Unit 27 september deer hunt

Browningbar23

Early September hunt, would like some info on the deer quality I could find there. I am looking in to backpacking in to an area, so im willing to get off the road. Any info would be apperciated.
Thanks

If you've not been there (or very similar).....don't go. It is the biggest, steepest and most rugged country you will encounter. DO NOT underestimate the physicality. It's not just willingness; it's TOUGH!

That being said, it has been a 4-point only unit for several years. It is very possible to find more than one 4 to 6 year old deer in a hunt of a few days. The genetics are not as good as some places (of course, monsters can grow any place), but a 160 to 175 class deer is well within reason. Anything is possible and the deer have a chance to grow old, but it is not the best genetics in the state.

Take a bear tag. Take a wolf tag. Take a lion tag. There will be plenty of each of them. Be prepared for 3000 feet of elevation (or more) of 45 degree inclines (even worse) that you will do more than once a day.

Good luck.

The majority of 27 sits on the Idaho Batholith - a large granitic formation. So, base chemical composition is not conducive to productive wildlife populations. However, recent fires have had positive effects (fairly immediate for elk, few years lag time for deer for increased shrub production) and a few larger antlered bucks have been taken in some of the recovering burn areas. Psot-season buck ratios have been holding near the objective of 25/100 does. General season has been any buck for several years; late controlled hunt has been 3-pt or larger for several years.

Tom Keegan
IDFG Salmon Region Wildlife Manager

LAST EDITED ON May-30-08 AT 12:32PM (MST)[p] It is rough country, if you're in shape and under 50 you should be OK. Be prepared to bone your animal and pack it out with a quality pack!

One voice of warning, do not go by yourself.

Thanks for the info guys. I plan on backpacking in and camping on top of a ridge. So i can look down in both side until i spot something worthy of a stalk. And I don't have a problem boning an animal out, its the only way to go.

Good luck, bar. Let me know how you do.

I am also going to try a backpack hunt in 27 for early deer. I have hunted it a little and there is not a lot of game--and when you do see something you often need a helicopter to get to it. That being said, there are a few nice bucks taken each year, and at least you wont have to fight with any ATVs. You may be lucky enough to see some sheep, too.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom