Unit 222/223 help

Wanderer1961

area newbie here.... much to my surprise i got a late spike tag this year as i had zero points. i've been scouting as much as i can up there without much success. i've been driving the roads and looking at onx quite a bit. gotten into the wilderness a bit not miles...
have been mostly on the west side of grafton and down the muleshoe valley and grassy pass. Can anyone confirm that i'm in the right places ?

thanks for any thoughts.

When you're up there, are you glassing or looking for tracks/sign? Or just driving around? If you aren't glassing, you should be and should be able to determine where the elk are or are not. If you aren't seeing any, you should move to a different area/canyon/vantage point. Then you can make a plan to get in where they are to kill one. Sorry, I don't have unit specific info.

Hopefully you get some (a lot) snow, and if so those foothills will look a lot different, and will make finding elk sign a lot easier. And yes those areas you mentioned hold elk, but almost everywhere in 222 does, and the parts of 223 you mentioned do as well.

haven't given up just yet...
Hopefully you get some (a lot) snow, and if so those foothills will look a lot different, and will make finding elk sign a lot easier. And yes those areas you mentioned hold elk, but almost everywhere in 222 does, and the parts of 223 you mentioned do as well.
getting better each trip.

thought i'd report back as i would like to hear others results as well. i spent a lot of time in the wilderness areas with the thought that the earlier seasons pushed the animals deeper into the brush. seems i was on the right track as i saw a 6 pt survivor several 3+ and multiple cows. Unfortunately i did not see the spike that i had a tag for. So i ended up eating the tag. i'm still considering the time spent as a success as i saw a lot of new country and now have a lot of knowledge that i didn't have before. Maybe I'll get lucky again next year... Thanks to everyone that contacted me earlier.

Nevada Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Big Bucks & Bulls Timberline Outfitters Guide Service

Customized and high quality eastern Nevada trophy hunts for mule deer, elk and antelope.

Western Wildlife Adventures

We offer some excellent mule deer and elk hunts in northeast Nevada.

Currant Creek Outfitters

Nevada, big bucks and big bulls! We hunt for quality not quantity.

Nevada Outfitters & Guides Association

Find guides and outfitters for mule deer, elk, sheep, chuckar, fishing, & more!

SilverGrand Outfitters

Successfully guiding in Nevada for many years. Mule deer, elk, antelope and bighorn sheep hunts.

Hidden Lake Outfitters

Specializing in trophy mule deer hunts along with elk, mountain goat, antelope and mountain lion.

G&J Outdoors

Full time outfitter with 20+ years hunting mule deer, sheep, elk, antelope, lion and chukar.

Mountain Man Outfitters

Offering world class mule deer hunts in some of the most productive units in Nevada.

Nevada High Desert Outfitters

Rocky mountain goats, desert, rocky and california bighorn, mule deer, antelope and elk hunts.

Urge 2 Hunt

If you want an unguided hunt but can't draw your tags, you need to call us.

White River Guide Service

50 years of guiding experience! Mule deer, elk, sheep and cougar.

Back
Top Bottom