Unit 27 Late Elk-Packer with horse/mule?

crcountry

Quick Question/Reference: Are there any local folks in Alpine who would be willing to pack out a quartered elk during late Nov? I have 14 points going into the 2024 draw. I may draw it. I'm also thinking about paying the hunter's ed course fees....then with 15 points I think I'm pretty good. Im DIY, and the horse and mule scenario would eliminate the pack out factor.

18 DIY hunts....11 dead bulls. All on public land up to 340". It's a pace and pride thing. I hate following anyone. After all of these years, my elk partners/buddies are always on my 6....I've never known anything else. Lastly, I'd rather find/harvest a 320" on my own than kill a 350" with a guide. I've just never felt that a guided hunt was mine in some weird way. I've done Alberta mule deer 3x guided. Very fun. Alaska moose x1. Also very fun. But both of those instances required a guide.

I may change my answer when/if I draw a NV bull tag!! But for now, in 2024, at 50 years old....I'm still in the game....but not for much longer!
If and when you draw the nevada elk tag a guide won't be necessary. Especially if your just acrossed state lines from here

I live in Maryland actually. Every hunt I do is a pretty big commitment that starts years before the hunt. This hunt is coming up for sure....and Nov 2024 isn't too far off. Nevada?....I may simply be ready to follow someone and attempt to find peace and happiness along the way at that point. 17 points in NV.....it may come soon, but then again it may not.

Who thinks paying someone $500 (or more) to pack meat out lessens the DIY commitment? I’ve utilized several pack outs in my elk life, and I don’t regret any of them. My knee replacement 100 days ago speaks, to a certain extent, to the hundreds of high country miles I’ve put on my boots with a heavy pack. Work smarter, while working hard…both ideas can be employed simultaneously

Just don't portray yourself as some hard-core lonewolf leading the pack leaving everyone else in the dust. . And then ask for someone to pack out your elk. A knee replacement, to no extent, shows anything about high country miles. My grandma has two and she's never stepped foot in the woods.

95% of longrangers posts are negative. Always a keyboard warrior. I didn’t think you portrayed yourself that way, even after rereading your posts several times. Some just can’t help themselves. Grandma probably needed knee replacements from repeated azz kickings she had to give her grand kid. Good luck on your future hunts.

As you drive into Alpine on 180/191 there’s a business just north of town that does horseback trail rides in the summer. During hunting season he provides a pack out service. Price would depend on how far off the road etc. I‘ll get his name & number next time I’m in town.

Here’s the outfit in Alpine that will pack out an elk. They primarily deal with DIY hunters who are smart enough to save their backs and knees .

IMG_1417.jpeg

Arizona Hunting Guides & Outfitters

SilverGrand Outfitters

Offering mule deer, elk, antelope, bighorn sheep, javelina, and turkey hunts in Nevada and Arizona.

Arizona Elk Outfitters

Offering the serious hunter a chance to hunt trophy animals in the great Southwest.

A3 Trophy Hunts

An Arizona Outfitter specializing in the harvest of World Class big game of all species.

Arizona Strip Guides

Highly experienced and highly dedicated team of hardworking professional Arizona Strip mule deer guides.

Urge 2 Hunt

THE premier hunts in Arizona for trophy elk, mule deer, couse deer and javelina.

Shadow Valley Outfitters

AZ Strip and Kaibab mule deer, big bulls during the rut, spot-n-stalk pronghorn and coues deer hunts.

Back
Top Bottom