Unit 21B

Cookie2

Very Active Member
Ok here's your classic "where do I go?" Post for anyone willing to help a feller out!
My boss swears he had a dyslexic moment and didn't realize it until he got his successful notice from NMDGF. His hunt code was for 21B instead of unit 34. I haven't checked to see about the validity of his claims but he really is a great boss and he has requested that I try and pick the brains of some of my MM buddies and see if I can get a little help for him.
He has done quite a bit research and is hearing that there is a lot of private making it a little hard to access the public areas. I guess it would help if I put that he is hunting elk! He has decided to give it a go as he doesn't wanna waste the tag so can anyone give me just a little help here as to general areas where he might find a bull and access points to the public? He has stated also that he is not against paying a trespass fee to gain access to public thru private if this is an option as well....
Thanks in advance for any help I might recieve....

Well he will most likley have to pay to hunt on someones ranch! There is big bulls down in 21, but alot of private property. The thing to do is get ahold of the local game and fish officer down there he will be able to help you out!

Curtis, there is very little public land on 21B and the elk that are on it typically don't stay on it much past the first bit of hunting pressure on opening morning. First shot sends them running for their private hideouts... In my opinion 25 tags is too many tags for the very limited public acreage in the unit. In fact, there are lots of trespassing issues in this unit as a result of such limited public access (do not cross any fencelines in 21B or you will be on private land and trespassing). The unit is almost all private and there are some good bulls in it, but almost all of the mature elk taken in 21B are on private land and are taken on pretty high dollar hunts. I spend a ton of time in 21A, 21B and 16C and 21B is most definitely a pay to hunt unit where you will most likely have to pay for access if you can find it. If he can get good private land access your buddy will likely have solid odds of getting into a good bull or two. There are some great bulls in the unit but there is just too little public land for the amount of tags given out.

My intent is not to rain on any parades or keep anyone out of a honeyhole, but I've honestly seen this hunt be very frustrating for many a public land elk hunter.

PM me if you have any specific questions.
-Cody

Thanks for all the input guys. I thinkk the boss is looking for some specific names of ranchers he can work out a deal with to gain access to public lands thru. If anyone knows contact info for ranches would you mind sharing? I will look up e-plus info and pass that on to him but if anyone KNOWS a rancher that this might be possible with.....
And Paul, I think you're right!!! lol

New Mexico Guides & Outfitters

H & A Outfitters

Private and public land hunts since 1992 for elk, mule deer, sheep, pronghorn, black Bear & lion hunts.

505 Outfitters

Public and private land big game hunts. Rifle, muzzleloader and archery hunts available. Free Draw Application Service!

Sierra Blanca Outfitters

Offering a wide array of hunt opportunities and putting clients in prime position to bag a trophy.

Urge 2 Hunt

Hunts in New Mexico on private ranches and remote public land in the top units. Elk vouchers available.

Mangas Outfitters

Landowner tags available! Hunt big bulls and bucks. Any season and multiple hunt units to choose from.

Back
Top Bottom