Unit 33 coues deer

I know this is a mule deer forum but Im itching to kill a solid coues buck after this crappy year in mexico and have gotten recommendations to put in for 33 October. Anyone harvest good bucks in 33? opinions on the unit?

That’s the one all the locals from Tucson seem to favor. Supposed to be good numbers of deer. Lots of hunting pressure but they must like it for a reason.

I have hunted 33 2x but I had the Late Dec hunt, so not sure if my experience will be good for OCT, but let me know if you draw and I can tell you where I hunted,

Can’t imagine what made Mexico “crappy” for you, but I bet it wasn’t the number of people you’ll see in 33. Like said above, it borders Tucson city limits.

33 gets hammered. Look elsewhere IMO. If you think Mexico is crappy you will be really disappointed with Arizona Coues hunts. If you are happy with a small 3x3 you should be fine. If you have goals of something larger I'd look further south.
Mexico normally isnt crappy, just this year with the drought there was hardly any rut and the bucks werent moving at all. What units further south would you recommend?

I have hunted 33 2x but I had the Late Dec hunt, so not sure if my experience will be good for OCT, but let me know if you draw and I can tell you where I hunted,
I will get drawn if I put in, I looked at the odds and for the first hunt its 100 percent and I cant see the point creep being that bad in that unit.

I will get drawn if I put in, I looked at the odds and for the first hunt its 100 percent and I cant see the point creep being that bad in that unit.
How many points do you have? Not sure how many it takes for the late hunt, but there was no one around both times I had that hunt

How many points do you have? Not sure how many it takes for the late hunt, but there was no one around both times I had that hunt
I have 5, reason why I want to do the first hunt is because they will be patternable and all 7 residents who applied last year with 5 points drew the tag as 1st choice so it seems highly likely.

I have 5, reason why I want to do the first hunt is because they will be patternable and all 7 residents who applied last year with 5 points drew the tag as 1st choice so it seems highly likely.
And it's usually brutal hot that time of year. Be prepared for 15 minutes of glassing time each morning and the evenings are pretty much a bust. This year in October it was 105 at camp during the day. The deer ran for shade as soon as the sun hit them. Long hot days but yes they can be patterned. Gotta be careful with rattlesnakes that time of year as well. The later hunts are much more pleasant weather wise.

And it's usually brutal hot that time of year. Be prepared for 15 minutes of glassing time each morning and the evenings are pretty much a bust. This year in October it was 105 at camp during the day. The deer ran for shade as soon as the sun hit them. Long hot days but yes they can be patterned. Gotta be careful with rattlesnakes that time of year as well. The later hunts are much more pleasant weather wise.
true that snakes are the worst, just gotta sit all day and glass the northern oak slopes ive heard

true that snakes are the worst, just gotta sit all day and glass the northern oak slopes ive heard
You can try but it's just not realistic with the heat rays unless you are pretty close. A lot of these deer bed in thick areas you cant glass into. It's doable but can be brutal mid day. Early-Mid November would be better for that.

On the snake issue… I realize it’s probably area depending, but generally speaking is there that many it becomes a concern? I’ve always wondered how it is early season

A friend had an October WT hunt years ago, not unit 33 but one of the other southern units. He has never applied for another early hunt since because of the snakes. This is a grown ass man who doesn't scare easily but he said never again. I usually do not begin hunting quail until cooler weather hits because I got tired of running into so many snakes. I hate snakes!

Even in January they are around. Ran into a B&C rattler Jan 6 in the Chiracauhas this year....big ole rabbit eater, maybe even coues pups too...lol

A friend had an October WT hunt years ago, not unit 33 but one of the other southern units. He has never applied for another early hunt since because of the snakes. This is a grown ass man who doesn't scare easily but he said never again. I usually do not begin hunting quail until cooler weather hits because I got tired of running into so many snakes. I hate snakes!
I’d rather eat rattlesnake than quail, any day.

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom