Unit 28 Scouting Trip Proves Fatal

S

SoleSearcher34

Well my buddy JDuncan is gearing up for his first elk hunting trip ever in second season and I will be hosting/helping so my boy and I loaded up for a little scouting trip to unit 28 today to just check in on one of my honey-holes and see what was cookin. Overslept and didn't make it up to the spot until 9am. Noticed one other local rig parked and assumed they were first season hunters. Undeterred we grabbed our packs and walked down the ridge about a quarter mile to a bit of a vantage point over looking the back end of one of the numerous private ranches in the area. Just after stopping, I heard a sound from way down in the private that sounded suspiciously like a bugle. I responded with a couple cow calls and was immediately answered by a hunter with a hoochie-mama barely 100 yards below us. A couple more cow calls later and he was coming to us. I thought....."oh great, found the hunter now what am I gonna do". Well I figured that I didn't drive over 90 miles to not see if I couldn't call a bull in so what the heck, might as well invite this fella to the scouting party. As he walked up, I walked down to him and introduced myself and the boy. I asked if he had heard any bugles to which he answered that he indeed had heard several from way down into the private ground. I explained that we were scouting for my buddies first elk hunt the following weekend and that we would be doing some calling in the area. I then asked him straight up, "would you like me to call a bull in for you?" The guys name was Ben and he was from Florida and was on his first elk hunt. I'm sure in the back of his mind he was thinking that I was out of mine and full of crap but nevertheless I think he realized we were sorta stuck with eachother in that area for the morning so he said "okay". I told him we needed to go back up the hill about 80 yards and set up to call. Once we were set I broke out my magic cow call and began calling. Within 5 minutes we had 5 or 6 different bulls bugling from about 1000 to 1500 yards away down in the private ground. At about ten minutes into the calling, one of the bulls sounded like he was definitely coming. It took about ten more minutes for the bull to close the distance up the hill out of the ranch and his last bugle sounded just out of sight in the timber maybe 150 yards below us. Seconds later I spot the bull trying to flank us in the lodgepole about 75 yards to our right. I get the bull pointed out to Ben and he gets him in the scope, settles in on him and squeezes the trigger. The bull bucks, struggles forward behind the trees maybe 30 feet and crashes down kicking. BBD!!! Ben had just killed his first bull elk at less than 100 yards with a guy he had just met less than 25 minutes before! Crazy I tell ya! I had not gotten a good look at the rack through the timber but enough to tell he was plenty legal. As we worked our way over to the bull I finally got where I could see him laying there in the pines. I was shocked! This was a way better bull than I expected. This was the first look we had at the bull on the ground.
scouting009.jpg

I handed Ben the binos and took this picture while he repeatedly said..."oh my god, oh my god"
We walked up closer and I snapped another photo
scouting010.jpg

By the time we were standing next to the bull, Bens hands were shaking like a leaf. I bet this guy said thanks to me 50 times and shook my hand 20 times.
Here is Ben with his dandy public land bull
scouting014.jpg

My son Taylor and I with the bull
scouting016.jpg

A couple more shots of me with the bull
scouting018.jpg

scouting019.jpg

After Ben called his buddies down from over the ridge we shook hands and headed back for the truck. We did help show him how to cape the bull as he was definitely going to have it mounted. On the way down we spotted this cute little fella next to the road.
scouting005.jpg

I hated to break it to Jason that a hunter killed a bull in my spot this morning but loved telling him that we left at least 4 or 5 more bugling down there so I think we might still have a good time next weekend.

Sorry guys, first post with pictures....not sure how to correct the size issues, kinda got the cart in front of the horse here.

Classic story! Guy is gonna go home and think how easy that was. Did he have a clue how to gut it or is still working on that?

Calif_Mike

LOL, having hunted deer in Florida he knew how to gut it but it was funny to see him stand there completely overwhelmed by the size since it was the first dead elk on the ground he had ever seen. He must have stood between the hind legs for five minutes before he actually put the knife to work. I did jump in and get him started and then he was off to the races. Luckily for them it was only about 1/4mile from their truck....uphill but only a couple hundred feet in elevation. Based on my conversation with him, he understands they don't often come that easily. Needless to say, I have a standing offer to come down to florida for some free saltwater fishing. Oh and yeah, he is hooked on elk for sure now.

That was an awesome thing you did! I am sure that what goes around will come around for you.

man thats a great story!!! that had to make u feel good even if u didnt know ben.had to be good for the boy to.if i where u id go saltwater fishing,

great story! what a great example of a sportsman you set for your boy, too.

mshred

Great story and nice bull. That was a good thing you did and I hope similar good fortune finds you.

"If a nation expects to be ignorant and free... it expects what never has and never will be." -Thomas Jefferson

That's a great bull for that unit. Awesome thing you did there, very sportsmanlike, and a great example for your son. Thank you.

Big Congrats to both of you!
Now where do I send my order for the super special cow elk call complete with instructions??!
:D

Awesome job...where do I sign up to be the guided buddy from Minnesota? >---">-

Now thats a story that will make you feel good, I wish I could run into you on the mountain. Your welcome in my camp anyday. Thats a dandy bull. Are the bulls still bugeling in a lot of the state? Last year 1st season didnt hear a bugle.

Hey guys, thanks again for the kind words. Unless it is obvious that someone is a real jerk or worse a bad sportsman then there really isn't anyone I won't help.....guess it's just my nature. If I had bumped into any of you out there I would have done the same thing. I just love calling elk in whether it is september, october or even november. And to answer you question camonick.....from what my buddies have told me the bulls have been talking good over on the west slope too. I would be suprised if we don't hear them talking on their own this coming weekend/week. Unfortunately for my buddy, he can't get out of work for saturday(opening day of 2nd season) so we will probably only have sunday to hunt for now. I hope we can pick some of the "karma fruit" I have been planting and call him in a bull sunday. He is REALLY excited to be going on his first ever hunt for anything. Harvest or not we will have a great time out hunting which is more important than just the kill.

I'm wondering if you could come up and call in a few deer to cull through when we're out that way, maybe when you're done we could head to the bar and switch calls?

What a great story & what a great unselfish act on your part, thanks for posting!

Unbelievable!! Awesome story and what a way to be a great role model for your son. You have given the guy from Florida an experience he will remember for a lifetime.

Hunting and being a true sportsmen isn't about being the first or only one to kill an animal. You clearly demonstrated that here.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom