging" an arrow at a range most archers can't even think of putting in the vitals ...USE YOUR HEAD AND DON'T TAKE THE SHOT!!the animals we hunt deserve that!!!!
averagejoe
my...five cents.

ca,
sorry if i sounded like i was calling you out directly.i wasn't i just feel that most shots over 50 yards should not be taken at game animals.there are guys myself included that can drill em in the back yard at 80 but i will never take a shot over 50 it's just not worth it.(antlers don't tenderize that well)like i said most cases the shots from those distnaces in the field do not find their mark or are off their mark.we jus owe it to the animals we hunt.trust me i know its way hard to sit back and watch the target animal drift out of effective range myself,i will look for another stalk angle if there isnot one and you don,t booger the critter come back and try it again for a higher percentage shot.too much priority any more is the kill when just being that close to wild animals should make us smile for weeks.
as for the "stuck" and "flung" comment someone posted to you using those terms.i am glad you found him that would have eaten on you forever.how far did he go?did he got straight away or circle?what broadhead did you shoot?
hopefully that cleared up where i was coming from
averagejoe

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-08 AT 08:03PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-08 AT 08:00?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-08 AT 07:54?PM (MST)

WOW! Theres ignorance for you at its finest..thanks for showing it to us Joe. Would you like a blue ribbon or perhaps a brownie for your rantless talk and so called best ever hunter skills. Great to see that you know how it all went down before and after..as if you were there. Now thats amazing Joe! Please continue to preach to us all about hunting and one shot one kill, because after all Joe you invented "one shot one kill" and know one can hunt as good as you Joe. Thanks for proving your complete ignorance,
"Lazy no skill bowhunting"...LOL, sounds like you have some personal problems no one can help with, sorry to hear about that buddy. You couldnt keep up with me for even half a day out in field. Maybe some day you can pull your head out and listen twice as much as you willingly speak!
"If it were a family member or even your dog hurt you would look for them without food, sleep, whatever"..I understand your point and its evident you have no clue the effort I have put forth. People have LIVES,JOBS,FAMILIES,that also require time. This deer is not family and I think you are being a bit ridiculous.
But hey you will go out there in dark, rain, sleet, & snow...again I award you the blue ribbon>>>> of IGNORANCE.
Its to bad we have to resort to this.
Listen, there is no doubt in my mind you are a solid hunter..I just dont appreciate someone telling me the do's and dont's when I continually work my ass of for a solid opportunity for a mature mule deer. Man I really cant explain the effort I have put forth but some how I have a feeling you understand what kind of effort and time I am talking about. You and I both know hunting mule deer is one of the greatest challenges we are fortunate enough to enjoy.
Sorry to offend you in anyway Im just obviously a little pissed at your remarks is all

ca,
sorry if i sounded like i was calling you out directly.i wasn't i just feel that most shots over 50 yards should not be taken at game animals.there are guys myself included that can drill em in the back yard at 80 but i will never take a shot over 50 it's just not worth it.(antlers don't tenderize that well)like i said most cases the shots from those distnaces in the field do not find their mark or are off their mark.we jus owe it to the animals we hunt.trust me i know its way hard to sit back and watch the target animal drift out of effective range myself,i will look for another stalk angle if there isnot one and you don,t booger the critter come back and try it again for a higher percentage shot.too much priority any more is the kill when just being that close to wild animals should make us smile for weeks.
as for the "stuck" and "flung" comment someone posted to you using those terms.i am glad you found him that would have eaten on you forever.how far did he go?did he got straight away or circle?what broadhead did you shoot?
hopefully that cleared up where i was coming from
averagejoe

I hear you and I know exactly what you mean! All I can say is that I really do think you are right about the 50 or so yardage range. Everything in your last post is right on and the shot I took was longer than I think we should be shooting from.
Its easy to hunt an animal all day or even minutes for that matter and get caught up in the moment. He wasnt coming closer than 70 but i was confident on the shot...would I recommend it or would I do it again, probably not man.
*As for my personal comments towards you, those were out of anger and I didnt mean that #####....thats my bad.

As for the buck we actually found him less than a few hundred yards away from the shot. I couldnt believe it. Prior to this weekend I had performed grid action in that basin back n forth and cant belive I didnt find him. After the first few days of having no luck with the tracking, I was shocked to find him that close.

Update: Unit 21 action & story..

LAST EDITED ON Jan-13-08 AT 08:35PM (MST)[p]Here are the remains we found yesterday. Its closure but not really if that makes sense. We ended up finding him only a few hundred yards from where the original shot took place. My dad came out from Cali for the weekend to help out. It was awesome having him. He was as determined as I was to find him. We ended up locating the rib cage, spine, hind quarters, one front leg and shoulder. Missing is the neck, skull & antlers, and one front leg.
I dont know what to think. I know there have been no other hunters in there. The only boot tracks in there are mine. I think AverageJoe recommended getting out there at dark and listening for the dogs....you were right on about that. It was obvious the coyotes ended up getting him. I want nothing more than to get those antlers but Im at a freakin loss where to go with it now.

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Uc=qhe0...de=fromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

http://www.kodakgallery.com/Uc=qhe0...de=fromshare&Ux=0&mode=fromshare&conn_speed=1

no worries,
i still want to know if he went straight away or did he circle and what broadhead did you use.my main thing is getting close its not only way cool but, you almost always have great shots and 90% of the times complete pass throughs.the reason i ask the above questions is not all arrow hits are the same and if i can learn something incase i am ever up agaist a simular situation you can pull from that info to help up the odds of finding the animal
averagejoe

i give you credit in your search last year when a freind had the same thing happen it took me 7 days to find it and it was all dismantaled i found one leg a quarter mile north of it the head and neck were an 1/8 of a mile to the west. unless someone else found it first it wont be to far off coyote ran with it to eat by himself, again atleast you can sleep now that you found him how far did he make it.

RE: Update: Unit 21 action & story..

WOW!!!!

Iam not one to post, Iam more on this site to fill the void between hunts. I really couldnt help myself here, something has to be said.

First off CanAzhunter I wouldnt waist my time with someone that would assume that he knows it all about hunting and the particular hunt that took place. Each and every hunt that we take is so unique that it is more like a finger print of our hunting life, so everyone think twice before you try to judge or classify a fellow hunter.

Second, If you are on someones forum about looking for help finding a downed animal, that is all you should be posting on THERE forum. For someone to admit failure and look to his fellow hunters for help to continue the search for his downed animal, to me that is honerable. For what I have read he is putting forth the effort in finding this animal and should only be givin advice on doing that and that only. If you have a problem with the way SOME bowhunters hunt make up your OWN forum!

CanAzhunter Ive got to give you props on the hard work and your class to keep it cool on monster muleys site, there nothing worse then a charcter assination when all you are tring to do is look for a little help. Good luck on finding the rest of your deer.

Joe I do agree with some points that you are making but try and remeber what this site is all about. Sharing and helping our FELLOW hunters. Next time make your own forum and dont waist the energy and time of a hunter that is looking for help. All you accomplished is taking the focus off of what really matters(FINDING THE DOWNED ANIMAL).

shawshank,
i am not sure if you realize this or not but dude,that deer is bear and song dog scat along time ago!horns = blah,blah,blah its about the meat and that is long gone.i am stoked that ca found some parts of his deer but the point to my posts was DON'T TAKE SHOTS THAT BEYOND YOUR EFFECTIVE RANGE!!! i think ca understands what i was and am trying to get across the fact that he is real enough to admit he "got caught up in the moment" is huge. if we can learn as bowhunters not to shoot beyond our skill level and work more on our ambushes and stalking there WILL BE less wounded animals period!i am not professing anything other than ethics!you bet i work way hard and i pride myself on shooting them close and shooting them once.if that is wrong then i guess i am wrong???
averagejoe

I think with the technology of the compound bow and the arrows broadheads etc that a good broadside shot at 70 or 80 yards is a good shot for someone who shoots on a regular basis throughout the year and practices at that range. If you have a pin sighted in at 70 yards and feel confident I would shoot. With bows swooting over 300 fps we can be acurate at these ranges. Again I dont recommend shooting these distances if your are a closet hunter and dont shoot throughout the year.

I can't see the pics either. I'd like to see what you've recovered so far. I give you credit for going back out and searching...most guys would have given up and got a new '08 tag.
Continued Luck in your search.

Scott G.

Update: Unit 21 action & story..

LAST EDITED ON Jan-14-08 AT 12:41PM (MST)[p]Here are a few of the pictures we took. Hope I post em right this time:

Sign.jpg

Frontleg.jpg

ribcage.jpg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom