Unit 21 January Hunt

kmontez

I was just wondering if anyone has hunting this unit during the january bow hunt.. What is the activity like in regards to deer... I have hunted this unit with a rifle many times, and the bucks are usually being loners and can be tough to find. During the January bow hunt do you see more activity with the rut somewhere around that time? This is my first time hunting 21 in January.. Just wondering what to expect..

I have hunted it a couple of times with the bow. Find the does and you will have he bucks with them or very close. Not too hard to find the bucks, just hard to get in close. We were on bucks every day last year and I did shoot a 160 buck last year. unfortunally I lost the blood trail in heavy rain and lost the buck. He was in some very thick oak brush when I hit him and I just couldn't find him. I know he was down no more than a couple of hunderd yards from where I hit him, but after about 8 hours on the first day and 3 hours on the second day I gave up. I hit him twice and I found both of my arrows too. The first hit I was not sure of, but the second I saw go through the front shoulders. Still mad at myself for not finding him.

As Rabid said, find does and find the bucks. Right now the deer are hanging tight in the scrub oak/grass filled draws. Both high and low. Not much action in any of the dry, rocky, or dry areas where I hunt. Does are scattered and bucks still in bachelor groups. We killed one buck this past weekend and relocated a couple of big boys we are hopings stick around until this coming weekend. The deer we killed had tons of juniper berries and grass in his stomach and was covered up in fat.

Fence lines in this unit = private property.

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom