Unit 21 Roads

Planning early! Going to hunt 21 for mule deer, archery season. Am doing the map work and outlining the private property. Looks like a lot of it! The CDW hunter map of the unit shows roads on its street view which are labeled. Are they useable roads even though they go through private property? Roads like East Baxter Pass, West Baxter. Four A Ridge road, W. Creek, Atchee Ridge, Lone Spring Ridge Loop.

The private property at the top of Bitter Creek by the Utah boarder has roads, but the gates are locked and they do not let you through.

The Baxter Pass road is open all the way across even though it does go through some private land.

sled_guy

At the top of Douglas Pass can I take the Four A Ridge Road and travel to the east?
At the top of Douglas Pass can I take the East Baxter Ridge Road and travel to the west?

Thanks! I've done some research, talked with biologist/wardens, bowsite, got all the maps, studied Blm and private land. Lots of inconsistencies about this unit. Lots. Hard to weed through the BS to get the truth. Will get very serious about it come June. Going to apply for mule deer in Nevada too, as usual. Any honest help from you, much appreciated.

I just drew my 2nd season tag up there. Went up this weekend and drove the highway from Fruita to Rangley to Meeker and back down into Rifle just to get an idea of the country. My buddy will be hunting in GMU 22 on the border of 21. Plan on camping with him and hunting on my own in 21. Any info you could pass along would be greatly appreciated.

Also any resources on the best maps you've found would be helpful too. Looked at a couple on the internet but they don't show the last time they were updated. I'd be glad to share what I found on my scouting trip with you in return.

Have done lots of research from the computer and phone here in NORTHERN California. Just from what I've gathered, if you are camping with a buddy who is hunting Unit 22, then your choice is easy. Hunt the SWA Sq S Ranch. Area holds deer and elk.

This message may post twice. ? I've done a lot of home research. Maps and more maps, google earth, flash earth, lots of phone calls to past hunters and to game officials. If you are planning on camping with a buddy so he can hunt Unit 22 and you are going to hunt Unit 21, it is a no brainer. Hunt SWA Square S Ranch. Plenty of deer and elk.

>This message may post twice.
>? I've done
>a lot of home research.
> Maps and more maps,
>google earth, flash earth, lots
>of phone calls to past
>hunters and to game officials.
> If you are planning
>on camping with a buddy
>so he can hunt Unit
>22 and you are going
>to hunt Unit 21, it
>is a no brainer.
>Hunt SWA Square S Ranch.
> Plenty of deer and
>elk.

LOL the SWA is a freaking zoo even in the archery season. The animals get pushed out in a hurry. Thus they end up on private or off the top of the cliffs into the upper east Douglas drainage. I have seen the elk leave that property on the opening weekend of archery and only comback if someone on the private blows them up. It will be ok for deer as the migrate through that country during that time of year the ywill move through but it is nearly impossible to find a camp site up there in the archery... Lot more hunters in the rifle.

As far as the roads from the top of Douglas. You can go west all the way to Utah and all the way north to Rangely if you put it all together the right way. Key areas to look at are on douglas, east douglas, Big ridge, whiskey peak, texas mountain. The deer will be higher during the 2nd rifle season. Most of the unit is really good winter range, but may be lacking bucks or any deer during the 2nd rifle season. Hunt the steepest thickest crap you can and you will be fine.

Good luck...

How hard does that high country on the south side of the Unit get hunted. From what I saw up there it looks good. From what I heard most hunters up there stick to the roads and the northern area around Rangely and the Dragon Highway get hit harder than the south end. Also heard that the wild horses in the Douglas areas and Texas Mountain make the hunting kind of hard. I've been hunting mulies for a long time and I plan on doing some more serious scouting before season so I'm sure I'll be alright but I am eating all this info up. I'm so damn excited to draw that tag it's all I think about

Again the deer will be higher in 2nd season. In second season there will be hunters everywhere, but I would think most deer are a little higher. The Dragon Road (Dragon 500) is worse during 3rd season. Depending on weather I would start higher and work lower. The only exception would be looking for a buck that is living on the river bottom. Most locals or a guide will have those bucks scouted out. There is a lot of good ground by Rangely and on the north end. People will hunt the roads a lot and as a result it will be important to get off the beaten path.

Unit 21 2nd season is no big deal. They give out a lot of tags and it is not nearly the same hunt as the 3rd season. I would still suggest starting higher up and working down to lower. Being mobile and working your butt off. The big bucks will be holed up well and not nearly as accessible as 3rd season.

Again a good buck could be found anywhere but with the number of tags in 2nd season being higher you will definitely have to work for it. It is not a true trophy hunt IMHO a chance at a 180 yes... A good chance at a 160ish yes, chance to see 2-3 bucks larger than 180ish? Not for most people in the unit.

You can drive to the east from top of Douglas pass but not the west. Robertson's (Twin Buttes Ranch) have the gate locked on the west side and also have some property posted on the east side as well.

You can make it over to Baxter pass road from the north side of the pass, but I think you have to go down Missouri creek and last year it was getting in rough shape, starting to wash out. Actually, many roads are almost washed out, some even for ATV access. Not necessarily a bad thing. There are a lot of roads in areas, so avoid getting on the wrong road with a GPS.

I seemed to see more bucks on East Douglas creek. Looked like a local living just off the road was maybe running some hound dogs and hopefully getting some lions.

Weather can play a role as well.

Thanks for the info. I'm ready now. Got the maps, got the GPS with the Colorado chip, tag is on its way, am aware of the "patrolers" on private ground, am bracing for the opening weekend crowds. Lookin forward to August 31st!

Second season, Take chains and a spare tire or two.
Pray for weather. Take a look at Texas and up on rabbit

Might be there also. Buddy drew 2nd season also.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom