Unit 29 Muzzy tag and Four Mile Canyon fire

LuckyHntr

So does the DOW have any adjustments to hunters that may have a tag in an area that is partially closed due to a fire that is not under control yet?

It is very dry up there. I happen to be scouting Monday when I spotted the smoke from the fire where it hadn't been smoke just 5-10 minutes before. It sounds like the fire fighters (700) are having some luck so far, 30% contained.

I may call DOW to see what they say. Anyone have a similiar experience??

I am wondering the same thing. I have an archery tag and havn't had chance to get out yet due to building a new home (moving in this weekend!). I'm wondering if they will refund your muzzle loading tags--probably not for archery, but you never know? Let me know what they tell you and I'll do the same.

No luck, talked to DOW office in Fort Collins and they said I could get money refunded or find a Muzzy unit that had tags available. I didn't think either sounded attractive.

So, we are headed up today. To hot and dry. Boulder county has a fire band so obviously we will not be having any fires, probably wouldn't any way. I like some of the country just have to know where private is.

Bldrbuck, did you have any luck with your archery tag?

DOW won't change a thing and now national forrest is closed to all rec. uses in the general area that I hunt--it's going to be tricky, but I guess i'll have to find a new place to go. Havn't even gotten out yet...I'm chasing elk over in steamboat this weekend so it'll have to be a short evening hunt for any critter next week during the evening sometime.

A buddy was up last night to check it out. Burned up a lot of our good areas that we frequently see deer. No fresh sign in any of the areas close by that are not burned. Don't really know where to go from here. Might check around Eldorado Canyon and see if i can't locate a few for early next week.

Just got back, hot and dry and noisy. Can't walk anywhere off a trail without making noise. This was my first experience with the unit, I managed to find two bucks last night and hunted for them this morning without luck. This was up on south side of Left Hand canyon. Didn't see many deer at all, so many trees it seems like. I understand why the tags aren't all sold out. Not sure I would go back, unless I could control the weather, ha..

Some fire crews were leaving out Wednesday night but I still heard a helicopter today, they must be still checking for hot spots...

Good luck, there is quite a bit of public around Gross Reservoir.

Colorado Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Rocky Mountain Ranches

Hunt some of the finest ranches in N.W. Colorado. Superb elk, mule deer, and antelope hunting.

Frazier Outfitting

Great Colorado elk hunting. Hunt the backcountry of unit 76. More than a hunt, it's an adventure!

CJ Outfitters

Hunt Colorado's premier trophy units, 2, 10 and 201 for trophy elk, deer and antelope.

Allout Guiding & Outfitting

Offering high quality mule deer, elk, bear and cougar hunts in Colorado units 40 and 61.

Ivory & Antler Outfitters

Hunt trophy elk, mule deer, moose, antelope, bear, cougar and turkey on both private land and BLM.

Urge 2 Hunt

We offer both DIY and guided hunts on large ranches all over Colorado for archery, muzzleloader and rifle hunts.

Hunters Domain

Colorado landowner tags for mule deer, elk and antelope. Tags for other states also available.

Flat Tops Elk Hunting

For the Do-It-Yourself hunters, an amazing cabin in GMU 12 for your groups elk or deer hunt.

Back
Top Bottom