Unit 22

JACO

Anyone have any luck on this unit this year? With all the drilling and construction going on, I'd like to know how things turned out this year and if the deer and elk are still around. There's definitely a lot of activity in the area, but how has it affected the deer and elk?

Jason

LAST EDITED ON Nov-20-08 AT 01:16PM (MST)[p]My group went 2 for 4 in the 3rd season for deer, but neither buck was real big. A lot slower than the last time we were there in 2006, did not see nearly the same amount of animals until the last 2 days after the snow came. Talked to the game warden and he said the 2nd season was real bad for deer, but the first season Elk was one of the best he has seen. I Saw 2 good bucks (175-180 class)on the second to last day, the first one I was stalking in on as I had spoted him from about a thousand yards, but my stalk got screwed up by some curious road hunters, and I never saw him again. And latter that day I was heading to a spot for the evening hunt when I let a truck that was in more of a hurry than I was go around, only to pull up behind him about a 1/2 mile down the road as he was taking a nice buck a hundred yards from the road off the bed of his truck.
So there were some deer around but it was not as good as 2 years ago in my opinion, not sure if it was the winter kill that the DOW is claiming was not bad in that area, or the warm weather this year or the increased oil and gas activity pushing them out of the area? And I only saw a lone cow elk during the 3rd season. Probly be a few years until we put in again.

Thanks for your input, that's exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I too will probably wait a couple of years before putting in again. Hopefully we can have some mild winters to help rebuild the deer herds, last year's definitely took its toll in a lot of areas.

Jason

I hunt right on the unit 11/unit 22 border, usually in 11. Deer were extremely scarce in the second season. It's pretty evident that the winter was harsh on them. Third season elk was just about as bad. Spent most of the season in 11 and our group saw 1 bull and 4 cows through 4 days. We broke camp and went to 22 for a day. We saw a few elk and I was fortunate to take a small bull.
Waiting a couple of years for the animals to make a comeback might be a good thing especially if you are making a long trip.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom