unit 22 sheep

M

MannyB

Any of you guys hunting in unit 22 for deer during the Oct/Nov.seson and see a nice ram I could sure use the ifno. I've been all over Sagauro Lake by boat and from the 4 peaks rd. overlooking Sandy Beach with no luck. I don't know if they are still in thier summer habitat and haven't moved yet. With Canyon Lake be closed to the pubic until Jan. of 08 for the dam repairs I have no access. Even called the Mesa tonto office and they said no. 19 years and finally drew the tag.

Thanks in advance,
MannyB

I am soooo jealous of this tag! That does suck that canyon lake is closed to boating. I have seen sheep around goat mtn on apache lake this year. I would definately check that area out. If you have a quad or a 4x4 you are willing to beat up a little and willing to hike you can still access the area around canyon lake from 4 peaks. if i remember correctly its the 412 road will take you nearly to the top of blue tank canyon.
If you need somebody to tag along let me know!

Thanks for the info. The forest rd. is #401 and I have been on it numerous times. My last trip was this past Sunday. I hiked in just over 2 1/2 miles up to Blue Tank Canyon where I could overlook Apache Lake. The only problem is the sun is in your face all morning. I'm better off coming in from the lake side and glass.

And your right about beating up the quad on FR 401, it'll tear you up. It's a seven mile ride in low gear 4-wheel drive most of the way.

I did meet a guy that works at the Apache Lake resort. He said that they usually see smaller rams at Goat Mtn. and there were some nice ones closer to the dam. We exchanged numbers and I left him a map of the area. I hope to stay in touch with him.

Again, thanks for the response. This is the first time I have ever posted.

MannyB

let me do some searching for you. i have a freind that has been on a few sheep hunts in 22. the biggest ram they took was taken on the mountain north of the salt river recreation site. you might want to check it out.

That would be great help Hunter1. I see that Tonto has opened Canyon Lake to fishing again. I called down to the Mesa office and asked if there was any restrictions on getting around the lake and they said as long as I'm on foot no problem. Where I need to get is about 3 miles in. I don't know what the terrain is going to look like or if the lake bed is hard or soft. I was also told to check out Sheep Mtn. Accessability is not that easy but doable. It would also be about a 3 mile walk in.

thanks againg and I'll keep you posted,
MannyB

Saw a real nice ram on Stewart Mtn last Jan while Javalina hunting. Glassed him up from the parking lot where all the tubers begin floating down the salt river. Might be worth checking that area out........and you wont have to tear up your vehicle. Good luck and post pics.

LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 05:18PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Oct-28-07 AT 05:16?PM (MST)

Thanks beaner. I'm ready for an easy day to glass. I went to check out Canyon Lake Sat. the 27th to see how far the lake had come down. It did come down quite a ways but it wouldn't be practical to get across. The main body of the lake is now a channel where's I'd have to hike a couple of miles just to get across the parking lot.

This morning (28th) I hiked in from Cottonwood wash into Hidden Springs (very nice). Hiddens Springs is very thick, but once I got through it wasn't a bad hike. I hiked in just over a mile and popped up where it looked fairly easy. I could see Sheep Mtn. and it was 1 1/4 miles away. Looks very sheepy. It was very windy and gusty on top. I could't keep my 15's steady, the wind was so hard that I would lose my balance just sitting in my chair. I did find a ewe/yearling? skull on the way back out.

I will check out Stewart Mtn. I could make in about an hour from where I work.

I took this picture in late August from Canyon Lake

472517d747d56650.jpg

MannyB

stewart mnt is were i was talking about there are a couple of toads in there and you can dam near drive and glass the whole mountain, the sheep tend to stay on the salt river side more. give it a good look and i will keep digging for more info. the rams that you posted are still young but on there way to being great rams.you have 30 days to hunt so hold out for that 175 plus it can be done if you have the time to put in.

Thanks hunter1.

Matter of fact I glassed Stewart Mtn. this afternoon. I sat in the Salt River Rec. parking lot and glassed for a couple of hours. I also sat sy the curve heading towards the entrance of Saguaro Lake. And the last 1/2 hour of light I glassed from Butcher Jone entrance. I didn't see anything but I wasn't dicouraged. It's close enough that I can head out after work. I plan on going back on Friday.

Thanks again,
MannyB

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-07 AT 10:04PM (MST)[p]LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-07 AT 10:00?PM (MST)

LAST EDITED ON Nov-21-07 AT 09:59?PM (MST)

I finally spotted sheep at Stewart Mountain. My buddy Dan picked them up first. We were glassing from the Tonto Rec. parking lot by the Saguaro Lake Ranch and picked up two rams, two ewes and a yearling ram. This ram in the photo had a radio callor and a number 2 or 12 tattooed on his ear. The hunt is coming fast now.
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/47450daa5a53e872
http://www.monstermuleys.info/dcforum/User_files/47450ddd5b7cabe2

47457fc460bc6f59.jpg

47457ff960f0ca30.jpg

Sorry about that. Here is one of the rams I saw Sunday. He was eating the barrel cactus when we found him. I didn't see how he got it started. That would have been interesting.

MannyB , looks like your in the "know" for those desert bighorns. Great pics and some pretty good looking rams in there ..Thanks for sharing em...NMHUNTNUTT

HUNT IS OVER!!

I tagged on my 5th day. Here is a quick photo. I will post a few more and details of the hunt up as soon as I get my stuff put away and my sheep taken care of. He's aged at 10 years and scored 169 4/8

4759497a7524d429.jpg

Much congrats Manny! Way to go. Dean tells me that bad boy was HEAVY! Congrats again, we're all happy for ya.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Got my sheep taken care of.

This was the toughest but most rewarding hunt I've even had. I was very Lucky to have my friends help me out. And I want to thank all of you with your information and comments.

As you know opening day was a bust with all of the rain we had. My boat broke down before the hunt so I had to rent a pontoon boat, we named the "Sheep Wreck".
4759ea85185c478f.jpg

Saturday evening we glassed across from the Apache Lake Marina to Goat Mountain. In between the rain all I saw was a muley doe.

Sunday I dropped off two of my buddys Dan P. and Mark into Alder Creek (Party Cove) and they hiked in a couple of miles and stayed all day with out seeing any sheep, Dan did see a small whitetail buck.
My other friends Dan H., Wayne and I went into Ash Creek. Wayne saw
a whitetail buck also. No sheep. The wind blew all day and made it very difficult to glass.

On Monday Mark and Dan P. had to get back to town to take care of some business and come back a few days later. Wayne, Dan H. and I went back into Ash Creek because it just looked sheepy. Dan H. picked up a nice ram about 9am. We watched him for about and 1 1/2 hours. He was at the base of Goat Mountain and stayed in the shade the whole time we saw him. We were hoping he would bed down but it didn't happen. He would feed a little and walk off like he was trying to get somewhere.
4759f07c3f554e93.jpg

The sheep started center left of the picture in the boulders and walked across the base of the cliff and up one of the pass's in the center to the first ledge and walked across into the shaded area and we lost him there. That was the only sheep we had seen that day.

We went back in on Tuesday and see anything. In the mean time I was getting updates from other friends and the unit 24 tag holder. They were seeing sheep near Saguaro lake. My plan was to hunt half a day on Wednesday and pack up in the afternoon to check out other areas.

On Wednesay it was Dan H. and myself. We decided to cover as much ground as we could so we started boating from the dam and glassing along the cliff edge's. The water was calm and just a breeze, it seem perfect. We spotted our first sheep in Alder Creek. It looked likde two small rams. We hiked in about 3/4 mile and could see that it was two samll rams and three ewes. It looked like the rut was still happening.
4759f300513c9348.jpg

We went back to the Sheep Wreck and boated just past Ash Creek and Dan picked up another sheep. It was a ram bedded on a boulder at the base of Goat Mountain. He looked pretty good from the boat but we needed a closer look. We pulled into Ash Creek and hiked up a ways to get a closer look. We put the glass's on him and he looked small. He had nice mass but his horns didn't come down to his jaw line. I decided to pass on him and look for a better one.
4759f3f158d6cc46.jpg

We got back into the boat and by this time I'm thinking about staying another day. We were starting to see more sheep. We boated past the ram I had seen and cruised into Indian Spring. I decided to turn out of the cove and just before we were leaving Dan turned around and saw my ram on a ledge right next to lake in the back of the cove. Dan said "Geeze" (not really, he said something else), you could probably shoot him from the boat. I turned around and there he was as Dan said. I wheeled the Sheep Wreck around and we beached the boat just below where we had seen him. In the mean time he had walked off. I didn't get a real good look at him but he was bigger than the ram we had just left. For the first time I chambered my single shot Encore. We gathered our gear trying to stay calm. The easiest way up was right below where he was standing. The only way out for him was to go straight back from where he was or go south. We started to climb up as quietly as we could with out kicking any rocks (riiiight). As we got up half way I could see the ram looking at us about 100 yards away. I picked up bino's and could see he was a pretty good ram. Heavy, boxy and horns below his jawline. Dan got the camera rolling and I set up my tripod. The ram continued walking up the hill and would look back a few times. I wanted a broadside shot, he looked like he was out about 175-200 yards out. I knew my 25-06 was a tack shooter at 200 yards. Finally he turned boadside, I looked for a few seconds and he looked like the ram for me. I fired, the ram took five more steps and I thought I had missed. I reloaded and Dan said you got him. I looked up and saw his front legs come off the ground and roll down the hill about twenty yards. Dan said your hunt is over. Dan did a great job with the camera. He jerked a little on the shot back was back on him when he walked up and came back down. A palo verde stopped him from rolling any further. I made sure that I watched where he had stopped to make sure he stayed down. My 19 years of waiting was finally over. Dan went down to the boat to pick up the pack frames and I went see my Indian Springs ram. It took me about a twenty minutes to climb that 200 yards, steep and loose rock. When I finally got to him I couldn't beleive the size of this ram. He look huge, I finally saw the left side of the ram, he had a big chunk missing. I never saw his left side as he was walking away. I honestly don't know if I would have taken him if I had seen his left side. But you what, this ram has charater and was king of the mountain for a while. I'm very happy with the ram and can't wait to get him back.
4759fa5e092357f5.jpg

Here is a picture of what the ram was seeing over Apach Lake.
And here are some other pic's of my ram.
4759fbcc124a2788.jpg

4759fb000dae0112.jpg

4759fb1c0e786cdb.jpg

I have some video of the hunt and as soon as I can figure out how to compress and upload it I will.
Thanks again to my old friends and new. My next hunt is for whitetail in Old Mexico.

Holy dog dung I'm jealous. Looks like one helluva hunt and congratulations!!!

If quizzes are quizzical, what are tests?

Manny,
That's a great looking ram. What kind of mearuerments did you get on him. How big were the bases? Its kind of sad once he hits the ground and the hunts all over!!!

I'll have to get a copy of the report from the G&F Dept. The taxidermist has the head now. He has to boil it out. I'll give him a few weeks to get it back and score it again. I still have to wait 90 days for an offical score. His base's were 15".
The hunt always seems quick once you pull the trigger. I've still got the hunt in me right now. I still might go out and glass and video sheep.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom