Unit 21 Deer

WapitiDave

My dad and I will be headed out this weekenfd to scout for the deer muzzleloader hunt. Are there any places to camp around Winston? Seems to be alot of private property around there. Hope to see some deer to give us an idea of where to hunt. Does anybody know of any ranchers that might accept a trespassers fee?

Thanks,WD

I also have a muzzle tag for unit 21. We've seen decent numbers of deer in the winston/chloride area on the forest but nothing big yet. There is some good camping spots on forest land. Your right there is a bunch of private property in the lower areas. We also scouted the hillsboro/kingston area and were very dissappointed with the lack of deer or much sign. Don't know of any ranchers that do trespass fees. Be careful because the few ranchers we ran into were not very friendly. Good Luck.

Cowhunter,

Thanks for the reply. I'm hoping on getting my dad unto something if possible. We'll be out this weekend checking it out. I've heard the hills before Winston have a few deer in them. On the map it looks like mostly private. I hope the ranches are plainly marked private. Thanks for the help and good luck to you also.

WD

Hey guys,

Just a reminder that there is not much public land at all in this unit. A general rule for 21b is that you should not cross any fence unless it is clearly marked on your map and where you are as state land. The number of elk licenses for 21b was cut back drastically last year due to a huge amount of tresspassing. We had some horrendous stories last year which culminated in me having a 350+ bull poached out from under me 2 miles in on our property. Our place is in the Central part of the unit and is patrolled (as are many of the ranches in this unit). There is an elk hunt this weekend so what little public land is available will be overrun with the 25 public land elk tag holders. Don't mean to be the bringer of negative news but this a tough public land unit in that there is very little public land and that it is crawling with big ranches charging top dollar for trophy hunts and guarding there land like no other. Btw, if you can find them and they don't get pushed onto private land, there are a couple of freakin' monster muleys in this unit. Just be very careful where you hunt as you will be tresspassed quickly for crossing the wrong fences. Look hard and in the worst little spots and you will find some deer in this unit...

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom