Unit 29 Rifle bull tag

WAPITI39

All
My wife and I drew the Rifle bull tag for Unit 29 (west of leadore). don't worry- we have scouted (just returned last night), talking with biologist, google earth, Onx hunt app, etc, and plan on putting in many more miles of boot leather, this is not of those posts :)

what I am seeking, is someone who has hunted this tag previously who would be wiling to chat Direct message in regards to things to avoid, expected pressure, private access influence on the herds movement, generally things you wouldn't know unless you have experienced it before.

really hoping to get my wife a chance at her first bull. she has had success on deer, bear, and cow elk- just not a bull yet. thanks in advance for anyone who has knowledge and willing to chat a bit.

Do you have horses? You can get away from most hunters and have a great hunt if you do. I was disappointed in the number of illegal 4 wheeler and UTV trails up most ridges. There are plenty of elk. Don?t blow all your days off early. We went late in the hunt and there were barely any hunters and it was great.
If you head up Hayden creek now you can have the rare opportunity to talk to people from all 50 states. You won't see many, if any, Idaho hunters.

LAST EDITED ON Sep-10-19 AT 04:44PM (MST)[p]we do not have horses- will be hiking in. funny you mention that about Hayden creek- it was covered up with out of state hunters for some reason this past weekend. I appreciate the insight into waiting further into the season. I currently have all my time set for the beginning- thought being, it would be around the rut more- seems maybe not the case? thanks for the chat.

Tell you what, I'll make your a deal. I'm leaving tomorrow to spend 10 full days of hunting there. I can PM you now and we can exchange phone numbers tonight. If you tell me what you've seen and know I'll in return I'll call you on my way bank on the 22nd or 23rd and give you a full scouting report. This is not a joke but a legit offer. Let me know I get up at 4am to head out.

You?ll get the rutting action at the beginning but the elk may have been highly pressured in some more accessible areas from all the archery hunting. The last week all the deer hunting has closed. The weather is cooler and the bulls might start moving down a bit. The last week has some real opportunity as well.

very good to know- I was also hoping with deer season being closed until the 10th, that the elk could be good between the 1st, and the 10th. sounds like a consistent better later into the month. unfortunately for me and my wife. we have the 1st two weeks off on October and cannot change the dates. :) we will do our best. thanks all

Give me a pm and will let you know what I have seen in the past. I live in challis and there are more access points than leadore. All the out of staters are the ones walking for archery. A lot of the 4 wheelers are killer B folks.

Yes- thank you. Been meaning to update. We were able to get my wife on a satellite bull 5x5. She is very excited. Steep tough hikes for sure. Thanks all for your input. Greatly appreciated

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos

Idaho Hunting Guides & Outfitters

Bearpaw Outfitters

Idaho Deer & Elk Allocation Tags, Plus Bear, Bison, Lion, Moose, Turkey and Montana Prairie Dogs.

Urge 2 Hunt

We focus on trophy elk, mule deer, whitetail, bear, lion and wolf hunts and spend hundreds of hours scouting.

Jokers Wild Outdoors

Trophy elk, whitetail, mule deer, antelope, bear and moose hunts. 35k acres of private land.

Back
Top Bottom