Unit 21 Mule Deer Help

21 is a tough one. I had that tag last year. I could've tagged a forkie but I was holding out. Try the east side of Cooks mesa. I saw a few in there. You should also try down by horseshoe lake, I've seen quite a few good bucks in there. Everyone and thier brother will be driving the roads and it will be loaded with people anywhere north of Bloody Basin. I like to stick to the southern end, less deer but also less people.

Donnie

hunted mule deer once three years ago and had four antelope tags there... the most i ever saw was on top of perry mesa in the canyons leading to the flats.. saw more whitetails then mule deer on my deer hunt, we will be there with four tags for the whitetail hunt this year

LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-07 AT 01:47PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Dec-01-07 AT 01:45?PM (MST)

Thanks for the info. We ended up hunting near the Horseshoe Lake turn off. It was a very ruggerd area with lots of steep ridges that drop off quickly into drainages. We saw very little sign and only a few deer. The weather was hot and the sun was bright. Our plan was to be up high before sun up and sit still and glass for deer feeding and heading to bed down. The conditions caused any deer that were in our area to bed down early and stay in the shade untill sundown. On the 2nd day of our hunt we spotted 4 does feeding across the east slopes heading for cover. We figured if there were any bucks they would be above and away from the does. We galssed for quite a while before spotting 2 bucks beded down in the shade of some Palo Verde trees, watching the does. These deer were about 3/4 of a mile away. We had to cross a huge wash and climb up to a draw in order to get to where we spotted them last as they went over the ridge line. As we were discussing where to go and where the deer might be my buddy spotted the two bucks running across the other side of a little draw. They were trying to sneak away from us when we pulled our guns up to shoot. My buddy shot twice hitting his deer running at 200 yards. A perfect shot put him down. At that point my deer was a little farther and heading for the top of a ridge where he would quickly be out of site. My first shot was a little behind him. Then he turned and was running straight away from me. My second shot I held just above his head. I fired and knocked him down. We ranged it and it was 275 yards. I hit him square in the back between his shoulders. At that point the fun was over and the work began. They both were good sized deer that we had to drag over the ridge and to a was where were able to get our truck to within 1/4 mile. Both deer measured a little over 20" wide. Mine was a 4x4 and Scott's was a 3x3. Not a bad hunt for only getting 2 mornings to hunt and being about 10 miles from my house near Bartlett Lake.

Not a bad hunt for an area that has been hit hard by drought and fires for the past several years.

Thanks for the input.

4751c78915774bba.jpg

4751c836175263eb.jpg

They are a couple nice DEER nothing wrong with that,meat in the freezer,congrads to both of you guys

Congrats to both of you.
You said 3x3 and 4x4. Myabe I'm seeing things but arn't they a 4x4 and a 5x5?

NICE JOB!!! Thats awsome. Thats a tough hunt especially this year with the heat. You guys should be proud of yourselves. I'm really happy for you guys.

Donnie

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom