unit 23 turkey

tooele

I had a good turkey hunt up on the kaibab a couple of years ago, but I am going to hunt closer to home this year on unit 23 as my 10 year old daughter will be accompanying us. I believe I have found a pretty good spot, but you never know when the hunt comes around. Any way any general guidance on locating some birds would be greatly appreciated. I plan on spending a few weekends up there in april. Thanks.

T

Does your daughter have the Jr. hunt or the regular hunt? My 14 & 16 year old daughters drew the Jr. hunt this year. I have not hunted unit 23 for 9 or 10 years so I am not sure how things have changed since then. Due to coaching duties and a prom on Saturday we are probably going to hunt the first Sunday and Monday of the season.

The key for me when hunting turkeys is to locate them the evening before. Right at last light when there is barely a glow in the sky, I let out a coyote howl. From my experience, if there are turkeys in the area they will gobble. Be back the next morning when it is still pitch black out and you just might have a chance.

One more thing, I have had more luck finding turkeys in up and down terrain rather than flat areas. Especially in the mornings.

Good luck to you and your daughter.

She doesn't have the junior tag, she is just accompanying me this year to get a feel for hunting. I put her in for the fall junior hunts. I used to hunt turkeys in Iowa quite a bit, but have put in minimal effort in Arizona. I have a nice bit of private land on unit 23 that is loaded with turkeys at this point. Hopefully, they will stay around. According to the owner they did last year. He is letting me hunt it as long as I will take him out and call him in a turkey the second weekend of the hunt. I will go up and figure out their patterns in a couple of weeks. I hope it is a good hunt, so my daughter will get excited about hunting.

T

A crow call works very well in locating turkeys there.
I have hunted unit 23 numerous times.

4678aec03a21ae00.jpg

Ever use the owl or piliated wood pecker? Just found out my daughter drew a cow elk for the fall too. Should be fun seeing a 10 year girl trying to put down a cow elk.

T

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom