Unit 21 Deer Hunt

D

Deuce77

I am stationed in Albuquerque and drew a deer tag for the first week of rifle season from 02-06 November in Unit 21. I researched online and conducted a short duration recon of the area in August. Unfortunately the weather and my work schedule did not cooperate so I was unsuccessful in locating many deer or identifying solid start points and haven't been able to get back down for another recon. Experience and ground truth are best so I figured I'd reach out to those who have hunted the unit to seek tips and guidance in order to enjoy a challenging and successful hunt. This will be a solo DIY hunt and any information would be greatly appreciated. Thank you and good luck to everyone this season!

Deuce

Duece77 - Unit 21 is a mixed bag of private and public land. North of Winston is a nice area. Follow 52 into Winston turn right on 52 (stop sign) and follow north to 59. Turn left on 59 to Poverty Creek area. This is a nice flowing hill, mountain area with some decent bucks here and there. You need to glass a lot of area there.

If you turn left at the stop sign in Winston and then turn left on 157 that will take you down to the "kitty litter" mines. Follow 157 all the way down towards Hermosa and there is eventually hunting (and a lot of walking) on both sides of the road. Steep mountain terrain. Some nice bucks in there too.

A very nice but hard area to hunt is Hagen's Peak which is past Winston and west of Chloride.

A closer ride is before you get to Winston there is the Cuchillo Mountain Range. I think at mile marker 24 (just before the switchbacks) on highway 52 there is an old miners trail that runs up this steep and deep canyon. Do not attempt to take your truck up that road. You can ride and ATV up there. That road will take you all the way to the top of the mountain. You can hunt those mountain tops and that canyons pretty well. Once again a lot of glassing.

I hope this helps and thank you for your service.

Thank you gentlemen for your assistance, it is greatly appreciated. Only a few more days till the season starts and I'm looking forward to putting on some miles and long days in the woodline! This will be my first hunt in over 20 years and can't wait to get started. Good luck to everyone this season and I'll let you know how the hunt goes. Thanks again!

Deuce

How did the hunt go? Hopefully you were able to get on something... I have Unit 21 in January so any intel you are willing to offer up, would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom