Unit 22 goes 2 -pt only?

S

ShaneR_LewID

I've hunted this unit alot during the 90's and off and on during the past 8-10. Was even thinking about a backpack hunt there this year, but just now looked at the Regs :(

Anyone know the scoop on unit 22 going 2-pt for BOTH archery and rifle muleys? I can see maybe rifle, but archery too? Lost opportunity without hurting the resource there I believe. And why not get rid of the rut hunt drawing and put the tags into a sept-oct rifle hunt with double the tags so you can increase opportunity?

Rut hunts for mule deer are certainly neat but they are really hard on mature bucks.

And if the unit is in such dire straights, I think the 2-pt regs are a bad idea. Close the rifle general buck. Open up archery(Aug 25 -sept 19), and muzzleloader(sept 20-oct 10 no scopes) for opportunity. Have a controlled rifle hunt(Oct 10-Nov 3). The 2-pt general regs are just going to kill the rest of the yearling bucks with all the people that scour this unit during rifle season.

Make people less successful - have more hunts - have more mature bucks. How hard of a concept is that?

I guess I failed to keep tabs on 2008 management plans for Idaho.
Although giving input wouldn't have helped much anyway, my opinions obviously aren't widespread beliefs.

shane,
some of us feel your pain. giving id fun and games input is like talking to a wolf, telling it not to kill elk for fun. they just don't listen or get it. It seems they are like the bannock county commisioners, they make and change the book constantly only to further the confusion. Your right, if the unit is in such dire striaghts, why kill off all the two points, so the next year, there will be no three points or small fours. I know, just doesn't make sense.

LAST EDITED ON May-27-08 AT 03:34PM (MST)[p]YEP!!! all you have to do is look at unit 40 to see how well that don't work..
it amazes me how many folks go out and hunt two point only hunts..

Wow half the people on here think they can do a better job than people who study and plan these things for a living. I think that changing 22 to a two point unit is the best idea the fish and game has come up with in a long time. You give this unit 5-6 years and it will be the new "Tag to Draw" and If you dont like the new rules go some where else, just like the fish and game wants you to.

Regulations are not always set on biologists' recommedations. The 2-point bow restriction on archers is utterly ridiculus, bow hunters just do not have an impact on mature bucks in the unit.

And please show me all the units that the "people who study and plan these things for a living" have done so well on over the last 10 years of Idaho's mule deer management? Maybe they don't even need a new 10 year plan ;)

supply and demand!

Only so many deer and more and more people hunting. I understand both points of view; however, the survey that all of us took (or should have taken) says that we want to hunt every year and shoot big bucks! i dont care what kind of education F&G has, that wont be an easy fix unless we all have to hunt with spears!

My opinion is, manage for the deer (quality and numbers) and only use the surveys as a guideline. there is no way they can do what the survey results wanted! but the 2 point rule is sort of a solution to what people asked for. think about it??

also, there is no way that all the forky's will be killed. there will be 3's and 4's next year, every year. i dont support the fork only plan of attack but its not as black and white as some say it is.

travis

I know all the archers are not killing all the huge bucks. Unit 22 will be the new unit 11 F&G playground. And where can I get a copy of the F&G management results from other units, love to see that! just my 2 cents

Ok I just noticed in the regs, controlled hunt #1067-

unit 22 controlled archery , 25 permits Aug30-Sept30

Haha, archers get 25 and rifle gets 40 rut tags? Where is the rationale? Unbelievable.

No matter how you look at it and dosent matter how they divide the tags up, you gotta realize that in 6-8 years this country will produce the best trophy mule deer hunting in Idaho. I have hunted this unit for elk for 12 years and have seen lots of huge bucks every year. There allready there just let the hunters take out all the small bucks and let the good genetics pass down. The fish and game has the right idea.

You said in the last 12 years you've seen plenty of good bucks. Do you think a majorty of people are going to continue to hunt this unit for a 2-point only. I myself find that hard to believe! Hey, it's a done deal. Now will see.

"No matter how you look at it and dosent matter how they divide the tags up,"

Did you really mean this? I mean, how they divide the tags up is what opportunities hunters have to hunt (or apply for). I did not know this was insignificant, perhaps you meant something else.
I believe it does matter how the tags are divided up, and there should be some rationale behind it.

At any rate I'm going to give the regional wildlife manager in McCall a call next week and ask why the tag #s and seasons have been distributed the way they are. One big number I'd like to find out is what the archery harvest was in the unit last year for mule deer. Does, bucks, 4pts etc. It should be interesting.
I'll also like to know what future regulations (tag #'s types of hunts) we can likely expect. I'll "try" to post an unbiased report later next week on what was discussed.

Thankyou, I've been looking for that link.
This better prepares me for my conversation next week.

So 2007 just bucks:

Gen rifle: 2298 hunters took 530 bucks, 175 - 4pt or better

Archery: 335 hunters took 30 bucks , 12 - 4pt or better

Controlled rut hunt- 40 hunters took 32 bucks, 21-4 pt or better

I don't see a reason , number wise to limit the archers to 25 "mature buck" tags.
Current success rates indicate they will now kill 2-3 bucks (though I suppose they will try harder if they draw and maybe kill like 4-5).

The real deer killer here is obviously the general rifle. Go ahead and make it another "trophy" unit, but there is no need to step on bowhunters feet in the process.

I feel your pain ShaneR_lewID last year while elk hunting unit 22 I had a 29" 185 class 4X5 at 42 yards and all he had to do was step out from behind that bush and he was mine. It didn't work out but at least I still had the thrill and the opportunity. Thats half of what bowhunting is all about; the close encounters, and your right Shane our harvest rate is very low but we would trade it for anything.
So to think that if I run into that buck next year and all I can do is take a picture of him makes me want to puke.
I agree that unit 22 needs help, and this restriction will help, but I think there is a better way without punishing the bowhunter who contributes very little to the demise of the mature buck.
I understand that the survey said that everyone wants to hunt every year and kill big bucks. There is a simple solution, ask Utah. Make most rifle hunts draw and the rest of the state general archery. The harvest rate is so low with archery the herd numbers will climb. And by limiting the slaughter seasons to draw only the herd will definately benefit. Everyone will still have annual oppportunity they'll just have to buy a bow. For those of you thinking right now "screw bowhunting" let me give you a little perspective. Every bowhunter I every met will tell you that their only regret with bowhunting is that they did start sooner.

Sledhound

I agree with you, by limiting the rifle hunts to help the buck populaction.
Allowing more liberal archery hunts, so alot of people can still hunt every year.
The deer herd will benifit because the archers will have a minimal effect on mature bucks.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom