Unit 21 Deer scouting

LuckyHntr

Went up last weekend and spotted 25 bucks in one morning. The biggest buck was about 27 inch wide four point with good mass, had a big buck body but shallow rear forks. The buck he was with had good forks.

I think trophy hunters will be dissappointed. The bucks aren't what a hunter who is spending mucho preference points for will be excited about. They will drive around and see some 25 inch bucks but nothing special. It would be a great hunt for a kid, some bucks I know never get shot at.

The country looks like it is in good shape. Wish I had more time to spend!

My brother used to live in Rangely and we spent a lot of time in this unit. You can expect to see lots of bucks within range of the truck which makes it a popular unit (believe it or not). In our experience, you can expect to see lots of bucks with deep back forks but very, very shallow (crab craw) front forks. For this unit, you really need the 3rd season to bag a real trophy. You can take home a 24" 4x4 in the 2nd season pretty easily.

I have spent a little time in there also and the third season is really when u see the big boys.I was in there in the second season and seen some bucks mostly 24" four by four's i was also in there in the third season and seen several bucks 26" and better I also seen one that would go over 200" their there but hiding.

Do you guys have a 2nd season tag??? I drew 2nd season. I didnt have the points needed for the third.

Thanks for the update! Will be there for the archery hunt in a couple weeks. Was thinking about picking up and OTC elk tag too....
Any thoughts on the elk? Did you see many scouting.
Thanks

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

I think it will be a great year in 21 a friend of mine has been scouting it for one of our clients and he has seen some great deer. The 25 bucks you saw are not real represenative of what is in the unit. You will have to spend more than one morning looking to see what the unit has to offer before you say it doesn't have big deer.
JC
Colorado Hunting Consultants LLC
www.cohunthelp.com

Going up there in a couple weeks to do some scouting of my own, and have a pretty good idea of where I will be looking, but if anybody has any recommendations, I sure would be open to hear them.

Thanks,

Many of the bucks this time of the year will be right on top between GMU's 21, 30 and/or 31. They could easily move back and forth between the units during the archery hunt. I was there a couple weeks ago and counted around 70 bucks total between one evening and one morning. Found a couple shooters for sure. I will be hunting 3rd season in 30.

Lets see some pics of these great unit 21 bucks.

(that's the nicest thing I could say, Terry)

NICE BULL. I talked to a biologist last night and he said the same thing. I will ponder it for a couple days. I really want to focus on a nice buck but most likely will carry an either sex elk tag just in case.
Thanks for the tip.

Matt
"Opportunity is missed by most people
because its dressed in overalls
and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

I drew 21 third season this year and am expecting great things. From what I hear up there, the antler growth has been exceptional--patience,patience, will be the game i'm playing hoping to score on a 180 class buck...

jcmuleys,
There will be some good bucks there! The key is some. I have scouted the unit for the last 15/20 years now almost every year! We used to have access to some private property (just for a quick look before the outfitter got setup), and I can only image what it holds now.

The good thing about the draw is hunters can't always figure it out where and how to hunt, what the best places are to go.

I agree that 3rd is lot better than 2nd. Two years ago during 3rd season we drove into a spot hardly anyone goes (I will not say why, ha) but we drove within 40 yards of a 30 inch buck with tall antlers. His forks weren't good, but man high and wide and good mass. There were a couple other bucks that I would have been glad to take (I didn't have a tag). These deer had never been shot at.

I think my Mom will be drawing a 3rd season next year and I plan on help guiding her. If she can shoot a 100 yard shot she should be good to go!

hntnfsh67,
I am curious how do you hunt with a bow? Do you spot and stalk or ambush. I used a binoculars and 20x spotting scope to see some of the bucks, but sneaking up on them and being quiet might be a little tought with all the vegetation.

I know the oldtimers had a lot of stands, you can sometimes still see them. Also I know they used to hunt over water.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom